Help!!!...Dilemma....IDK

Old 06-13-2008, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help!!!...Dilemma....IDK

I need advice asap. Short background - married 20 years, 2 kids, house. I decided FINALLY to make a move, I cannot take AH husband any more, we had stopped speaking, everything. I was making plans for my life. I secured an apartment, bought furniture from second hand stores, had enough saved to float both the apt and house for 3 months...then, I got laid off two weeks ago. I am utterly devastated. I don't know what to do. I have been sending out resumes, calling for the past two weeks trying to find a job. I am trying to operate on faith, but it is so hard. To add insult to injury, I am an administrative assistant. I am tired of being an administrative assistant, but know that I have to do it in order to save my apartment. But with the economy is so crappy, I haven't had one bite. I also have been researching schools to see if there is any additional training that I can get to do something else as I don't have a college degree. I saw a nursing program that is one year. I don't know if I should forfeit my apartment (and sanity) or tough it out here 1 year and try to get into the nursing program. Last night I felt that I really couldn't stay here, by husband is just awful at times. But this is my second layoff in two years, and I just don't want to be on firing line again without something to hold on too. Administrative Assistant work is fast becoming not stable and I really need a skill that can transfer. Please help, I am losing it!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi CBB,

I'm sorry about your layoff. Our economy is really crazy right now, isn't it? I wonder if it would be helpful if you went to the nursing school that you are considering and talked with a counselor about options. Maybe they would even find a work/study position to help you. Another option might be to contact a women's shelter. They have experience in helping women who are trying to support themselves and children, and may be able to help you position yourself somehow.

Sorry this is not more helpful, sweetie.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with peaceteach. Try a woman's shelter. they probably have more resources than we know about. I bet if you tell them the situation they could help you out.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

CBB Sorry that you are going through this right now-

Peace is right possibly checking out a womans shelter is something to think
about-they do have a lot more resources than we can find ourselves!

There are also online courses for things like Medical billing-if that is something
that might interest you-among other things out there. And yes I do believe
that you are correct in saying "Admin work" is fast not becoming stable-I learned
years ago how to do billing both Medical and the regular "Quickbooks" which is not
hard to learn. There are a lot of people out there looking for a/r & a/p peeps as
they do not want to do that themselves!

Also I know unemployment here in NJ has a lot of resources too with helping you find a job-
Are you or can you file for UE? Something else to look into....

Good luck sweets hang in there!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know that GA has a program that will give free training to anyone laid off from their job or downsized. I just found out about it last night, when I was looking into online courses and schools. You might want to see if your state has anything like that...dept. of labor would probably know.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I just had a friend laid off yesterday, from a job she's been with 15 years.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy