He's still gone and I'm still hurting...

Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting to my HAPPY PLACE!

He's still gone and I'm still hurting...

No contact for either of us but I saw him yesterday with his NEW skank driving his truck. I'm sad. I'm hurt. I'm pissed. All I can think is what a wonderful time he must be having with his new life b/c he doesn't have me around to bitch at him about his drinking. Why does he get to be happy? Why does he get to spend time with some random girl (he picked up at the bar the night we broke up) doing all the stuff that we did? How can he walk away that easy?

There is a man that is totally crazy about me right now and I just can't go there with him. I've been totally honest with him about everything and he still wants to see me but I can't get my Xabf out of my head. I find myself comparing them physically and mentally and I hate that I'm doing that. He's sweet, caring, polar opposite of xabf, but I find myself missing the drama.

My xabf is not only an alcoholic (one in denial) but also a drug addict and doesn't know the meaning of "class" - something I tried to teach him but failed miserably. He's living in a hotel (very near my house) with a barfly, just going about his every day business and in my mind - I keep thinking that I'm not even a thought to him anymore. I'm hurting beyond belief and want to get past this.

Help me.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by lovtolaff View Post
Help me.
Sorry you are finding it hard lovtolaff. Be patient with yourself! Rome wasn't built in a day, and recovery is a life long process. Don't beat yourself up for not being where you want to be. You will get there in time.

All I can do to help you get past these feelings is to say that I cannot help you, you need to help you.

If you want past these feelings, time to do some hard reflection on you. Why are you so hard on yourself and refer to yourself in a derogatory manner? Why do you still focus your energy on your ex? Why do you feel that having someone by your side will make you happy? Why do you miss the drama?

Answering these questions will quite likely lead you to a deeper understanding of yourself and shift your focus back onto you, what you need to do to help heal you and stop fixating on him.

Are you going to Al-anon? There is a formula from AA and Al-anon ''HOW'': Honesty, Openess, and Willingness to try. Be honest with yourself about your emotions and where they come from, be honest with others about your feelings too, be open to new ideas and people in your life, open to new friendships, open to your feelings, open to your pain, be Willing to try new ways of thinking, new ideas, new hobbies, be willing to try to delve into yourself etc etc.

Be gentle to yourself.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know why my focus is shifting so much on him today. I know in my heart that I could never take him back - heck, I don't think I even want him back - but knowing he's spending time with someone else so soon after what I thought was a pretty intense relationship - just hurts to the core.

Maybe I'm just having an "off" day and tomorrow will be better.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Why does he get to be happy?
He doesn't.

Alcoholics can't accept life on life's terms. They can't handle responsibility of any kind. They hate themselves. That's why they drink.

The new woman isn't a skank. She's simply his current victim, there to be used at his discretion and take care of all his responsibilities so he can continue being a drunk. She, too, is disposable when she no longer supports his drinking. She's no more responsible for his behavior than you are.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're not having an off day. You're doing what we all do when something we wanted isn't happening. We mourn. Nothing about alcoholism really makes sense. I put up with a lot over 18 years. My STBXAH seems to have moved on quite easily. He is seeing a woman he works with. In the meantime he left me with the responsibility of dealing with our house- which needs to be sold, the dog and our daughter- who- thankfully- lives with me.

I agree with Lilyflower- only you can help yourself. Her questions are good ones- and I have to add to them- Why did you think it was ok to be with a drug/alcohol addict? Why did you feel it was up to you to show him what class is? I ask, because I am asking myself the same kinds of questions. It's painful to look inward, but I know it's necessary in order for me to move forward and make better choices for myself.

I'm finding that it is not my job to show STBXAH what I think he should do or want. I can only decide for myself what I want. I'd love to believe someday I will choose to be in a healthy relationship. Right now I am busy taking care of myself.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lovtolaff,
I have to tell you...I held my breath the entire duration of reading your post. It's me. damn. I spin and swirl in the wake of my stbXAFB's bullsh*t...constantly losing sleep over how I can "change him"....I'm as Codie as it gets..and trying to work on it daily. My ABF is in rehab and confiding in another chick, but I'm the one whose nursed him back from the edge HOW MANY TIMES??????? UGH.
Former Doormat's post above is right on...and she posted in another thread a week ago or so that I thought was so perfect, I copied it to my email so I always have it...and read it often when I begin to swirl again....
I've copied it for you below.
(Thanks FD for the great "Potential" post...it has helped me alot!!)

But he has such potential"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"But he has such potential." "When he's not drinking he's the sweetest, kindest, gentlest man I know." These are phrases I hear often on SR and two I used for many years until I was able to chip away my layers of denial and see my situation for what it really was.

In his book, "The Gift of Fear," Gavin DeBecker addressed this issue in a way I thought might be useful to others on this forum, so I'll share it here:

One of the most common errors in selecting a boyfriend or spouse is basing the prediction on potential. This is actually predicting what certain elements might add up to in some different context: He isn't working now, but he could be really successful. He's going to be a great artist--of course he can't paint under present circumstances. He's a little edgy and aggressive these days, but that's just until he gets settled.

Listen to the words: isn't working; can't paint; is aggressive. What a person is doing now is the context for successful predictions, and marrying a man on the basis of potential, or for that matter hiring an employee solely on the basis of potential, is a sure way to interfere with intiution. That's because the focus on potential carries our imagination to how things might be or could be and away from how they are now.

Spousal abuse is comitted by people who are with remarkable frequency described by their victims as having been "the sweetest, the gentlest, the kindest, the most attentive," etc. Indeed, many were all of these things during the selection process and often still are--between violent incidents.

But even though these men are frequently kind and gentle in the beginning, there are always warning signs. Victims, however, may not always choose to detect them. I made these points on a recent television interview, and a young woman called in and said, "You're wrong, there's no way you can tell when a man will turn out to be violent. It just happens out of no where." She went on to describe how her ex-husband, an avid collector of weapons, became possessive immediately after her marriage, made her account for all of her time, didn't allow her to have a car, and frequently displayed jealously.

Could these things be warning signs?

In continuing her description of this awful man, she said, "His first wife died as a result of beatings he gave her."

Could that have been a warning sign? But people don't see the signs, maybe because our process of falling in love is in large measure the process of choosing not to see faults, and that requires some denial. This denial is doubtless necessary in a culture that glorifies the kind of romance that leads young couples to rush to get married in spite of all the reasons they shouldn't, and fifty-year-old men to follow what is euphemistically called their hearts into relationships with their young secretaries and out of relationships with their middle-aged wives. This is, frankly, the kind of romance that leads to more failed relationships than successful ones.

The issue of selection and choice brings to mind the important work of psychologist Nathaniel Branden, author of "Honoring the Self." He tells of the woman who says: "I have the worst luck with men. Over and over again, I find myself in these relationships with men who are abusive. I just have the worst luck." Luck has very little to do with it, because the glaringly common characteristic of each of this woman's relationships is her. My observations about selection are offered to enlighten victims, not to blame them, for I don't believe that violence is a fair penality for bad choices. But I do believe they are choices.
ANOTHER GREAT RESPONSE IS THIS ONE BY LIGHTSEEKER, IN RESPONSE TO MY POST ABOUT HOW SELFISH MY ABF WAS AND HOW UNFAIR IT IS THAT I'M JUST HERE "TRYING TO HELP".

I think that any time spent thinking that anyone will ever "get" how mistreated I've been is simply a huge waste. No one should ever get a hallpass for being unkind, disrespectful, manipulative, selfish, etc. That includes addicts, recovering addicts, non addicts, etc. It is up to me (us) to determine what is acceptable behavior and what I will expose myself to. Acceptance does not mean accepting poor treatment - it means acceptance that there might be a situation that I can't change in any other way than to have boundaries with consequences in place. Maybe what I have to do is remove myself from the situation.

You can be an extremely kind, compassionate, loving person without being co-dependent. It's all about the motives behind anything. Many times co-dependents hide their true motives from themselves - the kindness, love, compassion, etc. are all given with the price tag of expectations of how we will be treated in return. As in - if I care for you and tend to you, then you will realize how much you need me and will give me the love that I am craving. Until we learn to love in a healthy way, we are drawn again and again and again to those that are unavailable and can't love us in return.

Many people that are co-dependents are also relationship addicts. I've read alot of Charlotte Kasl's work - her book Women, Sex, and Addiction was the biggest eye opener for me. I realized how my relationship addiction played into my co-dependency/alcoholic tendencies perfectly. If you ever find yourself in a one-way love affair it is certainly an area to look into.

I abhor the victim role that I have played for so long - I now see how I teed myself up for the lousy treatment that I have received throughout my life. I've made poor choices in my relationships - finding people that weren't available to love me. I am powerless over a lot of things - and one of the biggest is my desire to be loved (especially by a romantic partner). I have lowered my standards in the past to feed my addiction - the addiction to love and other people. Until I began learning to love myself from the inside out I wasn't able to make healthy decisions in relationships. I always had an excuse about how this person was "different, not understood, just needed someone on their side". Oh well - I thank God every single day that there is a path to walk that leads to recovery from all of our addictions. All of this is why I stand firmly on the principle that we truly are as sick as any addict in our lives that we think needs help.

I think that the world will become a better place when we all learn to honor ourselves and settle for nothing less in return. Easier said than done - I'm well aware. However, if I am taken advantage of because of my kindness then I know that I have set myself up. The 4th step helped me to take a close look at all the resentments that I had accumulated through the years - now I see how my denial, perception issues, low self esteem, self-delusion, poor boundaries all set me up for what ended up being my resentments

Hope this helped..... Sometimes it helps just knowing you're not alone in this situation, and there are others like me here trying to work it out too.....

keep posting.
Hugs,
rivka
Old 07-16-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many times co-dependents hide their true motives from themselves - the kindness, love, compassion, etc. are all given with the price tag of expectations of how we will be treated in return. As in - if I care for you and tend to you, then you will realize how much you need me and will give me the love that I am craving.
Yep this is me. I just knew if he saw how GOOD I was to him that he would realize how much he needed me and he would love me more than anything. However, I've realized that he loves the drink more than anything. I can't compete with that - believe me, I tried.

I'm having a terrible couple of days - can't get him out of my mind. I go back and forth with thinking that every time I think of him I should just make myself replace the thought with something else but then I think well shouldn't I go ahead and let the thought happen so that I can get over this? It's just that I'm DWELLING - dwelling on missing him and dwelling on what he is doing now that we are apart. Any suggestions?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh my.....the obsessive thinking is a difficult one to overcome.....but it is possible.

My daughter's former ABF did some really bad things to her. She stuck with him through treatment. She supported him emotionally with his recovery. Three weeks after a 30 days treatment, he starts to drink again. My daughter got cranky about it and he kicked her to the curb. He quickly found a new girlfriend TO SUPPORT HIS DRINKING since my daughter would no longer participate.

Your XABF has moved on. You may not entirely see it now but I think you dodged a bullet, just like my daughter. Life with him as you wanted it was not possible. I hope that you will be able to focus on yourself and getting yourself healthy. THAT is what you deserve!

I found your "Tool" lyrics very interesting (that's my RA son's favorite band). He quotes Maynard often. Read them again. They are so very true. That is what your XABF is doing to his new girlfriend.....instead of to you.

It takes time and commitment, but stopping that obsessive thinking is a great focus. You can't change the past. You can only affect your future. Make it a bright one and leave the darkness behind you.

gentle hugs
Old 07-16-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Obsessive thinking....yep I'm a pro at it. Also did it alot when we were still together...I analyze EVERYTHING to death. But when you have someone that lies to you in almost every breath and you know they are lying - you tend to try to "figure it all out".

Your XABF has moved on. You may not entirely see it now but I think you dodged a bullet, just like my daughter. Life with him as you wanted it was not possible.
Ya know what? I KNOW this..the whole "dodging the bullet" thing - but I can't seem to get my heart to FEEL it. And the life that I wanted with him - nope - you are right - it was NOT possible and I think I knew that very early on but I refused to give in. Oh how I wish I would have RAN at the beginning! And you have no idea how many people have told me this very same thing about how lucky I am that he is out of my life. Heck even guys that were HIS friends are telling me "I can't believe you stayed with him as long as you did" - these "friends" of his were fellow drinkers/druggers but they had met me and knew me well enough to have more respect for me than he ever did. How sad and pathetic.

I found your "Tool" lyrics very interesting (that's my RA son's favorite band). He quotes Maynard often. Read them again. They are so very true. That is what your XABF is doing to his new girlfriend.....instead of to you.
Ya know - since I first heard this song - back when I "thought" everything was just total bliss - it touched my soul in a way that no other song ever has. I always felt like it was speaking directly to me and I was living it day by day.

Thank God for this board and for all of the people here - I come here several times a day to get the strength to get thru this. Many hugs to everyone here.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

lovtolaff
When I start the obsessive thinking, I use the Serenity Prayer to help me stop. I would not call myself religious but I am very spiritual.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. (I ask myself if I can really change the thing that is causing me to frenzy think.)

The courage to change the things I can. (If I'm able to change it, I turn those frenzied thoughts to action.)

And the wisdom to know the difference. (I have to think about this one all the time because sometimes I take on things as my responsibility that I have NO right or reason to take on. If I can't control it, and I can't change it........I have to let it go.)

gentle hugs