what to do with old wedding ring?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what to do with old wedding ring?

What are you supposed to do with your wedding ring, when it has sad memories attached to it? i don't want to be bitter. i don't want to "celebrate" the end of my marriage, and i don't want to throw it away/it seems like a waste. any charities that take wedding bands? should i pawn it and go out to dinner (does pawning a ring get you any money do you think?) am i supposed to perform some ritual? sell it on ebay? i'd be curious to hear what others did.... i don't want bad karma, but i also don't want to hang onto ghosts and relics that kicked me when i was down...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I donated mine to the Salvation Army. It brought a few bucks for that charity and it helped a young couple have a nice ring for cheap. Just like it once brought me a great deal of happiness, now it can bring happiness to other people.

Mike
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mine was engraved so I didn't even think about donating it much as I like Mike's suggestion.

I sold it to a jeweller because where I lived they would buy it back on the basis of its weight. I then put the money towards a very lovely white gold chain for my cross.

ARL
Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by lillian View Post
(does pawning a ring get you any money do you think?)
$1000 ring will get you maybe $100 at the pawn shop.
$1000 ring donated will get you a $1000 tax deduction (get a receipt*tax law changes*)
Go to a jeweler and ask them what they would give ...if they do buybacks.
Or stick it in the back of a dresser draw till you think more on what you would like to do with it. Raw feelings can have us do things we would rather have not done.

I like Mike's idea myself.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mine was bought a store that does trade ups so eventually I will probably trade it for a nice pair of diamond earrings
Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm married forever and not splitting, but I recently had my 3 rings (wedding band, engagement ring and eternity ring) melted down and redesigned into one band with the diamonds as the moon and stars (I based it on VanGogh's Starry Starry Night).

For me, it's still my original rings, just redone. The bands were wearing thin and rather than have them fixed I decided to redesign and have one ring that I liked.

Maybe you could have another piece of jewelry made that would be special to you and something you could pass down in years to come.

Just a thought.

Hugs
Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I gave mine to my daughter.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mike. That is a great idea.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I really like Mike's idea too!

My husband passed away so it was quite different for me-(He was not an A but rather the love of my life since 7th grade)
I took some of the diamonds out and replaced them with sapphires re-designed the entire ring and had earrings made out of the diamonds.

In your situation I like Mike's idea-but it is your choice to do what you feel!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I sold my ring set to the local pawn shop. I only got $600, which is kinda funny because they're appraised at $15K, but what the hey ... I needed the money. There are moments when I feel sad and actually miss the rings - they were gorgeous and had lots of "bling." But one thing is for sure - I wasn't taking them with me when I'm dead and gone!:mock
Old 11-20-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks to all of you for your ideas. i'll let you know what i end up doing. i hope you all have a good thanksgiving, and thanks for always being around, SR board.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Many years ago, I gave mine to a friend, she didn't want to take it. I said "if u don't take it I will throw it out", luckily she said ok. I live too far out in the country to get any were to do otherwise. To be quite honest, I don't think I was really rational at the time. I just wanted it gone, like he was. As much as I love emeralds I just couldn't stand the sight of it...... Good luck and hugs out to u~~