Courage to Change ~ ~ Taking Care of YOU

Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Freed from the anguish

Courage to Change ~ ~ Taking Care of YOU

Reading from Al-Anon book "Courage to Change" for August 16th (I know this post is late, but it's SO powerful):

"During stressful periods it can be tempting to skip a meal, push ourselves until we are totally exhausted, and generally ignore our basic needs. In the midst of crisis, taking time out for an Al-Anon meeting, a call to a Sponsor, or a breath of fresh air may seem like a waste of all-too-precious moments. There don't seem to be enough hours in a day, and something has to go. But are we choosing wisely?
"At the very time we most need to take good care of ourselves, we are likely to do the opposite. If we decide that our needs are unimportant or that we're too busy, we sabotage our own best interests. In times of crisis, we need to be at our best. By making an extra effort to get nutritious food, sleep, Al-Anon support, relaxation, and quiet time with our Higher Power, we strengthen ourselves physically, emotionally, and spiritually. This can make a difficult situation a little easier."

Today's Reminder
I am the only one who can make my well-being my top priority. I owe it to myself to pay attention to the needs of my body, mind, and spirit.

"Putting 'First Things First' in troubled times often means finding whatever way I can to set aside my burdens, even if just for a moment, to make time for myself." ~ ... In All Our Affairs
Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Freed from the anguish

Originally Posted by JustMeInWI View Post
Today's Reminder
I am the only one who can make my well-being my top priority. I owe it to myself to pay attention to the needs of my body, mind, and spirit.
This moved me SOOO much this weekend, so I had to post and share for all of you too. As I'm reading further into the "Codependent No More" book, I am finding my biggest issue is in the "Caretaker" role. I put EVERYONE before myself no matter what, no matter where, many times for no good reason. Then I sit around feeling so sorry for myself wondering why no one around me is putting me first like I do for all of them.

When I read this reading, it hit me like a ton of bricks. It's not their resposibility to take care of me or put me first - AND - it's NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY to put THEM first or make THEM my priority.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Thanks so much for posting this!!!

I was called a "Martyr" at a meeting last year when it was made known that I had taken 0 vacation time in almost 9 months.

I was embarrassed and ashamed, even though some managers loved me for being so dutiful...I was angry with myself for not taking care of me. I then promptly scheduled 3 weeks of vacation
Old 08-18-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Day, by Day, by Day.....

Thank you JustMeInWI! I love reading from this book. I always try to read at least something each day - thanks for the post.