slogans, etc.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

slogans, etc.

I've had a rough week, here's the things that have been running through my head...

Serenity prayer...
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change... be at peace the things that I have no control over, any other emotion will only put me in chaos.
The courage to change the things I can... I can pull myself out of the h*ll I'm in. It may be painful, it can be done. I just have to be brave and have faith.
And the wisdom to know the difference... I have to open my eyes and look, not just glance, really look and ponder. Is this mine or do I let it go?

Live and let live... I have to live my own life, take care of myself. I have to detach and let others live their life, and let them fall when they need to fall, or grow when they need to grow.

Let go and let God... If it's not mine, it's God's. If I pick it up again, I have to put it back down again. Eventually, I will learn to let it be. I just have to keep trying and have faith that God will handle it in his own time.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Another great slogan......

Take what you need and leave the rest. In Alanon or SR, there may be things that a person disagrees with or feels was unnecessary. Sometimes it's best to just take in the stuff that pertains to an individuals situation and let the rest roll off the back.

Sometimes those slogans are all that keep me going. One day at a time.......

gentle hugs

Last edited by Kindeyes; 04-01-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: cuz I can't spel
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cmc

I love the slogans because they are simple enough to remember them when I need them the most. For instance, one of my favorites is:Keep It Simple.

Here's a link with a few of them:
The Slogans
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm growing

Let it begin with me one of my favorites! Makes me take action when I am feeling "analysis paralysis"
Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This too shall pass....

Whether it's good or bad, nothing lasts forever.

L
Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Easy Does It. So simple yet so hard sometimes.
Today at a meeting all that was running through my head was
SOME OF US ARE SICKER THAN OTHERS
I know I let them get under my skin today.

Well PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I have posted this before - but i have a copy on my desk and it helps me often thru those tough days:

I got this at an Al-Anon Convention:

SLOGANS IN ACTION

Just For Today,
I will Let It Begin with Me
And Think, How Important Is It
Before I lose my serenity
And if I Keep It Simple
When my mind wants to burst
I will remember Easy Does It
and place First Things First
And isn't it kind of Funny
When I feel I've bottomed out
I find hope and courage when
I finally Let Go and Let God
But For The Grace of God
I can Keep An Open Mind
And learn to Live and Let Live
One Day At A Time.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love all these slogans. At first I saw them as trite and well stupid.

But they have become shorthand for all that I now know stand behind them. By telling myself any of them, the meanings behind them, the work that went with understanding and living them, runs through my head and I receive the full benefit.

My favorite remains: Let Go, Let God.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

barbara....you gave me that one on a post a while back and I've been using it with great results!

I can't think of any others. Not really a slogan, but a quote I just found and used for my signature line seemed especially approriate for my life at this time.....and it's Dr. Suess, need I say more?!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is one I have many copies of. I carry one, tattered and torn, in a wallet.... another is on a bookmark, and yet another copy is on my refrigerator!

Just for Today

Just for today, I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for 12 hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today, I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that “most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be”.

Just for today, I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my “luck” as it comes, and fit myself to it.

Just for today, I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for today, I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don’t want to do – just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I won’t show it.

Just for today, I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won’t find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

Just for today, I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save my self from two pests: hurry and indecision.

Just for today, I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today, I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

P.S. That quiet half hour to myself? Still the hardest thing on this list to do!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

TODAY, Any man can fight the battle of just one day. It is only when you and I add the burdens of those awful eternies YESTERDAY AND TOMORROW that we break down. It is not the experience of TODAY that drives men mad - it is remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY and the dred of what TOMORROW may bring.