New Addictions

Old 05-23-2003, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Addictions

Hope I am not out of place here, but here goes. I appreciate everyone's posts. Reminds me where I have been, with first and second husband. Awwww, memories.

His sponsor and I are not happy with my husband current choices.
Anyway, my sober alcoholic, over 1.5 years, has now picked up gambling. It is progressing nicely. He has now gotten into the grocery money without my permission.

I am so grateful that we haven't combined alot of finances and that I am self sufficient for the most part without him. But I really RESENT the fact, that I am running the whole household, while he gets his money to play. I was trying to tell him he needs GA. He said, no I don't. Wow. Even taking time off his work to go.

I had laid down the law, (I know) he has to move by July and if he gambles it is immediately out. Back into old behavior patterns for me. Same song, second verse. I feel so used. I have even loaned him money in the past.

We do nothing together anymore. Nothing, except eat supper.
I am realizing how alone I am, drunk or sober he still has "ism".

What the heck is the matter with me? No matter what the addiction, here I go to enable him.

Who knows what will happen in July? He might move out or he might stay. I am just realizing how powerless I am, over drugs, alcohol, gambling.

You guys just keep posting, because you give me support by telling your stories. Detach, detach, detach.

Love
Antreeta
Old 05-23-2003, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Antreeta

I am sorry for your pain. I have recently discovered that two very close friends of the family have serious gambling addictions. My girlfriend called to tell me about her husband as she just found out that their house that has been paid for long ago, is now mortgaged to the hilt....with her signature forged.

Another friend, whose husband has about a year clean time, recently wiped out the bank account leaving her virtually penniless. She is now living with her sister trying to start again.

It is a terrible disease and also affects the family members too.

Protect your money and valuables, and just keep working on you. Sadly, you can't change him.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ann for your support. This is only the beginning I feel.

Anyway, last night he went to an AA meeting and came back saying we were going to go the state capital and sign a paper which would make it illegal for him to gamble in our state.

AND we would work on a budget together. He has always let me handle expenses since he moved in with me when we got married. Most everything is in my name.

I am scared and angry. I don't and can't trust him. At least, not until I see that paper signed and he even stated that he could drive over to the next state and gamble. It is just over 2 hours.

I didn't get my hopes up like usual. I actually felt worse. It seems like another cycle starting. He still says he doesn't need GA. There is only one meeting here in town, the other ones are close to the state line. Ha.

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

the biggest gamble

Guess he doesn't realize what a big "gamble" he is currently taking with you and just how big the "stakes" are.

But, with you and with life, he'll eventually find out that he can't beat the house.............
Old 05-25-2003, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is cute, Eyes Open. LOL. I didn't even think of that. Sad, but funny. Thanks.