so close to home...

Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MISSYOUSO0167

Unhappy so close to home...

My older brother is addicted to pain killers and has been for quite some time and I have tried talking to him, offering my help how ever I can, etc.. and of course he tells me hes fine, hell be ok. its not as bad as you think, you know all those excuses we've all heard before and used ourselves, and I know he needs to come to the end or hit bottom on his own, its just sooo hard when its that close to home hes my brother I would give my life for him, and its just so darn hard to sit back and do nothing but wait till hes ready, in the meantime I'm watching him loose everything he has a great job, a beautiful home that he recently bough, and most of all a beautiful family two beautiful kids that are not stupid they have come to me about this and he rally thinks they dont know, thats the sad part, being in rcovery myself for the past 3yrs none of this should be new or shocking to me ,I dont know how to explain it, its just different when its family to me. if anyone has any input pls help I really dont want to see him loose everything before its to late, or God forbid loose his life! PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is so hard to watch anyone we love do this to themselves. The pain spreads to everyone around the addict.

How is his wife and children handling this? Perhaps you and his wife can go to AlAnon together and start understanding more on how its affecting you?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Welcome Miss,

I agree with Barbara. Are you and the family going to Al-anon?

You didn't Cause it, you can't Cure it and you can't Control it.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome, missyou, glad you're here!

There is help out there for YOU, too. I'd also suggest Al-Anon. Learn all you can about addiction - doing that helped me truly understand I could not control it.

Keep posting!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by missyouso9167 View Post
being in rcovery myself for the past 3yrs none of this should be new or shocking to me
Hmmmmm... If you have been in recovery, yourself, for this length of time, I'm sure you know that there is nothing you can do about your brother. Unfortunately, no matter how many tools we arm ourselves with, recovery is not novacaine and will not numb us from the pain of seeing our loved ones hurt. His kids are very lucky to have you as their safe place. You can't help him, but you can help them.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MISSYOUSO0167

Originally Posted by hope2bhappy View Post
Hmmmmm... If you have been in recovery, yourself, for this length of time, I'm sure you know that there is nothing you can do about your brother. Unfortunately, no matter how many tools we arm ourselves with, recovery is not novacaine and will not numb us from the pain of seeing our loved ones hurt. His kids are very lucky to have you as their safe place. You can't help him, but you can help them.
Yes I have been in recovery myself for the past 3 years, and as I had said in my post I do realize that he needs to hit his own bottom I just wish there was something I could do to prevent that because he is my brother(sooo close to home) and I know how hard I had to hit bottom before I surrendered, and I really don't want to see him in that condition and loose everything he's worked so hard all his life for (hes a late bloomer) he hasn't been out there that long I guess maybe I was hopeing maybe theres some kind of new way out there I dont know about yet, like I said its just sooo much harder when its a loved one!!!! thanx for the input & happy new year!