Appt with attorney- I'm panicking!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Appt with attorney- I'm panicking!

I have an appointment with an attorney in a little over two hours and I'm panicking. I have a bunch of documentation in order, financial records, property distribution requests, custody requests, questions to ask, etc. My good friend is driving me so I can take an anxiety pill before I go. I know I'm doing the right thing, but I can't help but panic. I don't want to cry and humiliate myself in front of this attorney. (I don't know him.) I don't want to spend the rest of my life alone. I don't want a divorce to ruin my credit. I don't know if I'm strong enough to do this. I don't want AH to go crazy and hurt himself or someone else. I don't want to live like this, but I'm so afraid to actually not live like this. Help.

T
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand how you feel as I felt the same way. You are taking another step on your journey. Trust in your HP to reveal more. You know, you are just educating yourself by seeing this attorney and the truth is always a good thing. Once you see your options then you can decide on the next step. Remember to breathe.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Change is scary - there is no doubting that.

Wishing you courage. I'm a weeper too, I can't help it. Please don't be humiliated if you cry. I understand you don't wish to but it doesn't make you any less of a person. You are human and you are hurting.

x x x
Old 05-20-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Believe me, the attorney has seen anything you come to him with and surely has seen lots of tears. You'll be ok. Just remember this attorney is not your therapist. Keep everything on an unemotional basis as much as you can.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Barbara's right. The attorney is for business, the therapist is for emotions. Try to keep it on a business level. I understand that there are emotions involved, but convincing the attorney why the marriage is failing is not required. Your time is better spent learning what your options are. Then go to a therapist to purge the emotions.

L
Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The appointment went well. I did tear up and my voice broke a couple of times, but I didn't totally lose control or anything. It was just so hard to say some of it out loud, you know. My best friend went with me for moral support, and I think that helped a lot. I felt like my heart would beat out of my chest at times, and when I did cry a little I was worried that I might not be able to stop, but I did. Even when that happened, I refocused my attention back on the paperwork I had brought with me and that helped get me "back to business" as you suggested. Most of what the attorney said was encouraging, but not all. It's not going to be easy, especially some of the part about wanting to stay in my house. Now that it's over, though, I have a sense of relief. It's out there, done, off my chest. I've taken a really difficult first step.

T
Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by makeachange View Post
I've taken a really difficult first step.
(hugs) Yes, that is a very difficult first step. Good for you.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember that first appt so well. (((HUGS))) I cried too. I'm glad it went well. It all will work out. Hang in there.