Let it begin with me

Old 08-29-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let it begin with me

I’m in a place where I feel that I have to give this one last shot. I’ve been doing a lot of soul-searching lately, and have really started to identify a lot of my own issues. I feel like I couldn’t walk away from this without having approached things with my new perspective and my new awareness of my responsibilities for the state of our marriage. Yes, alcohol was a huge contributing factor to the deterioration, but I need to stop blaming that for everything that is wrong with our marriage. I need to conduct myself in the way I want to be treated, without having to blame, redirect, or validate. I owe it to him, but even more so, I owe it to myself. If this should end, I have to know I did everything I could, and have no regrets.

I am afraid to trust other people with my emotions. I am uncomfortable with being affectionate. I was raised in a home where there was not a lot of love/affection shown. Everyone was just cold, and on their own agenda. It was just a house full of people who were like roommates. I never really thought about it before, but the more I do think about it, I realize I have displayed those traits, and they are not conducive to a healthy, loving relationship with anybody. I will be the first to say that a persons childhood sets the stage for the type of adult they become. But, I never acknowledged the effect *my* childhood had on me.

I take everything as an insult; any kindness I am suspicious of. I’m always looking for the ulterior motive. I need to break that cycle, regardless of what anyone else is doing. Let it begin with me. I need to trust.

It really helps to get this all out there. I don’t know why, but it does. I’ve asked myself what my ideal situation would be. What I would like to see happen. And I realize that I have to change my attitudes if I want to achieve that.

Well, thanks for listening. It's quite a ramble! I would love to hear your opinions/input/experience. I’m taking a weekend retreat, and plan to do a lot of thinking and analyzing of myself. I really appreciate all the food for thought that is shared on this site.

juju
Old 08-29-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are proceeding with thought and care for yourself as well as wanting to do what you can for your marriage. Sounds like a wonderful way to proceed to me. {hugs}
Old 08-29-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Barbara!

Looking at myself and what I could change in me was the hardest thing I ever did.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

It sounds like you know where you want to go and with a healthy thought/plan in place! Strive for what you want and never forget yourself!

Growing up without love/affection myself it is amazing when we start to recover how
none of that really matters anymore-what matters is TODAY!