Financial challenges from alcoholic brother living here

Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I hear two things all time, The A's are always trying, and we are always controlling.

IMO, the A's are trying, to keep their addiction going, and we are trying to keep thinks under control, but not controlling.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Some people need a push to get on the ball. BF grandson moved in here right from jail. He has burnt all his bridges but here. Just today we give him a week to either get in school or find a job. We cannot afford to feed the 18 year old kid forever.

We have been nice and try to lead him in the right direction. But the nice is not working. So he has one week to get it together.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My XAGF parents were going to move back up this area, now they are going to put it off. That's a shame.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Here's a great post in the sticky section for family members and it's a great place to start. I followed each step as though my sanity depended on it. Good luck and keep posting.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html
Old 09-26-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sounds like your brother is not thinking about your relationship as siblings, except insofar as he can use it to his advantage and get a free ride that allows him to spend all of his money on alcohol and drugs. He's only thinking about himself here, and, from the sound of your post, you're thinking mainly about him, too. So, who's thinking about and taking care of you and your husband in this picture?????

Personally, since your brother is not interested in respecting your relationship as siblings, I'm not sure why you have to feel like "the angry older sister." Why can't you instead just feel like the landlord who's been getting stiffed on the rent money you're owed? If you look at it from that perspective, what would you do? If you were his landlord -- which, in fact, you are -- what would you do with a deadbeat tenant like him?

You seem to believe that the fact that he's your brother somehow gives him the right to treat you in a manner that I doubt you would accept being treated by any other tenant. Personally, I rather think that's kinda backwards.

freya