Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

New to this board-I feel like Ive been punched in the stomach

Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My husband and I are separated. He had 2 years sober and his brother called me today to say he started drinking again on Thursday(?).
I need to study for a test on Monday and I cant focus. I want to drive to his house-be with him (obviously I still love him, we had even talked about getting back together now that he was sober), but I know nothing I do will help. His family is with him, enabling of course, anyway. I mostly just feel sick. I cant focus, its so painful. Does anyone know how to focus on schoolwork when all you can do is obsess and worry? My heart is beating so fast...I guess I am having an anxiety attack. I just dont know what to do, help?:codiepolice
Old 04-19-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome Sarah

What I do ... pray and leave them in God's hands.

Having been the husband who was separated... I can tell you this from experience...
Let him deal with his own choices and the consequences of those choices is the only way he will learn and seek recovery for himself.
The best thing you can do for him is to take care of "you". His seeing how well you are taking care of yourself will speak more to him then anything else you could say or do. I know this first hand.
So...
Place him in God's hands and get back to your books. You will be doing more for him then you may ever know.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Hi Sarah and Welcome!!

Sounds like we have a little in common too. I'm trying to study for a mid term right now and am having a hard time focusing as well. Ughh!!

My xabf moved out a few weeks ago leaving me with a lot of his responsiblities. He moved to his alcoholic Dad's house and of course all his family on that side are A's.

Like best said, there isn't really anything you can do for him. As hard as it may be, all that we can do is put the focus back on us. Praying and coming to SR helps me a lot. I also go to counseling and AlAnon.

I won't lie, it does hurt like hell and like you described it being punched in the stomach. But remember this to shall pass.

I'm hoping once I dive into my books I'll forget soon enough.

Hugs and take care,
Lexi
Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At times like these we are made acutely aware that we have a spirit and a soul that are seperate from the body. You have been punched in your spiritual stomach. There are no visible bruises, no rash to put lotion on, no broken bone to set, no antibiotic to kill this infection. When the spirit is hurt, we feel it in every fiber of our being.
This is the real damage of this disease, it kills the soul.
It breaks the spirit. It makes it nearly impossible to focus on anything else.
For me, rather than trying to "do things", I had to develope clarity about my own convictions. I had compromised myself into nonexistance. The disease had stolen two souls, mine and his. I could not have faith when I had been let down so many times.
You see, I would be different than other women. I would stick it out. I would pray and endure what ever came.
What I did not see was that God was telling me to go when I was determined He wanted me to stay. I forgot about my husbands free will.
My husband had the free will to at least try and he didnt.
Even in recovery, the cliff is just an excuse away.
We compromise until we search for a crumb or a thread to hand on to.
What ever happened to having an equal partner?
I used to think I did drive him to drink. I was a reminder of the standard he couldnt live up to.
I don't know if alcoholics can not drink. I don't know if it is a disease, an addiction or what.
It became clear that I didnt know the cure either.
I could not stay and think any less of him than I did.
I felt like everyday I stayed with him, was one more day he would have to acccount for.
Until death do us part took on a whole new meaning for me. I was dead. My spirit was dead.
I am so sorry for your pain.
So if you did go over there, how do you see that playing out?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sister of Alcoholic

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to SR and I hope you'll stick around. This community is full of people who can relate exactly to what you're going through. I know the anxiety you've described...the last time my ASis went off the wagon, I felt sick for days and couldn't sleep, eat, concentrate, etc.

The hardest part is realizing that no amount of our own worry is going to change the outcome for the alcoholic; he/she is the only one who can change his/her outcome.

I have an anxiety disorder and do yoga, jog, write, and take long, hot baths when I feel anxious; remember to take care of yourself and that you're human. It's okay to acknowledge that we will feel unpleasant sometimes. Give yourself a little TLC.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sara and Welcome!!!

I was in that situation when I was in grad school. My ex addict bf loved to play mind games during finals. Once, he told me to get out 2 days before a final that my entire grade for the semester depended on. I went to study with a group, but took breaks to cry and be upset. I would give myself 5 or 10 minutes to get it out, then study for another couple of hours before my next "cry" break.

I know it's hard, but he will be there to deal with after your school work is done.

If you are really unable to focus, can you get an extension from your prof.? I was not in that position because I would have had to wait until the following year when then class was offered again to take the final.

Take a deep breath! You can get through this!

Big hugs to you!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Sarah! I know the feeling so well, guess we all do here! I read somewhere how unfair it is - we feel all the pain and anxiety while the A snores away in the next room, oblivious! I had a great job that paid more than I ever made in my life, but my A husband would be drunk when I came home, drunk the night before a big business trip, drunk when I was dealing with clients - I just couldn't concentrate and felt like I blew it time and time again - so quit the job when I probably should have quit the marriage instead!

It's so draining. Hope you are feeling better today. Try somehow to separate yourself from the feeling. It is just a feeling. We just can't let their choices keep us from doing what we need to do for ourselves.

Hot tea, hot bath, some upbeat music, maybe a little dancing around the living room even if you don't feel like it - and keep visiting us here. It helped me so much to know I'm not alone.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarahlm View Post
My husband and I are separated. He had 2 years sober and his brother called me today to say he started drinking again on Thursday(?).
I need to study for a test on Monday and I cant focus. I want to drive to his house-be with him (obviously I still love him, we had even talked about getting back together now that he was sober), but I know nothing I do will help. His family is with him, enabling of course, anyway. I mostly just feel sick. I cant focus, its so painful. Does anyone know how to focus on schoolwork when all you can do is obsess and worry? My heart is beating so fast...I guess I am having an anxiety attack. I just dont know what to do, help?:codiepolice
Tell me about it. I am also in school- separated from AH and going through a divorce. I'm totally focused. . . on this BS!!! Ugh! I finally told my advisor what is going on, so I can have a little understanding if things really go south. One thing I am trying to do is have a little compassion for myself. I'm not perfect. If I don't do well in my class I have to accept it. I'm doing the best I can. Maybe calling a friend, going for a walk or journaling will get some of your obsessions out of your system. It helps me sometimes. All I can say is I'm with you- and I'm sorry you are going through this. Try to take care of yourself. Going to school is a great thing! Just do your best and believe it's ok if you aren't perfect- especially right now. ((((()))))
Old 04-20-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mallowcup View Post
Until death do us part took on a whole new meaning for me. I was dead. My spirit was dead.
This is pretty incredible mallowcup- never thought about it this way. Thanks. . .
Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get on your knees and pray for God to remove the obsessions. Usually works for me.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I do understand but I will say, the world will not conform to fit around our acoholic issues at home. This is very important. Living with an alcoholic is frustrating but is rarely a temporary situational incident where we need some compassion THIS time. This is when we realize that we have to make life choices that will allow us to be productive. The world will not bend to accomidate the shanagans of an alcoholic.
Sometimes we get mad at the world because they dont understand our special circumstances living with an alcoholic. They dont see it as a special circumstance. They see it as dumb and avoidable. To finish nursing school, I had to make up my mind. My goals or this alcoholic life of compromises? I received no sympathy. I didnt deserve any special attention. Everyone there had hurdles and circumstances to overcome. Mine was avoidable.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What I do ... pray and leave them in God's hands.
This is truly the only thing that you can do.....I know that it hurts but really we just have to take care of ourselves. I am broken up with the xabf and I find it so hard b/c I want to be able to sit him down and knock sense into them but The harsh truth is that you can not.....no words that you say will make them chose to get sober.
Hard to wrap your mind around but that is truly how it is. Sorry you are going through so much right now.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Im in nursing school and I thought about calling my instructor, but the truth is, I am going into a profession where I have to learn to get through my emotions regarding patients and focus on the job so I doubt she would let me postpone the test. Besides, we have a test every week so I would just have more anxiety preparing for 2 tests.

And of course, he called me today,(while I was at Clinicals!!) full of resolve and apologies, gushing with love and guilt. I didnt really know what to say, tried not to lecture, and kind of just cried. Basically told him I'd heard it all before and its his decision if he wants to stay sober. Hes going to call me later...I better call my sponsor before that.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't let your school work get behind. I know that it is hard because I was in nursing school for a yr and so I know what the work can be like. Trust me that you will be better off if you just concentrate on your schooling and let things be. I know how it feels to cry and be so disappointed and I wish that for the past 4 yrs I would have concentrated on myself more and recieved a position withen my field of interior design(yes changed majors).

Its funny b/c now the xabf and I have been broken up for 2 months and I just recieved an offer in my field.....So excited and so proud of myself that I finally concentrated on my dreams.

Trust me when I say that you are not alone. You wish that you could just snap your fingers and they would be the men you want them to be. Unfortunately that is not the way life is. Just keep on doing what you are doing and if you focus on your goals and your dreams you may just have a influence on him and he may change for the better. If he does not well then you at least know that you achieved your goal and did not let his actions throw you off course.