Need Luck and Advice Soon!!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I agree with Barbara. This is about business; it isn't personal. Your employer wants the best for his business; just as you want the best for yourself. One thing I've learned in the business world is to never burn bridges. I don't know how my life will pan out. One day I might want to work there again. I might need to get a good reference from them. Or I may end up working with a former co-worker at a new job.

The more recovery I get under my belt the more I realize that I often invited drama into my life. These days when I feel the need to lash out at someone or vindicate myself, I take a time out and think about what the long-term consequences of my actions may be if I act irrationally, emotionally, or too quickly.

Today, I prefer to exit with dignity and grace, with my self-esteem intact, and knowing that I did not injure myself or others in the process of ending a relationship (business or personal).
Old 08-28-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Heather,
I would take this as a new beginning. You have a couple weeks, no big rush to get a new job. I would think about what you WANT to do and go out and get it. You don't need to just grab any job for the sake of getting a paycheck. You'll have one for a couple weeks at least..and being that THEY are relocating and it wouldn't be in your best interest to go with them, I think you will get unemployment no questions asked. It wasn't because of anything YOU did. You weren't fired.
I would look in the paper... think about WHAT you like to do and go for it. I don't know what you like to do but when I needed extra cash I got a part-time job at Barnes and Noble cause I LOVE books, music and coffee. I figured they could put me anywhere and I'd be happy. I did like that job but they weren't hiring f/t and I needed benefits for me and my kids. I'm not saying that's your deal, but you know what I mean.

Think of this as a new beginning...a clean slate...you can totally reinvent yourself.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Thank you, love you guys! I'm' definitely going to go out with my dignity and with respect. I was told i would get an incredible letter of reference. I've been very good to them both personally and professionally. I just feel by going is doing something that i don't want to do and strongly feel like this is not my problem. I went above and beyond by staying with them 4 weeks and not leaving before the actual move. What about my having to find a future of my own? How am i suppose to get myself straight when i'm settling them!!!

I was talking to my dad and he agreed that training here in the local office is sufficient and if they thought it might have been an issue that they should have stayed in the current location an extra month to train!

I REALLY want to stick to my decision because they had not problem canceling my insurance after a day!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I agree that this is buisness and sit down approach them as such-
If you would like me to stay to train ....this is what I want.......(Stick to your guns)

They are probably right that it will benefit you to do the extra training (knowing full well they are looking after their own best interest) however tell them it will only benefit you if you get this i.e. gas money, letter up front whatever else would appear reasonable. I would honestly make sure you get that letter before you decide if you decide to train. Either way make sure you get that letter before your final walk out the door.

You need to do what you feel is best for you! Breathe....Breathe again and then
go talk to them-about business and what Heather wants!

Good Luck sweets

P.S. Question: They cancelled your insurance while you are still working there??? Make sure they
give to you a Cobra letter- (To continue the insurance-if you decide too)
Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

phhhewwww! All done and over with! My last straw was when my bosses wife called and asked how i was and hoped that i went to train and that maybe it would "help out my family". WHAT??? Are you kidding me!!!! Like my parents are destitute and i am paying for them. My parents made a VERY good living (they are retired)!! My bosses wife knows my mom was let go at school after 22 years but she was leaving anyways! I just thought that was the straw that broke the camels back and was an insulting thing to say knowing us for 10 years now!!

Anyways, i was firm, said that i didn't want this to get ugly, sad, mad or guilt me into going and that i stood by my decision to leave on the 19th of Sept. As they DIDN'T give me much time to prepare or find a new job...not to mention that they knew they were moving starting this past FEBRUARY!!! And i mentioned that i felt as though it was weird he would drive me to work and back like i was a child without a license...hows about $100 for gas

Anyways, it's over, done and moving onto the final weeks, i didn't even get into severance, i just want a letter, my bonus and my work and vacation days paid upto date.....then Sianara!!!

I could not let this ruin my long weekend and hang over my head anymore!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Now you can have fun talking to headhunters. I talked with one this morning who tried to talk me into moving to New Jersey (even though my online profile clearly states I will not relocate) and another who tried to talk me into taking a 50% pay cut to fill a job he can't find anyone for. LOL
Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

On to bigger and better things! The world is your oyster...!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

You know what Barb, that's funny you say that because a headhunter is how i found this job. They would call me with EVERY scenario in the book to get me to take a job and i kept saying NO until i got this offer and at the time it was very good! Oh and to boot, they asked if i wanted a job at Heineken or some beer company!! How ironic that now I'm here at SR!!!

Cant wait to now be picky again lol!!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hey HBB,

I'm losing my job as well. Only I don't know exactly when. I will receive an estimate on Sept. 5th. And the only thing for sure that i know is that it will be at least 60 days notice and could be up to 6 mos.

At first I was kinda happy. I'm not all that happy with my job. It's where i met my xabf and he's gone form there now. And it was kind of a dead end. Didn't pay the best for my field.

Some days though I get frightened. I've been there 8 years and I dread going on interviews. And it's so competitive, and the economy is suffering etc. On the other hand...I'm determined to build a fabulous wardrobe now (partly also to boost my self esteem which is weak), go over my resume with a fine tooth comb, and just put all my effort towards finding a job that I might really enjoy more. I'm hoping this is fate, pushing me to better things.

unlike my xabf...whom was fired 7 months ago, I'm actually going to LOOK for work, not wait for openings to come into my e-mail box only to not apply because...well who knows why!