Tell me about withdrawals

Old 04-16-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tell me about withdrawals

Hmmm, I just typed up an overview along with my questions and it disappeared out there in cyber space somewhere so here it is short and anything but sweet.

Tell me about what happens to a heavy drinker who has drank for years, and for the last 6 months of winter layoff from work has drank round the clock, then quits cold turkey.

Day 3 and he is shaking horrible, eyes look wild, very agittated. I've been gone alot with work and other so don't know what all is going on. Tell me what to expect (beside that it won't last) He has "quit" before, but not when it has consumed him like this now. (He looks the skid road bum part,obvious to even the outsider, he is very sick with his disease and health is failing) Tell me about withdrawels.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starr View Post
Hmmm, I just typed up an overview along with my questions and it disappeared out there in cyber space somewhere so here it is short and anything but sweet.

Tell me about what happens to a heavy drinker who has drank for years, and for the last 6 months of winter layoff from work has drank round the clock, then quits cold turkey.

Day 3 and he is shaking horrible, eyes look wild, very agittated. I've been gone alot with work and other so don't know what all is going on. Tell me what to expect (beside that it won't last) He has "quit" before, but not when it has consumed him like this now. (He looks the skid road bum part,obvious to even the outsider, he is very sick with his disease and health is failing) Tell me about withdrawels.

get medical advice for him asap

withdrawal from alcohol can be very dangerous

my brother had hallucinations, paranoia, cramps, sweats, chills loads more stuff, but it's different for everyone.

I do try not to give advice, but right now I would advise him to get medical help.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink Cold Turkey withdrawal from alcohol.....

Hi Starr,

I haven't experienced true withdrawal. When I quit drinking in 1988, I was detoxed in a hospital setting so didn't feel the horror of withdrawal....I only know from what others have told me.

You can get shaky inside & outside; you can see things and feel things that aren't there; you can't eat or sleep very good...need to drink a lot of water so you don't get dehydrated; you can become angry, agitated, tearful, very emotional over the littlest thing.

It is dangerous to do this cold turkey if a person has been drinking around the clock...can easily die from the withdrawal.

Some more people will come along with their experience, strength, & hope so you have more of an idea....if he has done this before and you have been there...it will be more intense than before since he has been drinking around the clock.

kelsh
Old 04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

heya Starr--
You may want to post this question on the "Alcoholism" forum. Probably they can answer you in greater detail.
He may want to consult a doctor. It is true that alcohol withdrawal can be quite serious and dangerous.

Good luck-
B.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Withdrawal in a long term alcoholic with health problems is very dangerous and should not be done without appropriate medical supervision.

My AH used to be able to stop drinking without a lot of problems .... but eventually his health began to fail and was quickly transformed into a sickly, frail, confused person. He ended up going to jail for his first DUI and while he he was there he gradually became very agitated and confused by his 3rd day and then suddenly refused his sedating medication he had been prescribed prior to going to jail...which he had always looked forward to to ease his assorted discomfort and health problems and would probably helped with his symptoms... and by the 4th day he was found him dead on the floor of his cell.

He obviously had died suddenly because they had observed him an hour before standing in his cell waiting for his release. There is no doubt in my mind that he died from obvious severe untreated withdrawal because he wasn't given the appropriate medical intervention that could have saved his life.

This is a serious situation that can end tragically without proper medical supervision.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here's a great thread right on this site, hope it helps:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

You have received some great advice.

And yes you can die from withdrawals. I was already at the ER when my body went into seizures. When they started I had a .38 bac and my body needed MORE. During each episode my heart stopped and they would get me started again. Then the last time, after I had been down for about 28 minutes the ER Dr started to write the TOD on my medical chart, and my heart started on its own. I was given a SECOND CHANCE.

Yes, detoxing can be very dangerous. You might suggest to him to see his Dr NOW. Other than that, watch for signs, if he gets any worse call for an ambulance or take him yourself to the ER. With all I have seen over these past almost 27 years in recovery, I always say do it under medical supervision.

Now, what are you doing for you? Have you tried Alanon. It's a great program and helps us to understand on why we need to set boundaries and how to set them and stick to them. Plus you will find others who have either gone through what you are going through now, or are in the same boat as you.

My favorite Mantra from Alanon is the 3 C's:

I didn't CAUSE it,

I can't CONTROL it, and

I can't CURE it.

I use both AA and Alanon in my recovery.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing. We do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies.

So I decided that as soon as he got home I would tell him he needed to get medical help because of what it could do quitting cold turkey. He comes in walking "normal", beer in hand, words slurring telling me yesterday "when he was sober" he lost $145.

He won't be able to return to work in the condition he is in and I am worried what the near future holds. Money is really tight right now anyways.

In answer of your question about what am I doing for me: I go to alanon when I can, I read alanon books and have codepentdant no more and several others, I detatch as much as possible still living under the same roof (I don't make enough money at my job to support myself and really don't have job skills for a better job), I journal, exersize, ride bike, several years ago I took a big step and joined a hiking/backpacking group and have become very involved with them (much to his dismay) It has really changed my life. I met many great non-alcoholic people, go on many trips, beautiful places, renews my spirit. (He is a very controlling person and I was socially isolated for many years. What a change! And it really angers him) I was feeling bad about going camping/fishing this weekend. Kept thinking what if he dies from these withdrawels while I'm gone. I guess now that things are back to "normal chaos" I can go. Strange how I feel better leaving him while he's drinking than when he wasn't. I guess I know what to expect when he is constantly drunk.

You know the thing is when he quit for those 3 days everything was still all about him...