My husband is fading away and I'm in agony

Old 08-25-2007, 05:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
Greetings, anxious - glad you're here with us. I'm glad you stopped with the pot. You need a clear mind and you gotta feel the pain. It can be the catalyst that gets you moving to healthier ground.

I will share a bit of my ESH with you. I am leaving my AH. I have no job. I am two courses shy of my bachelor's degree. I live in a dead-end little town in the middle of nowhere - jobs are as scarce as hen's teeth. I was born, raised, and lived in the greater Baltimore-Washington, D.C. metro area my entire life until two year's ago when AH moved us to a remote are of far southwest Arizona. (He pulled a "geographic" in order to protect his beloved addiction.)

With the approximately $2,300 I have to my name, by the grace of my God, I AM going to walk out of this nuthouse. If I live in a refrigerator box by the side of a road with my two cats, fine. See, when the pain of staying far exceeded the pain and consequences of leaving, I knew that was it.

So, I'll be asking my pastor tomorrow for help from any able-bodied men in my church to dump my stuff into a U-Haul, stick it in storage, and then I'll go pay another visit to my attorney. I finally got to the point that NOTHING was worth staying. Absolutely nothing.

I couldn't stand being a victim a minute longer, and if I remained with this man I'd be stuck in victimhood. His sobriety? Well, if he gets it, fine. If he doesn't, fine. Either way, enough was enough was enough for me.

P.S. - I used to drink too much just to tolerate AH. I went cold turkey on 4/29/07 and don't regret it one doggone bit. I feel the pain, I feel the frustration, and I don't attempt to numb any of it. And, frankly, I feel 100% better physically and emotionally.

I sure remember those trips to my storage locker while preparing to hit the highway.

Many others have done it before you and will after you. It is not easy but the result is much better than living in h.e.l.l............
Old 08-25-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousspouse View Post
Denny57, I started to read your story and saw in it, that emotional/romantic stuff that you now decry - you are right. What makes it so difficult is that as a sober man, he is fantastic, unmatched, all of those positive things - and the bones of sobriety that are thrown to me have kept me here.

But then, I take a good hard look at the reality around me: my house -shabby, full of crap everywhere -books, socks, papers, unpaid bills, dog toys; myself - shabby, unkempt, out of shape; our finances - a scary wreck; the fact we have no friends as a couple anymore; the fact that no one calls; the fact that he is drinking himself out of jobs, into trouble; the fact that I am under constant stress...

I can see clearly, now, that he is spiraling down the toilet, and I'm going right with him...

And I don't want to be that person. How do I get the strength to leave? How did any of you whom left, get the strength?"
Welcome back, anxious. I don't know where I got the strength - a gift from my higher power I believe. I had a moment of clarity where I saw what I was worth, what my life could be, and I vowed to get it back. I very much had a moment like you describe - saw my surroundings and situation for what they were, not what I painted them to be.

Something I am very grateful for is having learned to redefine what love means to me. I am grateful I seem to be coming out the other side of this with my belief in romance still alive; just not with someone who I need to mold into my romantic partner, rather, someone who already exists.

Three of the gifts I gave myself to help me get here: Al-Anon, therapy and education.

I hope what you decide brings you peace and serenity. You deserve it.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Late-bloomer dredging up the old thread

I thought I'd share what happened in the past 5 years, since I first came here; I never left the AH during that time and continued to prop him up in all ways.

Multiple bouts of sobriety/rehab followed by multiple relapses, no job, and a barely functioning AH. Several disappearances/suicidal-type actions. Coming home from work on a Friday to a suicide note and a missing AH; a frantic weekend of fear and uncertainty coupled with THE EPIPHANY - I can't fix this, he's sick, and it isn't personal. He spent 6 weeks in hospital/rehab, came out a changed man supposedly with a spiritual epiphany. Until he changed back...

I am proud to say that I finally mustered up the courage and strength to leave, and I am moving into my own place this weekend. I am going to work on ME. He may loathe himself, but I no longer loathe myself and am treating myself like I would at least treat a friend!

SOmeday I hope to regain my sense of humor (so I can add to that "Normies don't" thread) but for now I'm just going to put one foot in front of the other and slog through this muck.

Now- how do I change my username???
Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

nice to meet you.

I'm sure you have lots to teach us, long road.

Looking forward to getting to hear you story.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! And big hugs. The grass really is greener on this side -- although there's still watering and maintenance to be done.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If you are the one who is working, I am wondering why you "can't get out."
Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seek View Post
If you are the one who is working, I am wondering why you "can't get out."
Seek, read post #23. This is a thread from 2007 bumped up today by the original poster......

L
Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh WOW!!!! Sorry! PLEASE DO FIND A WAY TO CHANGE YOUR USER'S NAME, ASAP (yes, I am yelling because I am excited for you! Way to go!!!! Take good care of yourself . . .)
Old 09-06-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Go you!! If you really want to change your username, just pm one of the mods like MorningGlory, Anna, Dee, Hydrogirl, etc. I'm thinking anxiousspouse just doesn't apply to you, any more, and this is a very good thing.

I'm so happy that you are taking care of YOU!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-06-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Lord Have Mercy

Hello anxious:

Welcome back! It took me a second to realize the original thread was from 2007. What caught my eye was that smoking weed was part of your own journey as you dealt with AH. Then quitting, to try to get some clarity - his ups and downs, your ups and downs. I can relate. The only thing I figured out is whether I do or do not smoke does not affect whether she does or does not drink - and our mutually sober times, in hindsight, really are the highest quality memories.

As a guy who just moved out of a 17 year marriage in May, legally separated at this point, I am understanding about where you are at. Appreciate freedom, keep working on yourself and don't feel like you need to wait 5 years between posts...
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I hope you will share your ES&H with others here on SR....you might be able to save a soul or two.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello and Welcome Back!

Good luck with the move and enjoy the peace to follow.

Oh, and you can simply send me a PM with what you would like your new name to be!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks all. It has been so helpful to read this forum and so many wise posts. I hate to even post again under this "anxiousspouse" name! Geez!

It's an exciting time. I have some conflicting emotions sometimes, but today I'm working the reality, not the emotion! And some time ago I learned to stop dodging the pain and let it wash over me, instead, knowing that it will pass. And it always does.

I also stopped beating myself up for staying with him for so long. I was addicted to the periods of sobriety, which never lasted longer than a month or two. I'm happy to say that I am SO SO SO INTO breaking the pattern! And thanks to many of you, whose stories I've followed, and whose experiences and strength I've vicariously taken advantage of...
Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you! I could have written your original post back in 2007 and just like you I mustered up the strength to leave my XAH over a year ago. It's a new life and at times hard work, some sadness but endless possibilities. So glad you came back and please keep sharing.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

" I have some conflicting emotions sometimes, but today I'm working the reality, not the emotion! And some time ago I learned to stop dodging the pain and let it wash over me, instead, knowing that it will pass. And it always does."

WOW, NOTanxiousspouse, this is good solid insight and advice which I am sure was hard won.

"Working the reality, not the emotion" just says it all.

Hope you keep posting, and enjoy your new life! I am starting mine, and I am starting to see it as a welcome new beginning. We can all use your wisdom and encouragement. Make sure we know your new name, and it ought to be a doozy!

Thanks, and congratulations,

BothSidesNow
Old 09-07-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do hope you like your new name!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well done...

...well done.

Originally Posted by amooseoncebitmysister View Post
I thought I'd share what happened in the past 5 years, since I first came here; I never left the AH during that time and continued to prop him up in all ways.

Multiple bouts of sobriety/rehab followed by multiple relapses, no job, and a barely functioning AH. Several disappearances/suicidal-type actions. Coming home from work on a Friday to a suicide note and a missing AH; a frantic weekend of fear and uncertainty coupled with THE EPIPHANY - I can't fix this, he's sick, and it isn't personal. He spent 6 weeks in hospital/rehab, came out a changed man supposedly with a spiritual epiphany. Until he changed back...

I am proud to say that I finally mustered up the courage and strength to leave, and I am moving into my own place this weekend. I am going to work on ME. He may loathe himself, but I no longer loathe myself and am treating myself like I would at least treat a friend!

SOmeday I hope to regain my sense of humor (so I can add to that "Normies don't" thread) but for now I'm just going to put one foot in front of the other and slog through this muck.

Now- how do I change my username???
Old 09-08-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

OK ... now that I've straightened out in my head all the things I was confused about with this thread ... (!)

THAT IS AWESOME NEWS!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY DANCE
& finally
GO YOU!!!

amooseoncebitmysister ... you ROCK
Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi Amooseoncebitmysister, (we need to know how she got tangled up with a moose!)

Congrats... this is HUGE!!!!

Two things....

.... the adventures ahead will become the defining moments of your story! One step...one day at a time.... it gets better! really

nothing changes if nothing changes and YOU made a change!!!!

My ESH for you is recovery is the key... alanon, this website, counseling, read, read, read... take care of you every day.

Keep coming back and keep us posted by posting...