Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

My husband just celebrated his 3rd anniversary of being alcohol and narcatics free!

My husband just celebrated his 3rd anniversary of being alcohol and narcatics free!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

I just HAD to share this with all of you since you helped me tremendously way back then.

Yesterday was my AH's 3rd anniversary of being free from alcohol and narcotics. On Saturday nights, the AA meeting he attends is a spiritual candlelight meeting. The normal leader just called and asked him if he could lead the meeting. So, he just shared with me this meditation he read this morning and said it would be perfect for the meeting topic.

24 Hours A Day Meditations by Hazeldon

August 2nd

God is always ready to pour His blessings into our hearts in generous measure. But, like the seed-sowing, the ground must be prepared before the seed is dropped in. It is our task to prepare the soil. It is God's to drop the seed. This preparation of the soil means many days of right living, choosing the right and avoiding the wrong. As you go along, each day you are better prepared for God's planting, until you reach the time of harvest. Then you share the harvest with God - the harvest of a useful and more abundant life.

This above meditation really touched me.

My husband has embraced the AA program and in turn embraced a relationship with his higher power, God. God made some people to be crusaders for Christ.... JESUS WILL HEAL YOU! AMEN BROTHER! And, then God made some people like my husband... caring men who build relationships of honesty and love with others, (preparing the soil).

Which type of person are you? HEAL THAT MAN!!! or, "how are you doing today, brother?" Whichever it is, I hope you will embrace the relationships in your life, and start living a life of contentment.

Yes, I have my own recovery story, but on his birthday, I wanted to share a little of his.

Last edited by wraybear; 08-03-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

your story is one of hope for those of us with a loved one in untreated addiction. Thanks a lot.

So, could you share with us:

What are some of the enabling actions that you changed in order for God to do His work in your husband's life??
Old 08-03-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Good to see you again, Wray. I hope you'll stop in from time to time and celebrate YOUR successes with us, and not just on anniversaries!
Old 08-03-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto what FD said, Wraybear. You and I go back a long way and you're in my thoughts and prayers. Please touch base with us to keep us updated on your entire family's recovery. We love ya, Wray!!!:ghug3
Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Awesome.
It is fantastic to get the good news as well.

Many congrats to your family.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
your story is one of hope for those of us with a loved one in untreated addiction. Thanks a lot.

So, could you share with us:

What are some of the enabling actions that you changed in order for God to do His work in your husband's life??
Sojourner, thanks for the question.

First of all, I was the Queen of Denial for 12-14 years. Secondly, my AH was in horrible shape, almost died in a car wreck and our two young children were with him. It was horrible... 2 1/2 months in the hospital for him, and 13 days for my 5 year old. The reason I am giving history is becuase I want readers to understand how terrible it had become. He had been drinking for 25 years, and it just kept getting worse. So, yes there is always hope.

But, I had to FINALLY realize, I could not help him. It was totally out of control. I also had to kick him out of the house. It was very difficult, but I felt at peace for the first time in many years. He got worse before he got better. He was taken by ambulance two times after the accident becuase his heart was barely beating due to too much alcohol and narcotics.

It sounds horrible, but I let him go, I did not see him, I did not accept his phone calls. I also decided during this time, I did not have to get divorced!!!! This was a huge weight off my shoulders. I didn't have to today, so I didn't. Eventually he lost everything and almost his life and that is when he started to take AA and his recovery seriously. Now, he is helping others. And, he is a happy person again.

It truly is a miracle. Regarding my own recovery, that is a miracle too. How do I live with a man that almost killed my children? Forgiveness. My resentments were, as you can imagine, a debilating part of my life. I guess I realized if God can forgive him, certainly I should be able to forgive him. And, the resentment is gone.

Anyone who is reading this that is still possibly in denial, please remember ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. I heard the words for 14 years. Too long to see no action. I hope none of you wait that long.

I wish all of you peace and contentment.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

wraybear,
What an inspiration you are! Congratulations to your entire family. I am so happy that this is the first post I read tonight
Old 08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a fantastic woman! So inspirations and true and honest. So happy for you and your family.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happpy for you! Your post was an encouragement!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you! You give me hope. All my prayers and positive thoughts are with you.

Doreen