Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED)

Old 07-28-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ICU

Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED)

I came across the Dr. Phil schedule for the upcoming week and Wednesday's topic on 'Intermittent Explosive Disorder' (IED) got my attention.

I haven't heard about this disorder until today, so I'm just beginning to look into it. Here is a link that explains more about it from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermi...osive_disorder

And here's another one.....if you look under 'causes' it explains some things that really opened my eyes...

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...e_disorder.jsp

Not that I'm 'looking to take someone else's inventory, or remain stuck in past issues' but this kind of explains a lot about my ex....my brother....and, my Dad (hmmm...can anyone see a pattern amongst the men in my life?)! And perhaps it also explains why I'm so uncomfortable about expressing anger, and in the rare times I do, I beat myself up for it. It's much easier for me to hold it all in vs. risk being as out of control as they either were or still are.

Just thought the topic was interesting. After further reading, apparently substance abuse is 'not' related.

Last edited by ICU; 07-28-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ICU

Edit time from my original post expired....

In the second link provided above, under 'causes' here's something that spoke to me...

'According to Dr. Aaron Beck, a pioneer in the application of cognitive therapy to violence-prone individuals, most people diagnosed with IED believe that other people are basically hostile and untrustworthy, that physical force is the only way to obtain respect from others, and that life in general is a battlefield. Beck also identifies certain characteristic errors in thinking that go along with these beliefs:

1. Personalizing. The person interprets others' behavior as directed specifically against him.

2. Selective perception. The person notices only those features of situations or interactions that fit his negative view of the world rather than taking in all available information.

3. Misinterpreting the motives of others. The person tends to see neutral or even friendly behavior as either malicious or manipulative.

4. Denial. The person blames others for provoking his violence while denying or minimizing his own role in the fight or other outburst.

It's alarming just how much this fits my Dad, brother, and my ex to a 'T'. My ex would be the only exception since substance abuse is not a cause. But I can certainly see how having IED might tempt someone to want to self medicate though.

Will watch the Dr. Phil show later this week to see what his spin on this is.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nothing ever wrong with knowledge.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some people are alcoholics. Some people have other issues. Some people have both. Thanks for sharing this ICU, the more we know the better our lives will be

Mike
Old 07-28-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This falls under the DSM Impulse Control Disorder, which AH's therapist diagnosed him with. I agree, some people have both (co-morbidity).
Old 07-29-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One would have to remove the alcohol first to see if the EID is primary or secondary to etoh
Old 07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Is treatable~ my son takes generic prozac and it does the trick. Nothing mixes with alcohol though. 1st things 1st.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm outta here @ least for now

Its on today.. I will check it out! Thanks =)