Curve Ball

Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

<<<AH currently "smoothing it over" by cooking dinner tonight... called to tell me about it too.

Fair warning... When my AH falls off the wagon it's all MY fault. If it weren't for [fill in the blank] he wouldn't drink. Don't let her send you on a guilt trip.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reddmax View Post

The weird thing about all of this is that she hasn't had any withdrawal symptoms as of this morning, or they may be masked by her flu. I don't know.

Redd

My bro only shows signs of withdrawals at about day 4, and it's always when theres some kind of trauma that he doesnt want to deal with, he does it to show us how well he's doing and get the parents worried and on red alert and divert attention from whatever it is that he doesn't want to deal with. It works every time for my parents, it's wearing thin on me now though. So thin it doesn't matter to me if it ever happens for real or not anymore.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I forgot to say, withdrawals are the one thing he knows that I know he can't fake. Everything has its uses to him.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reddmax View Post
A intervention would make her go nuclear, so to speak. She has this overwhelming need to hide things from other people. Her self image is so fragile, that anything (even things outside her drinking) that contradicts that image is a threat that must be destroyed. It leads to some behavior that is totatlly nuts.

One of the possible things that she might be doing today is moving out. Not that it matters, but its the sort of thing she might do.

Redd
I used to think the same thing. My AH had me living in fear with his attempts to control. When I learned he was quacking and I was cowering over my fear of what could happen, I stopped worrying about what he was going to do.

Your AW isn't going to move out. I highly doubt it. She can't keep her act together right now. Her job will be next. She NEEDS you!!!! What will everyone think if she winds up divorced again?? Won't people ask? Will the word get out? How will she live if she gets fired? What other options does she have other than to rotate between crying, threatening you, scaring you, begging you and making ridiculous attempts to stop for a day to get you to stay scared and stay put while she continues drinking?

She's working you.

And my AH never exhibited withdrawal symptoms either.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Mine told me he had cancer, it worked for a while i went back, he had xmas and new year with me, and all the love and attention he wanted. Then when he thought i was hooked he told me the doctors told him the toumour was not cancerous.

that was his last attempt of manipulation, and the last time i saw him. dont be fooled by anything she does. Bless you

gill
Old 09-26-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't understand. Where is there a "curve ball" in this scenario? From what you have posted, it appears to me that you are living with an addict. She behaves the way addicts behave.

Whether you have the suspicion that she is scared or not is a moot point. She is an addict who is active in her addiction.

She is not committed to her recovery? From what I've read, she does not have a recovery, nor does she desire one.

So you wanted to know how this weekend will play out and you wanted to know if other A's have behaved this way as a manipulation technique. Armed with that knowledge, what changes will that make?

You have every right to intellectualize addiction. However, researchers are still trying to do that, and coming up with various answers. I know, having been married to two addicts, that all the knowledge in the world with which I was equipped ABOUT THEM did diddly-squat for my own recovery.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
I don't understand. Where is there a "curve ball" in this scenario? From what you have posted, it appears to me that you are living with an addict. She behaves the way addicts behave.

Whether you have the suspicion that she is scared or not is a moot point. She is an addict who is active in her addiction.

She is not committed to her recovery? From what I've read, she does not have a recovery, nor does she desire one.

So you wanted to know how this weekend will play out and you wanted to know if other A's have behaved this way as a manipulation technique. Armed with that knowledge, what changes will that make?

You have every right to intellectualize addiction. However, researchers are still trying to do that, and coming up with various answers. I know, having been married to two addicts, that all the knowledge in the world with which I was equipped ABOUT THEM did diddly-squat for my own recovery.
exactly. well put.