Cost of rehab? Outpatient/ Inpatient

Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cost of rehab? Outpatient/ Inpatient

Well, this has been a stressful week for me. My AH I fear is in late stage A and I fear without help he willl be dead.

He switched from vodka to wine, yeah I know, no difference and is now drinking openly instead of "in the closet". He is doing this so he can taper off himself, or so initially that is what he thought. So of course, everytime he gets the shakes, he has a glass. He has been extremely tired and has very little appetite.

Well, last night he told me he's "sick and tired of being sick and tired"...yes we know where that is from so I at least was beginning to think perhaps there is hope before its too late. He told me he is scared and really wants to get on the other side of things. I know actions speak louder than words...

He has agreed that I call the doctor today. The unfortunate thing is that he now has Aetna insurance, is self employed so we pay for it, and because of that, we have to pick a new primary care physician. So at 10am today, I will be calling and trying to get him in to the doctors. Hopefully, I can have his records faxed from his old doctor as he has had several tests done in the previous months on the old (and better) insurance.

He was in inpatient rehab 18 years ago on my insurance. I no longer work. Back then it was 100% covered but I know things have changed alot since then. It was $10,000 back then and can only imagine what it may cost now. I was going to call the iAetna and ask if they cover any of this should it come to pass but don't want to put up a red flag and possibly have them drop him....if they even can do that.

Any knowledge/advice would be good to hear. I need to know just what I could possibly be up against.

Many thanks and God Bless.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They shouldn't be able to drop you. May I ask why he can't make his own appointments?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My AH is in similar situation to yours. His doctor recommended inpatient so I called to find out the cost and it's about $20,000 for 28 days. I think that's fairly standard (at least here in CA), though I've heard of other places that are closer to $30,000. Our insurance is 80/20 so we're looking at about $4000 out of pocket.

I don't know about outpatient, but I'm guessing it's a bit cheaper.

All I can say is hang in there...

((hugs))
Barbara
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Funny one, he's sleeping alot and barely out of bed. If he is up, I will have him call.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Figure roughly $1,000 per day for inpatient - give or take. There are different types of outpatient. There's IOP (intensive outpatient treatment) and good old group therapy. Figure around $50-$100 per hour for group. IOP can run anywhere from $200-$500 per day depending on the program.

Rates are going to vary not just from facility to facility, but also depends upon what part of the country you're in.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Salvation Army is free and very good from everything I've heard.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Member, hang in there. Remember you didn't cause this, you can't cure it, can't control it. I'm glad that he's showing these signs of wanting help - it must be a huge relief for you - but try to keep this all in perspective. I have no doubt that rehab will help him temporarily, but only firm boundaries and a commitment to lifelong sobriety are going to be long-term solutions.

Keep us posted on what you find. As Barbara said, there are also free options.

Hugs,
GL
Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, mine emailed me after a three week binge living with a lady (after she kicked him out) and said "Find me rehab." Even in his cry for help he was asking me to function for him! But, I wanted to strike while the iron was hot. I found a 14 day inpatient program with a 30 day Intensive Outpatient Program that runs from 6-9 at night. It allowed him to keep his job, which we are lucky to have. He never came home again, but I am hoping for the kids sake that it sticks. Bills are just now rolling in...I'll keep you updated.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AH did finally get up and doctors office just opened 10am EST. HE made the sppt. for tomorrow at 11:45. We will see what happens. It is a start but I too know very well to take it one dy at a time and not get to excited.

Thanks for all
Old 05-20-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

$29,000 for 28 days. I think the insurance paid that back minus the deductible...I think.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

He can always go to the ER, and to detox, and then to rehab... the ER doesn't close. They'll stick some IVs, take some blood, get him stable, send him to detox for a few days and a social worker can arrange the rehab with his insurance.

Heck.. he can probably walk into a rehab, today.

Rehab isn't a cure all. The success rate is unfortunately low. I hope that his new found desire for sobriety can be coupled with long term committment and ongoing support regardless of rehab.