Thankyou Guys and Gals....

Old 06-04-2003, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Thankyou Guys and Gals....

I posted here a couple of days ago about my s/o and cigarettes. You guys helped me hold it together that day.

You might hear more from me at a later date...

Here's an update I posted in General Recovery...

-----------------
she's smoking 1/2 to one pack a day, down from 3 packs. She swears she can quit, but I am dubious. I'll have to have hard proof at this time

She's not a rattlesnake anymore and we're getting along quite well.

She's smoking outside when I'm in the room, which helps quite a bit and makes her cut down on smoking. So this is a very good thing.

She's only buying 1 carton of ciggies for this month... I suggested she buy 2, but she says that if she does that, she may as well resume smoking like she used to. She has a point. However, the place where she buys her cartons (Delaware) is so much cheaper than Maryland and I expect she'll be buying them in maryland before too long, grrrrrrrrr.

She starts non-smoking classes tonight... I'm hoping that they will help. Unfortunately, they are only 1 day a week. I wish they had smoker's anonymous around here but they don't.

She has the patch but they only stay on her for about an hour before falling off, so they are basically useless. She gets them free for the month from the health department but would have to pay $10 for an extra box, which wouldn't last long with the falling off thing. God that was a run on sentence!

She is still trying to quit for me.... I'm hoping she can quit for herself after awhile. At first, I quit drinking for her, but after awhile I quit drinking for me.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Misfit

Thanks Moot,

Cigs are the next thing I need to quit. Can't really believe I picked up this habit about 1 1/2 years ago, being both my parents died from cancer, but I have an addictive nature. This holds true for everything I do good and bad.

I was told about this herbal (chinese) liquid that after taken makes the person sick if he/she smokes. Have your heard of it? Can't seem to remember what it is called.

Best of luck -

God Bless
Old 06-04-2003, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Moot

Give her encouragement for trying, and remember that it often takes many tries before finally beating cigarette addiction. She is cutting down and taking classes - Good for her!!!!

And good for you for backing off her recovery.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Solo sez...
Can't really believe I picked up this habit about 1 1/2 years ago, being both my parents died from cancer, but I have an addictive nature
!!!!! I hate to say it, but that was nuts! How old are you? I tried a cigarette once and it gave me an unpleasant headrush (when I was done coughing) so I didn't pick up the habit. Good luck on quitting!

I was told about this herbal (chinese) liquid that after taken makes the person sick if he/she smokes. Have your heard of it? Can't seem to remember what it is called.
I don't think I coud get her to take something like that... it'd be like getting an alcoholic who doesn't want to quit to take antabuse!

Ann sez...
Give her encouragement for trying, and remember that it often takes many tries before finally beating cigarette addiction. She is cutting down and taking classes - Good for her!!!!
I am and I have been backing off of her for smoking. Its hard, but I remind myself that ciggies are more addictive than heroin! I keep thinking that I quit drinking (well, am in recovery), but I have to remind myself of the enormity of the monkey on her back!
Old 06-05-2003, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Misfit

!!!!! I hate to say it, but that was nuts! How old are you? I tried a cigarette once and it gave me an unpleasant headrush (when I was done coughing) so I didn't pick up the habit. Good luck on quitting!
DA! - I KNOW THAT NOW.......(grin) Knew it before too. Turned 41 a couple of weeks ago. Only other time I tried a cig was back when I was 16. Tried one, got sick and didn't touch another, at least till 1 1/2 years ago. Was majorally stressed one day and the town I was in was a dry county - no drink...try cigs - it only took one.......weird and stupid.

Well, off to a meeting

Take care,
Old 06-05-2003, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

My s.o went to her first smoking cessation class... they told her that it only takes 2 ciggies to get hooked. So, Solo, I'm not too surprised you got hooked!

She got all sorts of info, like Plutonium 210 is in cigarettes to make them burn faster. Plutonium 210 is what goes into making a nuclear bomb. And tons of more info.

She is still smoking, but she is realizing what she's doing. And at least she's smoking outside so I don't have to breathe that crap!
Old 06-05-2003, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Misfit

Late last week I went 3 days with out smoking - 1st and 2nd day was kind of hard and the third day, I wasn't even thinking about smoking until some offered and I accepted.........STUPID

Since my sobriety date - May 14th 2003 been offered some beers 5 times and said NO THANK YOU 5 times. I was really proud of myself - just need that same psychological brain change mentioned in the forwards of the BB, for cigs.

One day at a time - and one addiction @ a time........I guess.

God bless
Old 06-06-2003, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Late last week I went 3 days with out smoking - 1st and 2nd day was kind of hard and the third day, I wasn't even thinking about smoking until some offered and I accepted.........STUPID
Now THAT sucks!

Since my sobriety date - May 14th 2003 been offered some beers 5 times and said NO THANK YOU 5 times. I was really proud of myself
Congradulations! That IS good work!

I've been told that ciggies are worse addictioin wise than alcohol. I wonder what a BB for ciggies would look like, or if it would even work!