I need objective opinions re daughter and treatment center

Old 05-15-2003, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

I need objective opinions re daughter and treatment center

Hi guys,

Help, please. I'm not sure what is the right thing to do.

Daughter called today from treatment center crying. She's not supposed to get to call at all. She at first told me how unhappy she was and wanted to come home. Ok, I understand loneliness, adjusting, homesick. And if that was all that it was, I'd definitely keep my mouth shut. But she then proceeded to tell me how some caddy, mean girl in treatment with her proceeded to tell my daughter what is wrong with her. This was not in any kind of group setting. The girl had been talking about my daughter behind her back and laughing at her. My daughter asked her why she was laughing at her behind her back and the girl said, "Oh, I haven't been laughing at you behind your back, but I will tell you what I've been tripping on you about" and proceeded to cut her down.

Ok, that's it. I sent my daughter to this treatment center for treatment and support, NOT TO BE put down. Her self image and self esteem are already two of her huge problems and now she's going to be told by some mean girl just what all is wrong about her?

I asked my daughter if she had talked to her therapist about this. She said yes, she just had. The therapist asked who had done this. My daughter told her she didn't really want to tell her because that is not her style, to get others in trouble. She is not a trouble maker or tattle tale, but her feelings had been crushed (heck entering a treatment center is enough to make you unsure and insecure.) But she did finally tell the therapist who said the mean things to her. Then the therapist told my daughter that she could call me and talk 5 minutes. Well, in the 5 minutes I was trying so hard to calm her down that I didn't even get to ask what the therapist said she would do about it, if anything. I was and am ticked! It makes my blood boil to think I sent her there for help, support and to be made to feel she IS worth something and then some caddy, mean girl takes the liberty to put her down. I could save LOTS of $$$$$ and bring her home and have people around here put her down. Guess you can tell I'm a tad angry, huh?

Ok, breathe in, breathe out. I hung up phone and immediately called the therapist to find out what she was going to do about it and get her slant. Of course, I got the voicemail. She did return my call much later and I had already left for an appt I couldn't miss, so we never talked.

Now here is my question. I met the doctor who is assigned to my daughter. He is friends with the doctor where my daughter was in outpatient treatment, so this doctor is well aware of who we are and would want my daughter to be happy there since his good friend sent us to his treatment place. He gave me his business card and told me to call him if I ever felt the need. Do I call him tonight to let him know what has gone on? I feel like he will make sure this issue is addressed. My daughter is already feeling the normal miserable feeling that one would have their first week in treatment, but to add this on top of it, well, I just think someone needs to stop these cruel comments. Never, ever, EVER did I even think of something like this happening.

As my daughter was crying, telling me about it, she said, "Mama, wouldn't you think that people here would be nice? They're going through all this crap just like I am, and I have enough to deal with. Just why can't they be nice?" I felt so badly for her.

And I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW what some of you are thinking. "Just what did your daughter do to bring this on?"
I know that my daughter isn't perfect, but I also know that she isn't stupid either. She was scared going in there and there is no way she would go in with an attitude. She was feeling alone and the last thing she would want to do is make enemies. My daughter was the one in high school that everyone liked because she was nice to everyone....the poor kids, the minority kids, the kids who weren't accepted in the 'popular' crowd....my daughter was nice to them all and she was well liked.

So do I call the doctor? I want to know that some action will be taken. I'm not going to pay big bucks to have her at this place only for her self esteem and self image to be attacked.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hangin'

Take a deep breath and listen up (she says with love in her heart).

Breathe, buy an ice-cream, go to a meeting, call a friend and go for a walk, put on some music and sing at the top of your lungs, run down the street showing everyone your lovely new tiara....but back off - hands in the air...hands off the addict (in treatment).

This is HER program. Programs have run successfully long before she got there and will continue long after she leaves....and there are a$$holes everywhere, so learning to deal with them will help her in her recovery. If you and I ran away everytime we met one, we'd be marathon runners. Do not call her counsellor, do not call her doctor, do not interfere. Let them do what they do....treatment!!!

When she calls like that, just tell her you love her and that things will work out. Let her know you are proud of her and look forward to seeing her after her program. Do not give her an excuse to quit. She could handle herself using, she can handle herself now.

Pheww!! That was hard to be so upfront with you, because you know that I love you and care. But the sooner you let go, the sooner she can move on in her program.

Sending huge hugs and bigger prayers!!! Loveya Hangin'!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, Phone the Dr.....but first calm down., I mean really chill, cool off, breathe deep and slow.....set the emotions aside, you are gonig to discuss treatmment in a business manner. A nice civil professional conversatin about a concern you have. You will find out how these things are handled and what they expect from their patients.....I am sure that one of the paients has spoken rudely to another before. They will have a way to handle it.
Get that information first. Listen. Listen well.

If you have concerns, tell him that you are still uneasy and that youwould like to think it over overnight. May you call him and check back tomorrow????

live

In other words, get an assessment from them regarding it.
Then sleep on it....comeback here to see what others think and have experienced. And then you can call him back tomorrow.
No big decisins at the moment, better info and a plan.

live
Old 05-15-2003, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello Hangin' In,

You and your daughter are going to be fine. This is all part of growing and learning. You know my son is in treatment and of course being a guy I haven't heard of these sorts of problems. You also know my daughter was in a program for a year. She was with other girls and believe me that makes all the difference. Girls are so emotional. I bet the girl that said this has not been in the program very long. I'm sure there are a lot of raw emotions.

There were some caddy girls with my daughter too. They can handle it and once they get to know eachother they can even become friends.

Your daughter needs to handle this herself. She needs to know that you believe in her enough to let her handle it by herself. If mom always takes care of everything that doesn't help her self esteem. When she stands up to the situation and makes it work that will mean more to her than anything you can do.

I know it's hard to stand back while she is hurting but I do believe it's the best thing you can do for her.

We are always here for you. Take care of YOURSELF!

DMOM
Old 05-15-2003, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hugs to you Hangin'

Unfortunately, this is what rehab is all about. Think about it. A rehab/detox ward is full of people with a LOT of problems. There is bound to be a situation like your daughter encountered. And I know that hurts your heart as someone who loves her.
Part of going through rehabilitation is learning to deal with the hard things in life "on one's own". I know it's hard to let go of a situation like this, but your daughter will only regain her self-esteem when she learns how to handle situations like this herself. If her reaction to turmoil is to "call Mom" and see if Mom can fix it, she will never feel successful at dealing with these kind of situations in her own way.
Oh my, it's so very hard to push our chicks from the nest and let them fly free. She will be fine. Try telling her that you are confident that she can deal with these kinds of things herself. I think that would be a great self-esteem booster for her. Send her love and support and prayers. But just like Seeger in "Officer And A Gentleman"...she has to learn to walk that wall all by herself. She will do it and you will be proud of her. But not nearly as proud as she will be of herself.
Off to light a candle for you and your girl.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 05-15-2003, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Hi Hangin...

First, you're doing fine-you just don't know it yet.

Second, are we talking about an addict, or a cheerleader/prom queen/teachers pet???

I ask because us addicts have magical powers. It seems that when it suits our purpose we can instantly hide all the survival skills that we needed in our addiction and become helpless and needy and "I want my mommy".

Our cunning, social toughness, ability to size up situations, our entire survival instinct so necessary when using turns into straight-up Mommy manipulation.

One reason? No chemicals for false courage or instant self-esteem.

There are many others. But the person typing the posts is you, not your Daughter. So...

Unless you want to go through this again, and again, and again...

Hands Off the Addict.

She is responsible for being there and what she does while shes there. If she doesnt like the place, send her a phone card and she can call around and find another-and find a way to get there as well.

As long as you are involved in any part of this process, she does not have to take responsibility. Do you think for a minute that if she made all the arrangements, including financial, that you would have received that phone call?

Her recovery is hers, all hers.

Yours is about you.

Breathe. And again-H.O.T.A.

With love,

Jon
Old 05-16-2003, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hangin-in, Hi,

First of all sending laods of (((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))
and lots of (((((((((((((((((((LOVE))))))))))))))))))))))))

Ir really hurts us when our kids (grown up or not) are hurting, paricularly when they are coming off drugs and are vulnerable and afraid, We feel their pain and want to put a stop to it. I completely understand where you are coming from and empathise with how you must be feeling.

I would be tempted to ring the doctor, but not before repeating the serenity prayer over and over and taking a little time out to think about what would be best for my daughter. Would mum getting involved make things worse for her or better.

Feelings and emotions must be running high at the moment, the addicts feeling their feelings, emotions and their own pain and dealing with them without drugs is part of their recovery. Screaming, shouting, laughing, crying, anger, sadness are just a few of the emotions they have been suppressing with drugs, so your daughter God Bless her will be very sensitive at the moment, and this other girl sounds angry, resentful, and mean.

You take care of yourself Hangin, and let go and let god, until you know in your heart what the right thing is to do. Your daughter has come a long way and I will pray that she has the strength and courage to cope with this herself.

God Bless you both
Love Jewel

Old 05-16-2003, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Hangin In
what could i add to the loving advice from anns, live, gabe,jon, dmom and jewel ??
i know how much we want to shield them from the hurt,how dare they make fun of my child !! but that girl has problems of her own and what a good way to divert them by putting and getting attention on someone else. Pray for that girl, who knows they may end up friends in the end.
I think the hospital is going to handle this but for peace of mind call the dr. if it will help you.
Big Hugs
liddy

ps- sometimes i'm angry because i see my helplessness all over again, i then have to look it in the eye so i can move on to important things,like the things i can do something about-fixing me!
Old 05-16-2003, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey guys and gals,

I'm at work right now so time doesn't permit me to write my normal book. Hey, I heard that!!! "YIPPPPPEY!"

I read every word every one of you wrote and I am officially taking my hands off the addict. Now notice I didn't say I'm taking my hands off the PHONE!...

Ok, alright. I'm not calling. I'm letting it play out. My daughter should be able to call by Sunday and I'll just see then how she sounds. I'm praying for a VERY DIFFERENT sounding girl than I had yesterday.

P.S. I knew I was considered a serious case when the creator of this board, Joh, responded to my post. Lordy have mercy! As my daughter and I often say...."Some are sicker than others" and I'm looking pretty sick..lol

Thanks guys. I'm trying and with God's help and your's, I will remain sane.

Love ya'll.
Hangin' In
Old 05-16-2003, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hangin'

Just practice with the Jujubes in your mouth, and all you have to do is say "Uh Huh" "Uh Uh" and "Oh Oh". That should keep you out of trouble this week

Sending hugs because I am so proud of you for asking opinions, and then actually listening to them. You are a braver lady than me sometimes!!!
Old 05-16-2003, 03:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Hangin' In,

A wise woman once told me that recovery can be an emotional rollercoaster! Oh, I just remembered, You are the wise woman.

The good news is it's your time to ride. So hang on tight and I will keep you and daughter in my prayers!

DMOM:wink2:
Old 05-16-2003, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((((Hangin' In)))))) Big hugs and support from me! As a mom, I can only imagine how hard that must have been. But you did the absolute best thing by reaching out to the gang here and taking their loving advice.

Love and hugs to you and the kid.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((((((((Hangin in))))))))))

Just a thought: If I was to take bets, I'd bet everyone in that treatment center is cranky, irky, irritable and hard to get along with at one point in their treatment, at least, not to mention whiny, weepy and downright histerical.

Hang in there! You are doing fine!

Lyn
Old 05-16-2003, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Hangin In

I just got to read your post and I am sooooo happy you decided to think things out and let your daughter try and work things out her own way. Honetly, I have to agree, she will benefit from finding her own way, than turning to mom or dad. I was in a psychiatric ward about 20 years ago for anorexia. Although I'm sure things have changed, we went through the same scenarios as you have described. I remember calling my mom in tears over people making fun of me, people being mean, having to eat, etc. If my mom had not let me go to handle my fears and confrontations, I may not have made it where I am today.

Kudos to you for working your program. Stick to what you feel is right for your wellbeing. I'll pray for you and your daughter.

BJ
Old 05-17-2003, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh guys and gals, thanks for much for your love and concern over me and my daughter.

I'm just hangin' on by my fingernails here. "Brave" is not an adjective I'd use to describe myself. Believe me, I've looked for the table where mothers can resign but I've yet to find it, so I guess I'm in this for the long haul...

And I'm the type that wants all the help I can get. Never have been so prideful that I thought I knew it all. Heck, if I could I'd have ya'll all come live me with just so I could have your up close and personal support!...

And DMOM, I'm a merry go round kinda gal. Why, oh why, Lord have you chosen to place me on the rollercoaster? Reminds me of a time I rode the "scream machine" at Six Flags. A friend talked me into it (how stupid was I???). My eyes were shut tight the entire time and I promised the Lord if He EVER got me off of that ride that I'd wear a monkey on my head and go to Africa to be a missionary! Guess the Lord is wondering when I'm going to live up to my end of the bargain....

And Lyn, you mentioned cranky, irky, irritable and hard to get along with not to mention whiny, weepy and downright hysterical. Ok, Lyn, fess up. You've been peeping in my windows???? You've described me to a T!!!!!...

Thanks again, guys. Ya'll are such great support. Will keep you posted and please pray the next phone call I get will have a happier sounding girl on the other end.

Love ya'll,
Hangin' In