OT-REALLY need advice from multiple-cat owners

Old 12-12-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT-REALLY need advice from multiple-cat owners

I know we have quite a few folks on the board who are devout animal lovers. I always had dogs. But when I learned that house-breaking a cat entailed putting it in the litter box, walking away, and saying "Done with housebreaking!" I became a cat person.

However .... cats are territorial creatures. They actually do form packs, although dogs are always attributed with being pack animals, while cats are regarded as solitary. Not so. Female lions hunt in packs at night.

That being said ... I am up to three cats. There is a fourth being fed on my back porch who is becoming very friendly. However, until she is humanely trapped by me, taken to the vet to be neutered and given all her shots, she cannot come into my home.

Problem: One cat goes berserk. He cannot get along with the female rescue I brought in last November. They don't fight like they used to because I keep them separated in opposite ends of the house (boy, do I have lots of cat boxes!). When they do interact, it is for a short period and always supervised.

So territorial boy is going NUTS when he sees "Whitie" who is dining on my porch. This little stray is loving and gentle and beautiful. She has tamed down a lot in the past month. And now she wants to come into my home.

Any suggestions? Once she is neutered, innoculated, and tested for feline leukemia, I will consider letting her into one side of the house with the two "mellow" cats and my dog.

However, there is still wild-cat (neutered male who is suddenly "spraying" his territory!), to contend with. I don't want to keep 'Whitie" outside, but I don't want bloodshed either!

Help! P.S. - All you dog people who deal with a pack of multiple personalities are welcome to offer advice too!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whew! I don't have any advice, I just wanted to commiserate - as one pet lover to another. I have three cats, and two dogs.

It all started with Tilly, a stray cat who I rescued. She was tiny, and very shy. I took her home after my previous cat died, and she seemed to settle in nicely.

Months later, I took home an 8 month old beagle whose owners were not able to take care of her. She was not housebroken, and the cat hated her. On their first night together, Tilly scratched Bella the beagle in the eye. Bella went to the vet (emergency after hours) and it cost about $500. Tilly was given a room in the basement for her enjoyment.

After putting the dog on tranquilizers and tying her leash to my belt to keep her in sight, she became trained, and life went back to normal.

About 1 year later, my sister's cat had kittens, and she gave one to my daughter. Young Jack was an orange long-haired male who got along great with Bella. Tilly continued to live in the basement, and we visited her often.

About a year after we got Jack, friends of mine split up and didn't have a home for their 7 year old Jack Russell named Shadow. We took him in and fell in love - and then the fighting began. Shadow was a territorial dog for such a small breed, and fought Bella every chance he got. I was bitten twice when I separated them. The fighting lasted approximately 3 months and soon settled down although they will never be pals.

Some time after this, I got a boyfriend who decided he would get a kitten who should live with me. The kitten stayed in my bedroom - his litterbox beside my bed. He was a feisty little guy named Calvin and he soon was chasing Jack and the dogs up and down the halls.

I broke up with the boyfriend and his kitten (I sure miss Calvin) and life went on.

About 2 months after we split up, my sister moved to Scotland and I offered (!) to take her cat Rowan (no, not named after me lol). Rowan is lovely, with long black fur and a gentle disposition. He knocks things off my nightstand at 3 am, but we love him.

About 10 months ago, my basement flooded - twice - and suddenly Tilly lost her private living quarters. The basement is gutted and has no walls and we live in a bungalow so we had to move her - to my daughter's bedroom closet. It's small in there, but it's where she wants to be. She has her food and water, a bed, and her litter.

Bella recently started attacking Rowan, and Shadow has chronic gas. I have a queen-sized bed and a 13 year old daughter. The TV is in my bedroom, so my daughter likes to lie in bed with me and watch her shows. The dogs join us, both under the covers, on either side of my body. Rowan has taken to sleeping on my pillow, and Jack likes to lie under my knees while I use my laptop.

I have chronic back pain from this sleeping arrangement and suspect it will be a long time before I have another boyfriend - there simply isn't room!

And so, although I don't have any advice about the spraying (both cats are neutered and are prone to hairballs only), I wanted to let you know that you are certainly not alone!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HMMM....lets see. Not sure I have any advice. I have 5 cats. all rescued and all fixed. Tut, Floyd, and Louie are boys and Telula and Hazel are girls. As if you can't tell by the names. I also have a dog. There are a lot of stray cats in my area and my male cats, although fixed, get very upset when the other cats are around.

They spray on the door and it has forced me to have to remove the rug. Its much worse in the summer but with regular cleaning I can't notice. I still don't like it but I have found that no matter what I do I can't make them stop and its the only place they do it. I have had issues and fights with every cat I introduced until they established their rank. It was stressful for a while but for the most part they all keep to themselves.

Once in a while there is a fight between Tut and Floyd because they seem to hate each other and Hazel is a bully but not always. I can't say how it will be at your house but I'm sure after a while they will figure it out. The outside cat might seem sweet now but I bet that protective side will come out when she needs to establish her place in the pride.
A friend of mine has 5 cats also and she has one that is Siamese and always has to be separated. There is nothing they can do.
I hope you are able to bring the stray cat inside.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, with 9 cats here, I can't tell you which one it was who wasn't well received, and who was the unhappy camper, but what we did was put the new cat in a spare bedroom with a towel that aforementioned cat was able to lay on and get his smell on initially (bedroom was set up with separate litter box and food/water dishes.

Then we slid the towel halfway out so the offended cat (now that I think about it, it was Riley, aka Captain Pinknose who was the offended one) could sniff and 'somewhat' adjust.

Gradually we started letting the other cat out for short periods of time with the others.

As I recall, Riley's initial reaction at the other's release was the blood-curdling scream of the wild banshee and then running in the other direction, but that eventually settled down.

I know, I'm probably as helpful as a case of hemorrhoids, right?!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks to each of you!

I love reading animal/furchildren stories. Animals keep me sane. Animals have a natural pecking order. And animals don't give a sh!t what you think or don't think as long as they can lay on that spot of the bed YOU wanted, have a lick from your ice cream cone, spray to mark their territory, and love you unconditionally - looney quirks and all. Hmmm ... do I mean their quirks or our's???

Okay. I'll try getting "Bear" to adjust to another cat. I'll take it slow. My senior boy ("Boo-Boo") doesn't care what I introduce into the pack. He's so mellow that he just stares at whatever I bring into the house. The cat has never growled or hissed in this life. A real lover-boy.

Miss Mew loves the dog, loves "Boo" and she and "Bear" have been a problem from the get-go. It's actually "Bear" who is spraying (neutered, no less!), and shrieking at "Whitie" when she approaches the outside back porch for her nightly meal.

Some animals must be more insecure than others - like humans, I suppose - and feel a need to assert their territory.

The more animals I've collected, the more relaxed I've become about housecleaning. What's one more at this point? Great excuse to clean my house when the mood moves me rather than on a regular basis! LOL!!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi prodie

give your vet a call and explain what's going on.....my bet is that they will have a very practical explanation why the behavior and what to do about it.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My son and his GF have moved into my home for about 3 weeks before they move out of state, bringing my grandkits with them. That means we have his 2 cats plus my 2 cats plus the 2 giant dogs here. Fortunately the kittens lived with me for awhile when he first got them, so everyone knows each other. We've had a day or 2 of hissing and spitting etc as they all get reacquainted.

My bf (The Most Wonderful Man in The World) was helping me clean recently (I told ya he was wonderful) and he was laughing about the amount of hair collecting in my vacuum. He commented if I got just a little more, I could build another cat!

I've never really had problems introducing more animals to the household. They all seem to figure it out and get along.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is a product called Feliway - you can buy the plug in one and it is like an air freshener but you smell nothing... but the cats do!! Its calming to them, its like happy pheromones or something. When I got a new kitten - a ragdoll named Lucy - for my 11 year old Siamese girl Karma, who had just lost her sister, I had the Feliway thing going in the bedroom and another in the living room. It seems to have helped. It was recommended by my vet because Karma wasn't too happy with Lucy at first...
It takes a while to work so I would suggest getting it going now and you will have some time with the spaying and shots etc. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

if all else fails, i think cat makes pajamas out of them? (groan....i know that was a very bad joke)
Old 12-13-2008, 02:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You could try putting the new kitty in a small crate in the middle of the living room for a few hours at a time. That way, the other cats can come up to her and smell and start to get used to her.That way, no one will get hurt. After a few days or when they seem to get used to each other, than let them in the same room together and see what happens. It worked for me, even when intriducing a new cat to a dog.Good luck
Old 12-13-2008, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I have 4 cats and two of them still don't get on. Not very many outright fights but lots of stalking etc. - I seem to be the moveable territory that one of my cats (the oldest) is protecting!! I use 2 feliway diffusers which have helped during the recent turmoil they've all been through - they hated all that decorating at the weekends! If you do decide to buy the diffusers and you're based in the UK, PM me and I'll let you know where I bought them - cheaper than my vets - from an online source (not eBay) with fast delivery too!

I tried the trick with the blanket/towel too which did help. I think these two boys will only ever be tolerant of each other, not real buddies which is a shame.

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I have used my big dog crate to introduce kittens to my other cats. Just a few days in there, and the kitten stays safe while the others get used to her.

I use a spray water bottle on my boy cat who wants to stalk my psycho kitty. I just spray him when he gets that "walk" around her...it's gotten to the point where I can just show him the bottle now and he runs away. (He's not too smart..this is the cat who plays in the bath water).

As for marking, well my Marshmellow continues to do that on a regular basis. Sometimes I have to follow him around the house, armed with my cleaner and a rag. It only happens when I'm behind on the litter box cleaning.

Do make sure that you have enough litter boxes for each cat. The experts say one for each cat and an extra..

Have fun!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah there is a whole process of introducing the new beast - keeping them separated while they get used to the others smell. It took a week to introduce Lucy to Karma, I had to keep the kitten shut in my bedroom, and I had to sleep on the couch because karma won't tolerate not sleeping with me. I guess 11 years of habit is hard to break! But yeah - its the smell of each other that gets them. Letting them each have their own towels to sleep on then switching them is a trick too... if you google Introducing New Cat you'll find lots of suggestions. After a year together, Lucy and Karma now tolerate each other, mainly because Lucy-Fur thinks Karma is a toy and she's actually a grouchy old lady! Karma has made it pretty clear that I am her property, so sadly Lucy isn't as affectionate with me as I'd hoped. But she's a happy girl ;-)

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Prodigal,

I am so, so glad to hear that you are taking care of animals that need help. This is such a problem in most cities. Kudos to you for doing that.

I have three cats, all male. I have twins and one who is a year older. It took a lot of work and many weeks to get the older cat to stop hissing at the babies. But, now they are the best of friends.

I wanted to suggest that you speak with Phinneas. She is, in my opinion, the SR expert on this kind of thing. She has lots of experience with rescued animals and had many good tips for me, when I was dealing with the hissing crisis.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i used to be a cat person when i was younger, it all started with one cute little fluffy gray cat who turned out to be a major ho, she got knocked up very five seconds ( i was about 8 or 9 and knew nothing about spaying and why my parents didnt is beyond me, money maybe?) well we ended up with 25 cats, but we only needed one litter box cause they went in and out of the house, these were the days we left our doors open with a fan instead of running air conditioner 24-7, but feeding time was crazy, i had to be wearing pants and long sleeves EVERYTIME cause as soon as i walked out with the bag of food i had cats climbing up each leg and trying to hang onto my arms lol

fast forward to right after i get married, my husband found a kitten outside and brought it in the house, my nightmare began, that was and still is the most annoying cat in the world, the thing never shut up, knocked over everything, drove my dogs crazy, then i get the bright idea to get an american bobtail cat, the thing hid for the first two years we had her cause the other cat would attack her constantly or stalk her

now ive given my dad the bobtail and the other one is outside mostly because he stalks the door and runs out and ive given up trying to keep the thing in the house, my xah should have taken that annoying cat with him when he left lol, when i move out im gonna talk my dad into keeping him

my mom has a cat that refuses to use the litter box half the time, meows constantly and i do mean constantly, shes picky wont eat but certain foods and will starve herself if that isnt the kind of food she wants(she was rescued by my mom when she was 13 or 14 from my sister who is horrible at taking care of animals) that cat drives me nuts and im counting down the days when i dont have to live with that cat anymore

my cat days are over lol but ive learned that eventually they just learn to live with each other it just takes time
Old 12-13-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

now dogs i can do, i have four chihuahuas they pretty much grew up together they came from my dads two dogs i have two from different litters and two from the same litter, they still fight from time to time for their pecking order and about food alot of the time
the problem came when i moved back in with my parents cause my dads dog thinks hes God and owns the world so we are constantly dealing with fighting, if mine are in the food bowl and my dads dog sees that then he runs over there growling and runs mine off, needless to say me and that dog fight constantly also lol
but most of the time they are all laying together and get along, just with food they go nuts, i think once they are around each other long enough they just build up truces and learn to live with each other on a certain level
Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We have 3 cats. Elvis (my avatar) is the more aggressive one..thinks he owns me and will hiss if another cat gets too close. They don't LIKE each other, but will tolerate each other. When Elvis shows his butt, I show him the water bottle and he runs.

They all sleep with me..they just have to have their own little terrirtories on my bed.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-13-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

51Anna are those your meezers in your avatar??? They are beautiful! I am a sucker for Siamese - have had them for as long as I can remember. My 11 year old noisy Karma is a blue point, and her sister Brandy was a lilac point but she died last August at 10 years old of a sudden autoimmune thing - boy was that sad. She was a sweet girl and i still miss her.
Sorry to hijack this thread - back to the topic!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Here are my 2 and my grandkits, watching birds in the yard.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The photo is priceless!!!

I love to watch the intensity of cats when they spy a bird. They will also make strange gutteral noises - at least mine do! Out here in the desert Southwest we have lots of little lizards that sun themselves on the cinder block walls around my house.

My cats have now become INTENT lizard-watchers! Even caught a few of the poor things that wandered into the garage... ick!