Update - LONG

Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Is your daughter able to get a job and work to save for the money she needs to start school. She is almost an adult and should be able to help you financially (for her needs) to put less burden on you.

I am so sorry about your cat... I understand how hard and sad it is to lose a pet.

Your words are right you are almost there. Things will get better. Even when it seems as though they will not. Is your AH able to help you financially to get some of these bills paid so you can have water and a phone? Let him try and help you rather you always helping him.

Are you able to go to a church and ask for finanical assistance? I know we have programs like that in NJ? They will help you get on your feet?

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I have to say there is a special place in heaven for you, and other spouses/partners that have decided that their marriages/situations deserve every opportunity to work.
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the above statement that appears to encourage partners of addicts to stay for the long-haul is victim-speak?

I can't imagine that my HP will offer me a special place in heaven because I chose to remain a life-long victim of someone else's abuse. I think it's much more likely that my HP would be pleased that I grew strong and independent and acquired enough self-love to demand much more out of a relationship than to settle for life with an addict.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the above statement that appears to encourage partners of addicts to stay for the long-haul is victim-speak?

I can't imagine that my HP will offer me a special place in heaven because I chose to remain a life-long victim of someone else's abuse. I think it's much more likely that my HP would be pleased that I grew strong and independent and acquired enough self-love to demand much more out of a relationship than to settle for life with an addict.
Yes, victim speak. Also offensive to assume that those who choose to leave did not do all they could/wanted to do to work on a marriage/relationship.

My HP does not hand out special places in heaven to those who choose to remain vicitms if they can help themselves. Nor does my HP think my live needs to be filled with misery to "prove" I am doing all I can to work on a marriage. My HP wants me to have the best life possible.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

nevermind, i have no comment
Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My HP, as I outlined in another thread as the natural laws of nature, defines my life as being what I make of it. If I choose to live a life of martyrdom, nobody will applaud, least of all the alcoholic in my life. If I choose to be the weak member of my pack, the laws of the food chain will take care of me.

If I choose to be strong, take care of myself, and stop expending my energy on matters that don't concern me, I will survive and be happy. I think 18 years is long enough to give my relationship every opportunity to work.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by needtolearn View Post
...First, I want to commend you on your courage, and I have to say there is a special place in heaven for you, and other spouses/partners that have decided that their marriages/situations deserve every opportunity to work...

I agree FD, victim speak for sure. There is no reason why anyone should flog themselves away on the 'hope' that anyone will improve. When people get married there are often marriage vows taken by each partner; the ''for better or for worse, richer for poorer, in sickness and in health'', I think people refer to these in times of trouble from the point of view of the victim or martyr stance. It is the ''I made my vows to stand by this person! I cannot betray my vows no matter how I feel'' speach.

To me say that each state will be temporary. That there will be occasions of sickness, but not all one persons and not all of the time; the same can be applied to other vows.

Also it seems a bit off to say that anyone receives a special place anywhere because of their commitment to stay. Figuratively speaking then, as I left, where will I go?! - Opens up a can of worms for me.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strongerwoman View Post
Apparently that night she spent at his house with her kids (she was really drunk - had gon out to a bar near AH's apt, got drunk and then called AH for a ride home), they watched a movie and she spent most of the night and morning throwing up, while AH went to bed.
Anyway you look at it, it was totally inappropriate, but he swears nothing happened, no kissing, no touching, nothing.
Your choice, of course, but if you will buy that, I have this bridge for sale.......

L
Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Your choice, of course, but if you will buy that, I have this bridge for sale.......

L
LOL
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Isn't this moderating someone else's response?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Moderating seems to be in the air today...
Old 07-30-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Isn't this moderating someone else's response?
No, that sentence jumped out at me and I was sharing my thoughts on the subject. What was the purpose of your posting?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Strongerwoman...you have to do whats right for you...I kinda get the impression that this post has you feeling beat up...(especially those who think they are being "light and funny" with their responses)....that's not how most of us want you to feel.

It's hard when you feel so strongly about your AH and where you want to be in your life. Please take the comments as an attempt at helping you to be strong and not as a criticism of your hopes and feelings.

One day even one hour at a time helps me keep it in perspective, especially when you are still in the midst of active addiction or even early attempts at recovery. No one can tell you what to do...just keep it real...with your eyes wide open...one minute at a time. You are a smart woman who knows what she wants and needs.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theotherone View Post
that's not how most of us want you to feel.
Wow, speaking for "most of us" and taking credit for someone else's feelings all in one phrase.

I will speak for myself only. From the outside looking in, his story about the other woman is not very believable. I am not being "light and funny." I am quite serious about doubting his sincerety. If it were me, I would not buy it. I also would not buy a bridge from someone on the internet.

L
Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was just wondering if this is his final chance, make or break, so he can't blame you if you call things a day.

If it isn't, how many chances does he get?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I've been in your shoes, SW. Trying to stand by my man and working on my own recovery. I started that in 1998. Here we are, 10 years later, and my H tried to commit suicide by drinking himself to death.

I hope, for both of your sakes, that he's serious about his recovery and you are serious about your own.

If I knew 10 years ago what I know now, I'd have been gone a LONG time ago. The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior. Unfortunately, I was blinded by love and hope for the man I committed to spending the rest of my life with. I liked what the poster said about it not being about one person's sickness ALL the time.

I wish you well and hope that your story is a success.

Proceed with caution.

Wishing you strength and clarity.