I don't know what to do!!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ohhhhhh.......now I get it....

Unhappy I don't know what to do!!!!!!!

I'm at work!! He's calling and calling...crying screaming, I've ruined his life. I've taken everything away from him. Why am I doing this to him!! It's all me!!! I explained to him AGAIN that I have some things to work thru with counseling before I can have a relattionship!!! He can't except that!!! He keeps on and on...crying and screaming and threatening to come to my work!!! He wants one of the kids because he is so lonely!!! Is this normal????????? I'm losing my peace!!! I feel stupid!!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You sound like your heart is racing and you are freaking out! he's getting a very very strong reaction from you - but you have a choice right now, to stop reacting in this way.

Take a deep breath.

Deeper!

And if you speak to him again keep deep breathing and keep YOUR cool. He cannot continue to ratchet up if you stay level.

"AH the way you are screaming and yelling right now is upsetting. I cannot have a conversation with a person who is in this state of mind."

I mean why on earth a person would think they can bully someone into taking them back is complete insanity as we know!! So just hold steady, stay calm, don't take his frantic phone calls - and if he gets through to you tell him he sounds really stressed and you have your own stress and he should find a professional to talk to about what he's going through because you are not a therapist and you are not going to be bullied into listening to his drama. Period. Tell him to STOP! And then go no contact.

I do know what your kids went through last night. It makes me shake and sick to my stomach and I haven't been in their shoes in 30 years...Both of you created that drama for them. You can only choose for yourself whether to keep doing this destructive dance or whether it is just time to sit out the drama with AH.

Also be very clear with him-- tell him "I do not want to be in a relationship with you. All of your bullying and drama and baiting me is further confirmation of why I need time and space to get myself stronger. So I do not want a relationship with you."

If he begs for an explanation tell him clearly, "Because I can't be in a relationship with you. And that's all I have to say." Period. Then STOP talking. Every sentence you give him he will jump on and twist so just stop. Do not engage. You don't owe him an explanation- plus any rational person would understand what you are saying. He is irrational and desperate and that is NOT YOUR problem, but it is your problem if you keep expecting to get a different result from engaging with this twisted mind.

If he comes to your work call the police.
Consider getting an order of restraint.
This is harrassment.

Breathe.

peace-
b

Last edited by Bernadette; 10-03-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Bernadette!!!! Your post was very helpful. I turned my phone off and my coworkers have intercepted his calls. Before I turned my phone off I recieved 10 voicemails and 50 (YES 50!!!!) text messages saying the same thing over and over...."You're a liar!!!" "You're fu***** hateful!!!" Over and over!!! Thank you for the pep talk!!!! I have read it over and over....and I will keep reading it because it is so encouraging. Thank You, Thank You!!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Make a copy of those 50 messages. Get an affidavit fom your co workers on how many calls they intercept. Also, if he shows up at work and you call the police, a copy of the police report.

Take all to the court on Monday to get a RESTRAINING ORDER. It will probably be a 2 or 3 week temporary order with a Court Date set to make it a PERMANENT RESTRAINING ORDER.

This will be considered HARASSMENT AND STALKING.

Then if he does it again, you call the cops on him.

This is out and out mental and emotional abuse.

Please take care of you and the children and be safe.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-03-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Here is Puggrinz's post from the thread "He's done with me". justtakestime you may benefit from reading this because your OP reminded me of Puggrinz:

I welcome you and am glad you are here. I too have been told that we were through. Actually at least once a year I get told this. It used to just tear me up and make me mad and desperate and bring all my abandonment issues to the front. I would tell him he could come home, didn't matter what shape he was in, just as long as I had a body.
Well this year when he pulled his stuff and wrote me the 'I wanna divorce' letter and left, I went to AlAnon. Haven't been in it as long as you, just a few weeks actually. But it has brought me some serenity.
One series of books that I have found really helpful is called "Getting Them Sober." And in these books I have learned that the Addict/alcoholic likes to make us think that they are in charge. That we are dependent on them. When in actuality, it is the other way around. They are very dependent on us. The author states that it is very hard to "lose an alcoholic". Weeks, months, years down the road they reappear, and will try to reenter our lives if we let them. This is true. My father who hasn't spoken to his A X Wife in 20+ years got a call from her the other day to have lunch! So see, they are always around even if they tell you they are done.
I get told the same thing all the time too, that I am so mean. He just can't put up with my meanness anymore. Because I tell him that if he is going to use h he has to go somewhere else. Not here at my house, around my daughter, around me. Every time I make a stand, he tells me we are through. And I guess what I am saying through all this rambling, is he never means it. And neither does yours. If he were through he wouldn't have just stopped by to tuck the kids in, hug and kiss you, blah blah. Like another poster said, he wants his cake and to eat it too. They all do. So you can expect this type of behavior every time you take a firm stand.
What helps me personally get through it, is I picture a little 3 or 4 year old kid standing in the middle of a grocery store aisle and he is pitching a royal fit. I mean he is screaming and yelling to the top of his lungs, he is stomping his feet and jumping up and down and waving his arms all around. He is yelling I hate you mommy, and he might even be pointing at you so there is no mistaking that he is your kid. And he is wanting you to give in. And he is wanting you to react. Even if it is to pop him on the butt, or jerk him up and get in his face and and shake your finger at him and tell him to quit. He wants you to react in some way, ANY WAY, just REACT. And yet, if you just turn your back and start looking at something else, look at the jewelry counter or the pretty towels on the shelves, look at anything, but where this kid can't see your face, just your back. Pretty soon he stops jumping up and down, he stops waving his arms all around, he stops screaming and yelling to the top of his voice, he even stops crying. And as you slowly make your way down the aisle, pretty soon, he pops his thumb in his mouth and follows right along behind you just like nothing happened. And yep, it can be embarrassing. Yep, people are looking at you, thinking in their minds, well if it were me I'd do this, or I'd do that. But they're not you and you're not them. Yep it can be uncomfortable. But it worked. YOU took action, you didn't try to reason, you didn't try to talk sense, you didn't try to bargain or threaten. This kid was beyond all reason, he was beyond all sense, just like a threatening alcoholic addict. Once they see that this kind of behavior does not work with you, that really you could care less (even if you have to fake it), they stop. They stop with the empty silly threats. Doesn't mean they ever stop trying out silly empty threats, they search and search, they never stop trying. And you'll be tired one day and sad, or hungry or just in a weakened state and you'll react. We all do. But then you get back up and brush yourself off and go forward. And the more that you are able to say with your actions 'sorry that just doesn't work with me, but you go ahead and work yourself up into a lather while I walk over here to look at something else' then who knows, it might just be the push that makes him finally get really well. As long as they can keep us upset and talking and defending ourselves and trying to reason with them, they know they are safe. Because as long as we are talking, we are not DOING.
So set your boundaries as to when he can come see the kids. He left, now you can set YOUR rules and boundaries. He doesn't get to have it both ways, oh I'll leave but pop back in whenever. Nope, let him live with his choice. Mine thinks he can leave but pop back in for a booty call whenever the urge hits. No thank you very much. You don't want to put in the day to day you don't get the benefits in my home. I get told the same thing as yours, oh I want to come watch movies with my girls, oh I miss the dogs, oh I need to rake the leaves, oh what ever excuse he can come up with to get over here to see whats going on. Why? Because these are miserable humans! They are not happy! They are in misery and they want every one else to be that way too! They want to look like the good guy, on the outside and do and say things that make us look like the bad guy! They just want to be the good ol' guy and we are the mean mommy. It's what an addict does. They know inside they are no good and what they are doing is no good, but they do everything in their power to make it look just the opposite.
Remember this, addicts/alcoholics don't get with weak women. We are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. We are strong or else we wouldn't have put up with or made it this long. We raise babies, work jobs, manage households, take care of aging parents, feed pets, join PTA, make cupcakes for school, clean our houses all while dealing with an Alcoholic/addicts junk! So baby, you hold your head up high. You don't worry, keep working on yourself and all this other stuff wil sort itself out. When the time is right you will find the questions to your answers. It is a process, and by the time we usually reach out for help we are so sick of the whole situation we just want it to hurry up and get better. We want to get instantly healed. But it just takes time.
Thank you for sharing your story. Please keep coming back. Take a look at the "Getting Them Sober" series of books. Take from them what you need and leave the rest. There is a lot of good info in them. Please keep up with Alanon. Just remember, you are not alone. We are all here for you.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Laurie and Learn. I think one of the biggest mistakes I made in the last 2 weeks of his SUPER DAD/SUPER HUSBAND routine I slept with him. He was over one night doing his SUPER thing and kept on and on and on about crawling in bed together wanting to be with me. I caved in. Now I am emotionally involved again. I wish I hadn't done it.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish I hadn't done it.

*sigh*

Well. The past is gone. You are free in THIS moment!

Forgive yourself, let it go and make a little plan that includes acceptable healthy choices for your future! You have a right to change your mind. You have a right to feel differently today than you did 2 weeks ago. It's your life.

peace-
b
Old 10-03-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, now he keeps calling our 15 year old son wanting him to live with him. Our son is afraid he will do something stupid and says it will be part my fault if he does. That hurt when he said that. I told our son that I am not responsible for his AD's decisions. He said if I would give his AD a chance that it may be different this time......... The kids know he hasn't had a drink in 3 months, but they don't understand the "trust" side on my part.

My son just called and said he is going to his AD's to spend the night. I'm not sure what to think of that...................
Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I think one of the biggest mistakes I made in the last 2 weeks of his SUPER DAD/SUPER HUSBAND routine I slept with him. He was over one night doing his SUPER thing and kept on and on and on about crawling in bed together wanting to be with me. I caved in. Now I am emotionally involved again. I wish I hadn't done it.
I've done that too so don't feel bad. You're only human. You can get yourself out of the emotional attachment again the same as you did previously.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Make a copy of those 50 messages. Get an affidavit fom your co workers on how many calls they intercept. Also, if he shows up at work and you call the police, a copy of the police report.

Take all to the court on Monday to get a RESTRAINING ORDER. It will probably be a 2 or 3 week temporary order with a Court Date set to make it a PERMANENT RESTRAINING ORDER.

This will be considered HARASSMENT AND STALKING.

Then if he does it again, you call the cops on him.

This is out and out mental and emotional abuse.

Please take care of you and the children and be safe.
This is excellent advice. Please strongly consider doing all of the above. I almost lost my job when my psychotic EXAH (I was still married to him at the time) came to my job, and raised so much hell the boss had to call the police.

Take care of it now before it escalates anymore.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

NO ONE deserves to be treated as you are being treated, but only you can decide this. Scary at first, but omg, it feels good. You may even surprise yourself after you truly take a stand and stick with it-you will feel so good. And here is the bonus-your children will see it and they just might follow your lead.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm growing

My AH did a similiar thing, he was not in his right frame of mind. I think my AH was just realizing the weight of his actions and the consequences of his actions.

I did have to call the police twice, once for the phone calls, and once because he came to my apt. and sat on my back porch when I wouldn't let him in.

W/i a few days he was threatening to commit suiside and ended up in the hospital.

Be strong, I would ignore his calls for a while. See if you can talk your 15 year old out of going over there. Maybe wait until he (your AH) is thinking more clearly.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm growing

Also, I would take pictures of the text messages (as a back up), you made need them.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Arrow

Well, today is just wierd. I have so many mixed feelings. I feel totally violated!!!! I know that sounds stupid..........but I didn't hear from my AH again until this morning. I got to work and was doing fine and then he calls to ask me if I have changed my mind and I say , "No". Well then it starts again. He had to bring our son back home to go to work and so he stops by my work. He calls me and tells me to come outside so we can talk, so I do. I'm sitting in his truck with him and he finally rationally talks to me. He tells me that he is trying to make amends with me but I am not letting him. He says that he now realizes all the hurt and pain he put me through for 17 years. He says that he was sick with alcohol for all those years and now all he wants to do is the right thing. He wants to take care of ME, he wants to treat me like the princess, like his wife. He wants to love ME, care for ME, buy me things, take me to the movies, go out to eat and go to a meeting on Friday night (that used to be our date night, we would go eat and then go to an AA meeting) I loved doing that until he relapsed again. So I tell him how I feel....I tell him that I don't trust him, that how do I know he's not gonna crash and burn on me and hurt me again, I explain to him that I had begged and pleaded for his affection and love for the last few months and when he didn't even acknowledge me....I gave up and quit. I found MY peace with myself, I got an apartment for me and the kids because our house was being foreclosed on, I did things for ME and the kids!!!!! I'm numb, I'm dry, I'm cold to him and his words and actions. He tells me it's all because of Alanon...that Alanon and this website have done this to me. hahahahaha He begs me to please give him a chance for a relationship, give him a chance to prove it to me. So finally I tell him to just give me a few days to think, to pray, and to get some sleep so that I can think more clearly. I work 2 - 16 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday and I'm on call on Sunday night, all this started on Friday night and I am mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted!!!! I can't think straight....

Another point that he keeps bringing up is that we are "married". And yes we are, but we have ALWAYS had a toxic marriage, he says he knows that and he is soooo sorry. And he says he knows that he is the reason for our toxic marriage, his love for alcohol.

Now, I am a CODIE!!!! I am BITTER!!! I am RESENTFUL!!!! I am COLD!!!! I am DRY!!!!!

I AM NOT trying to torture him, I am not trying to "pay him back", I am not trying to hurt him!!!!

But tonight, I'm confused and I dont know what I feel.....or what I should do........

Oh, by the way he has not had a drink in 73 days........
Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey takestime-- what's the rush?

So he realized he caused you pain in the past-- can he not open his eyes and see he is causing you pain right now by bullying you.

You do not operate on HIS timetable.

Your number 1 priority is you and the kids and he will just have to work on himself and stop focusing on you so much. You can't make a decision under pressure!

It is OK to just keep saying No. No is a complete sentence.

He tells me that he is trying to make amends with me but I am not letting him.

Impossible. That is a load of BS. That's just not how it works. You don't shove amends down someone's throat.

Don;t be bullied - take your own time to make important decisions - there is no deadline!

peace-
b
Old 10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Wait a minute. Did your son actually go there for the night? Is that ok? I ask because he only sounds unstable. Only unstable.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Our son is 15. And yes, he did go spend the night. I know, maybe it wasn't the best decision but my son called me last night and WANTED to go. It's sad because my 15 year old is actually more stable than my AH. My AH lives with his sister and her husband and her kids. It was almost like my AH had some sort of comfort just knowing he was in the same house.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post

If he begs for an explanation tell him clearly, "Because I can't be in a relationship with you. And that's all I have to say." Period. Then STOP talking. Every sentence you give him he will jump on and twist so just stop. Do not engage. You don't owe him an explanation- plus any rational person would understand what you are saying. He is irrational and desperate and that is NOT YOUR problem, but it is your problem if you keep expecting to get a different result from engaging with this twisted mind.

b
I couldn't agree with this more.

Your rational words will never get through to him. They will get twisted and manipulated every single time. Disengage is right.

Word of warning: once you start doing this, his anger will flare up even more. Even when you think more is not possible. It is.
Stay strong. You can do this. You are not the crazy one.

Hang in there. I know what you're going through.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justtakestime View Post
I'm at work!! He's calling and calling...crying screaming, I've ruined his life.
You are not responsible for his life; the only person you are responsible for is yourself. He is responsible for his own life.

One thing that addicts do is try to make everyone else responsible for their behavior. I know because I am a recovering addict myself.

Often times I would say to other, "You made me feel like _____" However, I have learned that [b]nobody[/u] makes me feel something; I allow myself to feel what I feel.

He cannot make you feel something unless you let him. Likewise, you are not responsible for his feelings.

My heart goes out to you in this difficult time. I hope you have contacted your sponsor, or can make it to a meeting. If nothing else, praying the serenity prayer sincerely always helps me.

The best to you.

--Outvoid--
Old 10-04-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

This guy:

Before I turned my phone off I recieved 10 voicemails and 50 (YES 50!!!!) text messages saying the same thing over and over...."You're a liar!!!" "You're fu***** hateful!!!" Over and over!!!

Is this guy 24 hours later, right?:He says that he now realizes all the hurt and pain he put me through for 17 years. He says that he was sick with alcohol for all those years and now all he wants to do is the right thing. He wants to take care of ME, he wants to treat me like the princess, like his wife. He wants to love ME, care for ME, buy me things, take me to the movies, go out to eat and go to a meeting on Friday night (that used to be our date night, we would go eat and then go to an AA meeting) I loved doing that until he relapsed again.

And now you are confused? But tonight, I'm confused and I dont know what I feel.....or what I should do........

This quote is from one of our members, LaTeeDa:
"Confusion is mostly the result of magical thinking. Reality is not very confusing at all!"

The man that would spew such hateful venom to you is not the man who will buy you things, treat you like a princess, love you, care for you, take you places, etc..

The person who will love you, treat you like a princess, care for you and take you places is sitting in front of her computer right now!

I hope you are rested! Take care of you today, you are sooooooo worth it!