New to this

Old 05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
L4U
L4U

New to this

Hi everyone,

This is my first time here and I will share my story later as I am on lunch right now from work.

Quick question......how common is it for someone in rehad to get involved with another person, also in the same rehab? I know there are rules against it but has anyone experienced this with their significant other?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, l4u. yes, come back and tell us more about you when have a chance. i don't have any experience with relationships in rehab, but from what i've read around here - it is a very common situation. others will share with you soon, i'm sure. blessings, k
Old 05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.... Glad you found us...

Yep, it happened to me with my ex-abf... he got together with someone in the first Month of his program... saying that only the "fellowship" understands... I guess because there are some deep feelings shared and they are all scared together it can create this happening.... Kinda like people come together when a disaster hits... but from what I have seen/understand... it does not usually last.

Looking forward to your story and getting to know you!!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I don't know that it's all that common, and there are no "rules", only suggestions about waiting a year or until you've finished the 12 Steps, but my thoughts are that relationships come about in recovery from a need to be accepted by someone else. I didn't get involved with anyone else for almost two years, but if the opportunity had presented itself I probably would've had the desire in an effort to heal myself emotionally.

What I know now is that it would've been disastrous for me. In no way was I ready mentally or emotionally for a relationship, and even after two years of sobriety I still struggle with being close to someone else. Time and working a good program of recovery does heal the wounds, but it's slow progress.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome--please continue to share and tell us your story!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
prettyrainbow.jpg (29.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I can only change myself.

Anyone read this?

Sorry didn't mean to reply.