Choices

Old 03-19-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Choices

I was reading another message board today, one that has nothing to do with addiction or codependence, and I found a couple of gems that I wanted to share.

C - Choosing
H - Healthy
O - Options
I - Instead of
C - Choosing
E - Endless
S - Stress

It was a good reminder for me that I make choices every day, large and small and not making a choice is still a choice.

Another little gem-

People who spend their days counting the rocks on the road never make the journey.
It seems everywhere I go I am reminded that ultimately, I am all I have and it's my job, no my journey, to make my life the best it can be.

Cheers,
L
Old 03-19-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, LTD.

I haven't figured out yet if it's my choice to wake up in the morning - LOL - but I do know that once my eyes are open, the choices begin. My feet hit the floor (if I choose) and until I climb back in at the end of the day, I will have made a multitude of choices. The most important one I make every day is to decide it's going to be a good day and I can handle what comes my way.

This works for me 95% of the time. Sometimes things out of my control pile up on a particular day - I can't figure out why that happens - and I get frustrated. Lo and behold - I have a choice in how I will handle that frustration. Some days I do great, others, well . . .

I like that acronym for the word choices. I'll probably be boring people to tears with it from today forward.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm really trying to make healthy choices, but some of them seem to be harder than others. For instance right now I am incredibly sad about the loss of my marriage- my dream. While I realize now I was losing that dream for years, I kept a death grip on it. I have to let it go, but it's incredibly hard. I want to wake up every day grateful and happy, but I'm just not happy. I fake it, and that seems to get me through the days, but I'm really hoping one day to have it be effortless. Other choices- like what to eat for breakfast- much easier! LOL
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Paj,

It's okay to grieve the loss of the dream. In fact, if you don't, you can't release it to make room in your life for the new dreams. In my experience, I haven't found it to be effortless. It gets easier, but not effortless. Maybe more like choosing what to eat for breakfast, lol. Being at peace doesn't necessarily mean being happy all the time. For me, it means being at peace even when I'm not particularly happy. Knowing that feelings are just feelings, and they will pass.

((()))

L
Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you LTD. Sometimes I think I'll never be truly happy. I know sadness is just a feeling, and one day I am sure it won't feel so raw. There's a part of me that's afraid to dream. I don't know if I'm very good at it. For a long time I dreamed I'd be a mom of 3 or 4 kids. I got one beautiful daughter and couldn't get pregnant again. I tried and tried for years- no luck. That was a hard time of grieving the loss of a dream too. Maybe my problem is in accepting what is reality and what isn't. The reality is that I just wasn't meant to have another child- for whatever reason. I feel lucky to have one. The reality is my husband is an alcoholic. He made some really bad choices in our marriage- but so did I. I had that Norman Rockwell dream, but the reality was completely the opposite. My denial of reality has been pretty strong. Hopefully accepting what is happening will make room for new dreams and allow me to get real about the possibilities for the future.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Being at peace doesn't necessarily mean being happy all the time. For me, it means being at peace even when I'm not particularly happy. Knowing that feelings are just feelings, and they will pass.
BTW- I really needed this today. Thanks for your wisdom.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How did I miss this thread?!!!

Choices choices, choices. That is all we do all day consciously or un/sub consciously. I try to bring more and more into my conscious every single day.