Alcoholism and Beer

Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and Beer

Can you be considered an alcoholic just from drinking beer? I have heard yes and no. He drinks beer almost 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. He drinks as soon as he wakes up in the morning, more at lunch time and then at 4:00 after work he drinks non stop. He even has a beer sitting on the night stand by the bed so he can drink in the middle of the night.

Some people say there is not enough alcohol in beer to become an alcoholic. He hardly ever drinks hard liquor, but occasionally has a mixed drink with his beer.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe so. My exh would drink a case of beer in a day. Beer is still alcohol. If he drinks it as much as you describe then my guess would be yes.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I hope, he's not driving

If, memory serves me right.

A can of beer is equal to a shot of whiskey there abouts

Sounds like, he has a real high tolerance built up.

Not good for the body to be consuming this much alcohol
Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

read this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-not-know.html
Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beer is alcohol. So yes, some alcoholics only drink beer. Or only wine. Or only whatever.

My mother always said she wasn't an alcoholic because she only drank beer. Of course she was stumbling drunk everyday from only beer but that in her mind didn't matter since it was only beer.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No, this is definitely not what I want in a partner for sure. I was just curious. That is why I was asking the question.

He never gets violent in any way. He's not physical or verbally abusive. He usually just passes out. He usually doesn't even seem drunk. I can just see how much he drinks and I have never seen him without a bottle of beer in his hand.

We are not together. I was just looking for an answer to my question to see if I was right. It looks like I am.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Karma,

Yeah, alcohol is alcohol is alcohol. And he doesn't have to be a monster for you to decide that you don't want to be with someone who needs the crutch of alcohol to get through his days.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by GoodKarma View Post
No, this is definitely not what I want in a partner for sure. I was just curious. That is why I was asking the question.

He never gets violent in any way. He's not physical or verbally abusive. He usually just passes out. He usually doesn't even seem drunk. I can just see how much he drinks and I have never seen him without a bottle of beer in his hand.
Just a sad way to go thru life

Thank you for the reminder of what, I once was in life!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

1 beer = 1 glass of wine = 1 shot of hard liquor.

If he drank whiskey around the clock would you consider him an alcoholic?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, if he drank hard liquor around the clock I would definitely consider him an alcoholic. However, I just was uncertain about the beer. Thank you all for confirming what I thought.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One more thing I should say. His sister is a big time alcoholic. She can't even work. Their mother takes care of her. So I guess there is a genic thing going on.

Thanks all.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by GoodKarma View Post
Can you be considered an alcoholic just from drinking beer?

Some people say there is not enough alcohol in beer to become an alcoholic. He hardly ever drinks hard liquor, but occasionally has a mixed drink with his beer.
Who the heck said you can't be an alcoholic if you only drink beer? There are certain beers that have higher alcohol contents, but drink enough of any beer and eventually you'll achieve the desired effect.

I started drinking beer at 14 and stopped at 41. Along the way I destroyed two marriages, abused my wives and children, and made a complete @ss out of myself so many times that I lost count. I learned to enjoy wine and hard liquor too, anything to fill the hole in my soul.

My last drunk was vermouth mixed with lemonade, they were the only things left in the house, I'd wiped out the beer and everything else in the bar the day before. Pathetic.

Yes, I had no problem being an alcoholic with beer alone.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I learned to enjoy wine and hard liquor too, anything to fill the hole in my soul.
sorry to hijack this, but did you really 'enjoy' it Astro? I ask because my brother says he likes Vodka, and he drinks it from getting up to passing out, but I really do enjoy a glass of wine or two from time to time. I'm just curious.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1 Corinthians 13:1-13 love

My husband was a beer drinker. He moved onto vodka when he started "hiding" his drinking from me.

He was an alcoholic long before he started drinking vodka.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I can assure you, as others already have, that what alcoholic beverage an alcoholic is drinking has no relevance whatsoever on their alcoholism. Many alcoholics have been known to drink cooking wine or Nyquil when desperate. That changes nothing. And don't let them convince you otherwise.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm a beer alcoholic.

I don't like the hard liquors, and I would occasionally drink some wine, but it was beer for me everyday of the week, and believe you me, I got drunk, and I depended on it. I have no doubts I'm a beer Alkie.

Good Luck
Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My biological grandfather who was an alcoholic was told by his doctor that he needed to stop drinking or it would kill him. My grandfather loved Vodka, but gave it up for beer instead thinking that if it was beer then he wasn't an alcoholic. He died a few years later due to liver damage.

Yes, beer is alcohol (has alcohol in it) and yes a person can be an alcoholic if they drink beer.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What amazies me is that I have known him for two years and have never seen him without a beer in his hand, so he must have a very high tolerence to the alcohol because he drives that way and he also rides a motorcycle that way! He has had many tickets for speeding but has never had a DUI. That is why I was wondering if you could get drunk from beer alone or become an alcoholic from beer alone. Also, he drinks and drives all the time and never wears a seatbelt. I tell him he can't drink and drive and should wear a seatbelt and he just ignores me or make some kind of rude remark.

I just don't see how he does it. He does drink more now than when I first met him. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever seen him drink any water! I'm sure he has to at some point, but very little.

Thanks Astro, I think he has a hole in his soul too.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by LucyA View Post
sorry to hijack this, but did you really 'enjoy' it Astro? I ask because my brother says he likes Vodka, and he drinks it from getting up to passing out, but I really do enjoy a glass of wine or two from time to time. I'm just curious.
I believed it when people said you couldn't smell vodka on someone's breath, so it was my beverage of choice at school and sports events, like Little League games. I'd fill a big sports bottle with vodka and a splash of something to make it go down quickly. I enjoyed the quick drunk it gave me too.

One of my hobbies has always been cooking, I used it as an excuse to drink. BBQ'ing or using a smoker was an excuse to drink beer, making pizza was an excuse to down jugs of cheap wine, after-dinner drink was usually single malt scotch. In between I'd sneak vodka mixed with Coke or OJ.

My Dad was a beer drinker and then switched to vodka. He still drinks it and thinks that it's OK for his liver if he mixes it with cranberry juice. Unreal.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a beer drinker 24/7 too - drank cheap wine when I couldn't afford beer.
Wasn't violent, passed out - but I was destroying myself and my life shrank down to me, beer, and TV. It's too hot for me to have kept a beer on the nightstand where I live but I would have if I could have.

I'm as much an alcoholic as anyone else is here, believe me.
D