Sleeping a lot-withdrawal?

Old 04-29-2007, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping a lot-withdrawal?

About a week ago, I set boundaries with my husband. No more drinking around me and the kids, not in the house, and no coming home under the influence.
He has not (to the best of my knowledge) had anything to drink since that day, and he has been complaining of feeling poorly, and has been sleeping a LOT. Is this because he is going through withdrawals?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Actually, sleep is hard to come by during withdraw. He's probably past the the acute portion.

However, depending how much and how long, his body is prolly pretty badly mangled. Most likely malnourished and a severe vitamin deficiency especially, the B complex vitamins. If his liver is damaged, his body can't produce enough glucose, or metabolize vitamins.

I have 6 months, and I'm still healing physically. If I can, I take a short (1 hr) nap daily. I alternate between sleepiness and sleeplessness.

I guess I'm trying to say it can take a while, and booze really messes up your body.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My wife couldnt sleep for more than an hr or so for about a week or 2 when she stopped. She then started getting better sleep, but she was drinking behind my back as well!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Could he be on something else, like pills?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't say for sure, because we know how sneaky addicts can be, but I don't think he's on anything else. He has never been into pills, and has hardly left the house in the last couple weeks.
I had wondered that myself, though.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi..I was wondering if maybe your hubby was depressed. I know that my ABF who hasn't had a beer in almost a week is suffering terribly with depression. He is also suffering from lack of energy and he is sleeping a lot more than he did when he was drinking.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AS slept constantly when he was drinking--drank til he passed out--going thru recovery at home was an impossibilty--we tried it-but he was soooo sick-and he did have a seizure. He was wild until they medicated him at the detox with ativan a few times a day for a few days.He slept thru it.Once he hadn't been drinking for a week or so--no he did not sleep or eat!! Turns out there was also another factor in that.Once he started taking the Camphrol he was fine.(and he was a heavy heavy drinker)
I hate to have you try to quess if he is drinking or not--I still have those feelings myself.There has to be a sort of trust--he says he isn't soooo---you will know soon enough what the truth is one way or another--don't worry yourself sick over it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
animabeartag.gif (94.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-30-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lisa, yes, he is very depressed. Of course, he was depressed while drinking, too. I wish he would get some help for that, but it is his choice.
Sunflower, You're right, I am trying not to wonder about it too much. I think he is sober, because it is pretty easy for me to tell when he has been drinking, and there has been no yucky beer smell about him.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Royalty

My AH sleeps alot when he is trying to "control" how much he drinks. He has a few, then decides suddenly at 10pm on a Sat night, that it's bedtime. (He works second shift, and that's about 4-5 hours earlier than normal bedtime for us). Then he will sleep until noon the following day. (yes, thats 14 hours!) My daughter, the one with diabetes, also can sleep like that, and a real grouch to wake. AH will wake after those 14 hours, and it will seem like he has a hangover. I know it isn't possible, because he ran out of beer, and went to bed, instead of going to get more.....that's his way to control it...if he is sleeping, he can't be drinking...I suppose that's how he thinks.

Anyways, I think it might have something to do with my AHs blood glucose (sugar) levels. The liver has a lot to do with this function, so if it's not working properly, it can be dumping sugar into the blood stream, or not dumping enough, which in my own opinion, has something to do with sleep. It would also explain the grogginess once they finally awaken.....These are just my own opinions, I have no scientific evidence to back it up, it's just what I've observed of my AH and my Daughter. Add depression to that, and it's definately time to see the doc.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have seen this affect once in my life, and like stated above it was because of a bad liver. diabetes and liver failure due to alcohol was what killed him. I'd would maybe see if he would goto the doctors and get a checkup?

The liver can heal and diabetes isn't the end of the world "IF" you look after yourself. Sorry to scare you, but I thought it was something I should share. Good luck =)
Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with shawn--when my AS was recovering I made sure he had a full physical--blood work--chest xray--eye exam-had them check for HepC and HIV-(just to be safe)
A sick liver will do a lot to a person-but it can rejuvinate itself.
If he has depression even when not drinking and prior to this--he needs to get that treated asap as well--may be the reason he was drinking in the first place--self medicating..He needs a good psych evaluation,,,,,,best of Luck to you....
Attached Images
File Type: gif
scientists.gif (4.7 KB, 12 views)