New career-Alcoholis counseling???

Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New career-Alcoholis counseling???

Hi to all, its been quite awhile since I last posted, mainly because I am to lazy to type but I feel the need so here goes.

Try to make long story short, Functional AH last 20 years, was in rehab (inhouse) 19 years ago, has been on and off the stuff our whole marriage. He is a loving father, husband, you know everything just so...white picket fence-you get it, worked for 17 years with same company UNTIL Nov 4 (Election Day) when his company downsized and like millions of others out there, left him in the cold. I am a retired flight attendant that left my job 8 years ago to raise the kids (now 19 and 15) so I currently do not work.

He has since found a job that is commission only (no benefits) for now because he can not find anything out there. Our health benefits just ran out as his former co. was paying until Mar. 1. Now I am paying for not as good benefits for myself and he was denied due to his health.-recently diagnosed with high sugar and is on metformin...told to loose 20 lbs, not drink.. However, my AH does not handle these things well and unfortunately has gone back to the bottle. He is paying for Cobra insurance for himself now and my kids are getting benefits thru the state. He was doing well intil the company he is now working for sent him on a sales mtg. and we all know those sales mtgs...and of course he wants to "fit in" so just a glass of wine with dinner as he tells me but of course that is where it all began or should I say continued (once again-he was good for the 1st 3 mo of unemployment) No he does not do any program. In fact, he just told my teenage daughter (15) about his problem last weekend. We have always shielded her because 3 years ago, she developed an eating disorder which has since been cured thanks to my actions of feeding her medicine (food) through the maudsley method if anyone is familiar with that. I know these 2 disorders are somewhat related which scares me to know both my kids are at risk. My husband now drinks vodka and keeps it hidden in his car in a water bottle... he told me he needs it just so he does not get the shakes...just in case... pretty sad. So not only does he look bad, I know that if he does not quit, what the alternative could be ...and I also know I can not control him with his actions and have not caused it either.

So now that I have rambled, does anyone out there know of any possible careers in this field and how to go about getting into it? I do have a BS degree but have had this urge into getting into Al. counseling to help others...after all those of us in this situation know it best of all. Of course I realize I would need to go back to school, but is it a degree in psychology or is there specific classes/courses/degrees for this? With all the unemployment out there, some how I believe there could be job security in this field...sad to say. Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi member,

Nice to have you here, though sorry for the circumstances.

I don't know all of the different tracks to employment in substance abuse counseling but I know a local college would be able to direct you. If you look up the web sites of the colleges/universities around you, they will show their degree offerings, and you could find one that has a program that deals with addictions. A counselor or department staff in that program could talk with you about all of the options.

Also, any addiction treatment center might have a person who'd be willing to chat on the phone with you about the different types of credentials and how people get them.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

I am actually attending classes to be a CASAC (Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor) at a college near my house. Especially with you having a BS, you should consider taking these courses, and I'm almost sure you can get credentialed and also help families (I say "almost" cause I live in NY and I don't know how they work it in PA). You can look up colleges online in your area and see what they offer in the field of Addiction Studies. That's how I found mine. And it's pretty good so far. I figured I was put in my situation for a reason, and the reason is to probably help others. RAH is taking them as well, along with going to meetings and outpatient therapy. Keep us posted.