Is Alcoholism Really A Disease???

Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is Alcoholism Really A Disease???

I am curious to know if you really believe in the disease concept? I have to tell you though I'm the alcoholic/drug addict. It has taken me about 5 years and 4 treatments to believe that it's really a disease. A relative of mine had 20+ years of sobriety and started to drink again. It took him only about 9 months to hit bottom again. I believe some alcoholics can use the disease concept as an excuse though.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This comes up periodically in here.

My opinion is that addiction is a disease with elements of choice. The addict can choose to fight the disease or not. I also beleive there is a genetic aspect to addiction, a predisposition to addictive behaviors. It does seem to run in families. But genetic predisposition is not the same as a cause since families can have those who are addicts and those who are not. I also do not view addiction as the same sort of disease as diseases such as cancer or the flu. There is a difference.

I do not accept people using the disease aspect of addiction as an excuse personally. Anymore than I allow myself to use my having grown up in an alcoholic household as an excuse for my choices and behaviors.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I believe some alcoholics can use the disease concept as an excuse though.
If I have a cold and cough in your face... Well there is no excuse for that.
Rude is rude. Disease or not.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really like to refer to it as more of an addiction. When my husband was verbally abusive this past summer, it was more of a beast (okay, Mr. Devil, it is time to leave my husband).

Sometimes, it is excuse to say that it is a disease because you have a choice to drink. It is not that you just got cancer. However, when my husband did start to take his recovery seriously, it was easier to see it as a disease--you see the withdraw symptoms, you see how they handle their life socially when they are in recovery.

But now that it has been a couple of months and he has had a relapse in January and another relapse in March--it is back to just being an excuse. He has been unemployed since last June--Where is the humility????Can he just go get any job and say 'Would you like fries with that'?

I went to an AA meeting in support of husband last Saturday and it seemed like a couple of the people there were talking about the pain that they were in and how alcohol used to be a way to deal with that. Humility though is really important in an alcoholic's recovery.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
PADRE

Post Is Alcoholism Really A Disease ?

IS ALCOHOLISM REALLY A DISEASE? LETS SEE-
"disease\di-'zez\n: an impairment of the normal state of the living body or one of its parts that interrupts or modifies the performance of the vital functions and is a response to environmental factors (as malnutrition), to specific infective agents (as viruses), to inherent defects of the organism(as genetic anomalies), or to combinations of these factors." Langenscheidt

An impairment of the normal state of the living body (like driving or working impaired) or one of its parts (like the brain) that interrupts or modifies the performance of the vital functions (like eating, sex or thinking) andis a response to environmental factors (like repeatedly ingesting a toxic fluid), (malnutrition)* to infective agents (like hep b or c, HIV, upper resperatory infections), to inherent defects (character defects) of the organism (alergy that causes a dependency on what makes it sick) (genetic anomolies), or to combinations of these factors. PADRE'

OR HOWS' 'BOUT; "ALCOHOLISM:1 : continued excessive or compulsive use of alcoholic drinks. 2a:poisoning by alcohol 2b: a chronic progressive, potentially fatal, psychological and nutritional disorder associativd with excessive and usu. compulsivedrinking of ethanol and charccterized by frequent intoxication leading to dependence on or addiction to the substance,..." it goes on and on, liver disease, withdrawl etc.
Langenscheidt Merriam-Webster
I guess its' a disease alright! :
Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
PADRE

well yeah, its is problem that manifests itself by creating a craving that making the drinker sick, both mentally and physically. It is chronic and it can be fatal
Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I believe that it is a disease whole-heartedly. First of all, I have had a lot to drink in my day, and it just never ended up affecting me the same way as it does an alcoholic. No choice, no good decisions on my part, were involved at all. Just the way that it is.

I don't really see how it being a disease is an excuse. It's just what it is. Mental illness is a disease, I don't see that people are using it as an excuse if they go off their meds, or stop treatment. It's an understandable tragedy. It messes their lives up, it messes up other people's lives, but that's just life, and it's not done out of spite.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

It doesn't matter what it is. All I know is that alcohol creates a problem for me. When I don't drink, I function. When I do drink, I don't. It is what it is. Now...what is it going to be? It is about choices.

I think the confusion gets caught between active drinking and not. When I'm drinking, the disease takes hold and I lose my power of choice. I can't drink, I can not drink. When I'm free from alcohol, I function well in society. When I drink, I exhibit all sorts of unacceptable behavior that does not normally manifest while sober. Being an alcoholic is not an excuse for bad behavior. In fact, isn't it to be expected? Drinking and unacceptable behavior go hand in hand.

Call it a addiction, a malady, a disease, an alergy....whatever. It still boils down to this, my body can not tolerate alcohol. If I indulge, it will ruin me one way or another.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PrettyViolets View Post
But now that it has been a couple of months and he has had a relapse in January and another relapse in March--it is back to just being an excuse. He has been unemployed since last June--Where is the humility????Can he just go get any job and say 'Would you like fries with that'? .
I have seen this happen with alcoholics before and they do use the disease as an excuse to continue relapsing. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that, and the alcoholic ego (ie. refuses to take a lower paying job) is absolutely maddening at times, isn't it?

The disease concept helped me understand why I did what I did, and I am convinced I have a daily reprieve from that disease.

The disease concept does NOT excuse what I have done in the past, and it's my responsibility to clear the wreckage of the past and make amends as best as I can.

If I relapse, then shame on me No excuse will do.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do believe that the result of drinking can be the disease of alcoholism (and other diseases, i.e. cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage, mental illness, etc.). Much like smoking can cause the disease of lung cancer (or other diseases, i.e., emphysema). Drinking is not the disease just as smoking is not the disease. Some people get cancer from smoking--but not everyone. Some people get the disease of alcoholism from drinking--but not everyone.

People have the choice to smoke but they do not have the choice of getting (or not getting) cancer. People have the choice to drink but they do not have the choice of becoming or not becoming an alcoholic.

I don't believe that anyone sets out with the intent to become an alcoholic anymore than someone who smokes sets out to get cancer. The question is......why on earth would anyone START smoking with the knowledge that it could result in cancer. Why on earth would someone CONTINUE to smoke knowing full well that they are damaging their health? Addiction. Why on earth would anyone START to drink if there is a chance that they could become an alcoholic. Why on earth would anyone CONTINUE to drink when it is destroying their lives? Addiction. Why? Because it is the nature of people.....particularly young people. They are invinsible......it can't happen to them. But it does.

Do we feel compassion for the cancer victim that has been smoking since they were 15? Should we feel compassion for the alcoholic who has been drinking since they were 15? Do we feel more compassion for the smoker than the drinker because cancer is recognized universally as a disease?

Bottom line.......alcoholism........it is a disease......an insidious disease. It is progressive and it will result in premature death if it is not treated.

I'll step off my soapbox now.

(By the way.....I am wearing my flame proof suit so I won't take offense to anyone who disagrees with me. We'll just agree to disagree.)

gentle hugs
Old 04-15-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Losingmymisery. When I'm drinking, the disease takes hold and I lose my power of choice.
Exactly.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stages

In the early stages of alcoholism It is a matter of choices
this Is what we mostly see today, the skidrow drunk has all
but disappered. the latter stages are insanity & eventual death.
choice is long gone, DTs are early warning signs of the latter stages, accute alcoholism, very very hard to arrest. All stages are still there and quite easy to achieveJust keep drinking.
MANY MANY sientists and doctors have recognized it as A
dissease therefore that is what it is. And if it were not considered a dissease,
YOU would be paying for treatment, counseling, & meds. rather than your insurance Co. No one is immune to the effects of alcohol some people are just not interested or never develop a taste for it.
All the insanity still awaits for an alcoholic, how bad do you want to get.

PS the #1 symptom is denial

Last edited by geees poncho; 04-15-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

its not a bloody diesease quit feeding this garbage into people heads, its a choice which yoiu can just an easy say no, cancer is a disease you dont choose to not want it or want it
Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

IMHO:
Addiction can be fatal.
It is a brain disease of the mind body and spirit.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

While we are on the subject I have a question.

Does the alcoholic start back up where they left off if they were in recovery for a few years, and then went back to drinking? Meaning will they immediately go back to where they left off as far as how much they were drinking prior to stopping and going into recovery?

I have heard this before, but am wondering how that would be possible?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I believe it is a disease. I also think it is hereditary, like many diseases, and certain family members are more susceptible to it than others. Just like breast cancer, or heart disease. When they check your medical history at the doctor's office, they ask which family members had what or died of what. I think alcoholism should be on that list if it is not already.

And yes, Lex, that does happen. I'm not sure what the medical explanation is, but they start up right at the level they had stopped, and it happens pretty quickly.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

BC

This topic comes up every so often and the same replies get posted every time.
What it comes down to...disease or not, some of us find that alcohol screws up our life, so we search for ways to handle it.
If it was just a choice that we could just stop... there would be no talk if it was a disease or not. Some of us may be able to just stop but many find that is something we just couldn't do on our own.
Disease or not...we are all here to find answers to a better way of life...a sober life.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lexusgirl View Post
While we are on the subject I have a question.

Does the alcoholic start back up where they left off if they were in recovery for a few years, and then went back to drinking? Meaning will they immediately go back to where they left off as far as how much they were drinking prior to stopping and going into recovery?

I have heard this before, but am wondering how that would be possible?

Thanks
No

It would take me about a week to catch up. (proved it once a long time ago)
Today I would be a two beer drunk. Give me a week and I am sure I could hold down a 12 pack or more.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

you chose to stop didnt you there for its not a disease you dont choose to have a disease you just get it, and its your choice to pick up the first drink not like you had to
Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
I do believe that the result of drinking can be the disease of alcoholism (and other diseases, i.e. cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage, mental illness, etc.). Much like smoking can cause the disease of lung cancer (or other diseases, i.e., emphysema). Drinking is not the disease just as smoking is not the disease. Some people get cancer from smoking--but not everyone. Some people get the disease of alcoholism from drinking--but not everyone.

People have the choice to smoke but they do not have the choice of getting (or not getting) cancer. People have the choice to drink but they do not have the choice of becoming or not becoming an alcoholic.

I don't believe that anyone sets out with the intent to become an alcoholic anymore than someone who smokes sets out to get cancer. The question is......why on earth would anyone START smoking with the knowledge that it could result in cancer. Why on earth would someone CONTINUE to smoke knowing full well that they are damaging their health? Addiction. Why on earth would anyone START to drink if there is a chance that they could become an alcoholic. Why on earth would anyone CONTINUE to drink when it is destroying their lives? Addiction. Why? Because it is the nature of people.....particularly young people. They are invinsible......it can't happen to them. But it does.

Do we feel compassion for the cancer victim that has been smoking since they were 15? Should we feel compassion for the alcoholic who has been drinking since they were 15? Do we feel more compassion for the smoker than the drinker because cancer is recognized universally as a disease?

Bottom line.......alcoholism........it is a disease......an insidious disease. It is progressive and it will result in premature death if it is not treated.

I'll step off my soapbox now.

(By the way.....I am wearing my flame proof suit so I won't take offense to anyone who disagrees with me. We'll just agree to disagree.)

gentle hugs
This is one of the most sensible replies I've ever seen to this topic, which has been debated to death on this forum.

Thank you,

L