Call from a concerned friend of AW

Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DII

Call from a concerned friend of AW

I received a call a few minutes ago from a friend/workmate of my AW that says she has never seen her so down and that she knows she has lost everything after her DUI. She wants me to call her and make sure she's okay. AW is hysterical crying etc.....I don't know if she is a danger to herself? My gut tells me not to call her but I don't want anything bad to happen either.

Suggestions?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

Thats a tough one . I've been in the situation before . I didnt call .

Twice while I was talking to my ah on the phone, he was threatening to kill himself . When we hung up I called the police and they went to do a well check and took him to the hospital where he stayed for about 5 days each time .

I would only call if she were threatening suicide . That might sound harsh but I see no reason to keep jumping in . The only thing we end up doing is keeping them from hitting their bottom . She is exactly where she needs to be right now , she has to learn to crawl outta the ditch by herself . Thats just MHO.

Lots of luck to you ! (())s
Old 09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, you must be pretty powerful if one phone call from you will
-stop her from being hysterical
-stop her from being a danger to herself
-stop anything bad from happening to her
-make her okay

I wish I had that kind of power.

L
Old 09-24-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Every time I embarked on a rescue mission for Richard, the only person who ultimately needed to be rescued was me. Your wife will seek the appropriate kind of help when she's ready to receive it. Help from codependent partners is rarely what addicts need, appreciate, or find helpful.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If the friend is so concerned and worried, the friend can choose to check on your AW.

Its not easy maing the choices to stand by the limits we set for our behavior. It becomes a question of what would a call from you do for you? Drag you back into the drama and cuase you pain I'm sure. Anything more than that? Well, I have my doubts.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Every time I embarked on a rescue mission for Richard, the only person who ultimately needed to be rescued was me. Your wife will seek the appropriate kind of help when she's ready to receive it."

I could not have said it better. Could it be that "cries for help" can also be part of the A's game to control us?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

She is suppose to feel bad!

That's the whole idea of hitting bottom. It has got to hurt enough to make her want to stop drinking and change her behavior. Let her hit the rocks hard.... It may save her life!! You also have to be prepared to accept the fact that she might not stop and may even die from her addiction.

You take care of you and your kids. Only time will tell if she will beat the addiction.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Friends who have not walked in your shoes have nothing to offer as far as advice, understanding or council. Not that they aren't genuinely trying to help ... it's just that they don't get it. I found it frustrating to confide in others who looked at me like I had two heads.

paste from http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hlight=10+ways

2) Don’t rescue the alcoholic or addict. Let them experience the full consequence of there disease.
Unfortunately, it is extremely rare for anyone to be “loved” into recovery. Recovering people experience a “hitting bottom.” This implies an accumulation of negative consequences related to drinking or drug use which provides the necessary motivation and inspiration to initiate a recovery effort. It has been said that “truth” and “consequences” are the foundations of insight and this holds true for addiction. Rescuing addicted persons from there consequences only ensures that more consequences must occur before the need for recovery is realized.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Don’t rescue the alcoholic or addict. Let them experience the full consequence of there disease. Unfortunately, it is extremely rare for anyone to be “loved” into recovery."

TRUST ME, this is what I tried to do from 12/06 to 8/07 with my XABF. IT DID NOT WORK. All that happened was that I woke up one day saying "Wait! I'm handling all the money matters, making sure his houseboat is in working order and clean, and making sure he stays clean & groomed!" You know what he did? When I laid down the law about the drinking he disappeared without a trace and took up with a woman who WON'T tell him about his drinking.

I know that "rock bottom" is sometimes death, and that really makes me sad, especially when I think my XABF is definitely insane or irreversibly brain damaged or both. In the case of an insane person, do you still let them hit rock bottom or have them committed?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Yeah.. let it go.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DII

Thanks EVERYONE for your kind words and personal experience on this one! It helps having a "crew" I can lean on!

Thanks again!