More twists and turns

Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

To me she is being cruel, and for whatever reason, vindictive. You are not responsible for her or her recovery. That is hers to own. She may not be drinking but her behavior sucks.

Go back to the 3 C's and do what is right for YOU.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Oh yes, very familiar.

She's in early recovery - it's counter productive for you to listen to or take to heart anything she says. You'll have plenty of time later to see what full blown dry drunk is like if she chooses to continue this path.

Detachment is vital at this point, and al-anon along with counseling can help with that a great deal. Deal with the real issues as they effect you only. As Prodigal said, keep off her side of the street. In other words - arrangements for her to get her children, her things from your home only.

Don't try to reason with or discuss reality with her, you'll only make yourself sick.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

TrainWreck, I'm glad you're setting that boundary. And "glad" is a vast understatement. (That decision is party-worthy...might have myself a little cake and coffee here just to celebrate )

She has treated you like dirt - worse than dirt, really, because I treat my dirt really well -- and it's time to stop paying to have yourself abused.

She's expecting you to pour thousands more into her life so she can leave you? She has been "treated badly" by the person who has paid for her rehab, cared for her children, and picked up the pieces she blasted apart with her lifelong poor choices?

Wow, what interesting logic.

It may be too soon for you to have a plan for yourself and YOUR kids other than "Let go and let God," but we'll be here if you ever want to talk it out. You can do much better than this.

And you're doing great so far imho. These are very, very tough decisions to make, and they represent a radical shift in how you view yourself and your own worth.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks again to all.... I love SR!

I did need to vent. Sometimes writing stuff out helps me see how crazy it is.

I am busily tending my side of the street. I took the entire month off from work so I could work on myself and get my head straight. I have been seing a therapist, attending 2-3 Al Anon Meetings a week. I am looking for a sponsor but have been talking everyday with someone in AA who is a sponsor.

The kids are all doing well. They have spent the month at the homes of various relatives, riding horses, fishing, sailing and just doing kid stuff.

I have also been talking to people about what is possible and appropriate related to her kids. I feel good about where I am tonight.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hugs, (((( TWA ))))
Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrainWreckAgain View Post
Thanks again to all.... I love SR!

I did need to vent. Sometimes writing stuff out helps me see how crazy it is.

I am busily tending my side of the street. I took the entire month off from work so I could work on myself and get my head straight. I have been seing a therapist, attending 2-3 Al Anon Meetings a week. I am looking for a sponsor but have been talking everyday with someone in AA who is a sponsor.

The kids are all doing well. They have spent the month at the homes of various relatives, riding horses, fishing, sailing and just doing kid stuff.

I have also been talking to people about what is possible and appropriate related to her kids. I feel good about where I am tonight.
Then you should feel good. It sounds to me like you are working hard. I'm sorry, when someone posts it's sometimes hard to determine what's going on in a person's life. I appreciate the need to vent - the emotions we have towards our circumstances and our alcoholics have to come out somewhere. Anger, frustration, hurt, rejection... Sometimes we just need to let it out and talk about it. I guess when someone vents it's hard to tell whether they're letting off steam or actually in the blame game and blind to their own issues.

You sound like you are doing remarkably well, and I'm personally glad to have your imput here at SR. I too, am going through a hellish time, but trying really hard to work at things the best way I know how. And it's good to come here and find yourself in good company with others that understand.
:ghug3
Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Today has been a day of letting go with compassion and doing the next right thing.

My xAGF continues the full court press guilt trip. She has no control, she never had any control over the money or banking (which is a crock... she never cared as long as there was money in her bank account and her ATM card)... she needs me to help her... don't punish the children.... quack quack quack

After talking with my therapist, I responded to her latest tirade. I tried really hard, but did hit back a bit. I just couldn't walk away from her attacking me over the fact that I listend to 2 MD's, 1 Psychiatris, and 1 PhD Psycholoist about having her involuntarily committed... instead of listening to her that she just needed sleep.

The boundary I set down was this. I will consider helping you on the next step of your recovery, as long as it is consistent with the recommendations of the treatment team and not a plan you developed yourself.

I know that there is NO WAY that the treatment team is going to say that she is ready to live on her own with her kids. Their recommendation is almost certainly going to be 6-12 months in a sober living house, then to an apartment by herself, then kids part time, then kids full time.

It strikes a balance between being supportive and allowing her to continue her treatment and handing her a loaded gun.

I haven't heard back from her....
Old 07-24-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I went through a 30 day inpatient rehab. I landed a full-time job as a nurses aid a week after I was discharged. There I was, a single parent out in the real world and doing what people are supposed to do. I was starting over in a whole new location.

Did I make mistakes in my parenting? You bet. No one gives us a manual on parenting.

However I did the best that I could.

Great. Not everyone recovers as well/fast as you did. The fog, the grandiosity, blaming, etc can stay for a while.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today has been a day of letting go with compassion and doing the next right thing.

My xAGF continues the full court press guilt trip. She has no control, she never had any control over the money or banking (which is a crock... she never cared as long as there was money in her bank account and her ATM card)... she needs me to help her... don't punish the children.... quack quack quack

After talking with my therapist, I responded to her latest tirade. I tried really hard, but did hit back a bit. I just couldn't walk away from her attacking me over the fact that I listend to 2 MD's, 1 Psychiatris, and 1 PhD Psycholoist about having her involuntarily committed... instead of listening to her that she just needed sleep.

The boundary I set down was this. I will consider helping you on the next step of your recovery, as long as it is consistent with the recommendations of the treatment team and not a plan you developed yourself.

I know that there is NO WAY that the treatment team is going to say that she is ready to live on her own with her kids. Their recommendation is almost certainly going to be 6-12 months in a sober living house, then to an apartment by herself, then kids part time, then kids full time.

It strikes a balance between being supportive and allowing her to continue her treatment and handing her a loaded gun.

I haven't heard back from her....

You and the prof's they are advising sound "right on the money" so to speak.

hmmm, just needs more sleep... yet another "ultimate rationalization" if not delusion

My aw didn't think she needed sleep because it was "a cold" that kept her zombiefied for 1 year not to mention all the bad things everyone else was doing to her.

Patience my man, is a virtue. If she won't listen to the therapy pro's she sure won't listen to you. In my experience, if Jesus returned and advised her, she still wouldn't care.

The fog can and very well may lift, but with time.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve11694 View Post
In my experience, if Jesus returned and advised her, she still wouldn't care.
That made me smile. You are so right. She reads from the Gospel according to her....
Old 07-24-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That made me smile. You are so right. She reads from the Gospel according to her....
HA! HA! That is a really funny but very true statement. Going to have to remember that one.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Startingover2 View Post
HA! HA! That is a really funny but very true statement. Going to have to remember that one.
Trainwreck and startingover;

sometimes "Life is stranger than fiction"

Thank you for the thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

TWA just sending you encouragement. It hurts so much when you have an idea of a person and shared good times, then see how they act when times get tough. Wow.

But when I started seeing all the hurtful decisions, comments, actions, as proof of who this person really was, I felt I was doing the right thing. They say you only know one person when you separate/divorce him or her. Ouch. I guess its true.

Your job is with yourself and the kids. That's it. Just a reminder as I know you are working hard already!!