Open AA meeting horror

Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Open AA meeting horror

anyway its been a while since i attended an open aa meeting. i have drawn much inspiration, insight and hope from listening to stories of recovery.

last night after hearing a couple of very sad stories about family breakup, denial, getting sick, someone spoke of how their alc parent jumped in front of a train after other suicide efforts failed. both parents alcoholic, children alcoholic, a lifetime of tragedy and turmoil. i covered my face to hide the tears.
usually i get a coffee with the group after the meeting but i was too sad (depressed?)after hearing that story. after giving personal condolence i left.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

steve11694,
It is all sad, we have no control. I still find myself trying but with this disease we can do nothing but hope. My AH wife has found the AA way but we are totally out of touch. I have experienced too much havoc from this problem, makes me wonder.
When I do go I find the stories sad also.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It depends on the meeting for me, and my frame of mind. Sometimes the drunk-a-logs are too much for me as well, very painful and tragic and sad. The good speakers know how to take those moments and weave them into an inspiring story of healing and recovery.

Have you ever considered going to a local meeting's birthday celebration or perhaps a recovery weekend? THATs where I hear the great speakers, the stories of happiness, healing, hope.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

How heartbreaking.

sending you comforting thoughts and the hope of a more comforting meeting soon,

Rita
Old 09-19-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's very upsetting. My friend- with 21 years of solid, joyful recovery- told me this week that there are 2 outcomes with alcoholism- you either end up like he has, or with a sheet over you. One thing I have learned through all of this is how strong alcoholism is. It has the power to destroy everything in its path. It also has the power to lead to healing- which is the path I am on. (((Take care)))
Old 09-19-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too have heard some sad stuff at open AA meetings. That said I have heard some wonderful stories of recovery.

This disease effects so many, generations in a family, drinkers, non drinkers.
Just awful.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

It's very upsetting. My friend- with 21 years of solid, joyful recovery- told me this week that there are 2 outcomes with alcoholism- you either end up like he has, or with a sheet over you.
Actually it's:

"There are 3 'UPs' to alcoholism.

Locked UP.

Covered UP, (dead and buried) or

Sobered UP.

I am very grateful that I found the 3rd after the second. Yes the TOD was being put on my ER chart when my heart started on its own.

Unfortunately, we cannot save them all, and yes alcoholism and/or drug addiction is a KILLER. And not just to the individual practicing. There are more horror stories as to what has happened to the families and/or spouses of the addicted individual, in some instances and it's not pretty.

I am glad there are sites like SR that gives us such GREAT SUPPORT.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-19-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Seeking Peace and Serenity

I go to open meetings myself. It helps me understand how the drinker thinks and lets me reflect on my stinkin thinkin. Anyways, the stories are sad and dusturbing to the point of "didn't it just make you drink more" but even coodee's hit bottom and look at the wreakage and try to get going again. Sometimes those meetings help me get "out" of myself for awhile.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The great stories of recovery, seeming at times to "come back from the dead", and literally in lauries case(G bless u) are wonderful to hear.