Not so new, but it's been awhile

Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not so new, but it's been awhile

I joined here and posted alot in 2006. I stopped posting only because I didn't have access to a computer for a long time. I got a new computer, and searched for this site and am so glad I found it again!

In 2006, my dad was living with me after he lost his home and job because of his alcoholism. It was a very tough situtation, and took a huge toll. Everyone here was such a HUGE help, I can't even begin to describe how much the people here saved my sanity.

I believe the last time I posted, I had given my dad an ultimatem- go to rehab, or move out. It was one of the hardest things I had to do. After realizing I was serious and he couldn't try to make me guilty and change my mind, he agreed to rehab. Well, the good news is that he was in rehab and a halfway house for about 1 year. He has been sober for 3 years now. He is working and has even been promoted (when he was drinking, he had some dishonest business dealings/stealing, and didn't think he would be able to find a job in plumbing again). We still don't have a great relationship, I think he doesn't know how to be a dad, and he never has really known how. But for right now, I'm ok with that.

He has had a few setbacks, but I was proud of him that when he realized he wasn't doing well, he went back into rehab for a short time.

I guess the bad news would be why I was searching for this board again, LOL. Issues with my grandmother, whom I am living with, and her abusing prescription medications. I'll save that for another thread.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share some good news and share how much of a difference you all made.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hi and Welcome Back!

It's nice to meet you! That is good news about your dad's recovery from active alcoholism.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother's prescription addiction. Yikes!

My 30 second history: I am a recovering alcoholic. I was married to an alcoholic. I got sober, and his addiction escalated. I divorced him. He got sober, got AA and a sponsor. I continued my recovery, moved away and took another job with my company.

Now for my personal Yikes moment. I have a co-worker who I strongly suspect of chemical addiction. Lots of dr's, lots of pills, and some days comes to work slurring and weaving. I hit the panic button! Not another addict, please!

I shared my concern with a dear friend with more sobriety and recovery under her belt. This is what she told me:
"I have learned to accept there will always be addicts in my life.
Some will be there to eventually ask me for help, and some will be there
to remind me of how far I have come. I just accept their presence and wait to see what the lesson will be."

Keep taking care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

to remind me of how far I have come. I just accept their presence and wait to see what the lesson will be."

Dear Pelican, I love your friend's comment above. What a wise woman she is, and how true is what she says. Thank you for sharing it with us.
I have it pinned up on my desk, right in front of me so I DO NOT FORGET IT.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Welcome back Ranae. Funny how your checking back in on SR has given me something I need to hear.

Pelican, I'm a recovering drunk divorced from a non-recovering drunk and I've got several alkies I work with. Your friends wise words helped me put it all in perspective.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote