Co-dependency: Anyone feel like sharing stories?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Co-dependency: Anyone feel like sharing stories?

Hello all! Long story short, I am a rapid cycler bi-polar, with OCD and my therapist just diagnosed me as codependent.

I had no idea what that even was but as I read the descriptions and low and behold, I can pretty much check off every box except one as far as the symptoms go.

I was told this is the right place to talk about this, please forgive me if I am intruding.

Unlike most of you here, I have never lived with an alchoholic. My only addiction is sleeping pills, because I can't shut my brain off.

However, my grandfather was a RAGING alchoholic that beat my grandma and my mother (and 3 siblings) until they pee'd themselves and bled every night.

My mother in turn, did not drink (thank god) but was abusive, physically, emotionally and verbally.

So there ya have it... can anyone relate? Maybe a similar story?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So sick of Love songs

You are not intruding!
You may have never lived with an alcoholic but it sounds like members of your family have been affected by alcoholism.
I too was addicted to sleeping pills not because they helped me sleep it was because they helped me forget (my rotten days) faster. To be honest now I sleep like a baby with out the use of any drug.
I think you are in the right place here. I am a codie too!
Keep posting.
SAGE
Old 04-04-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by un4gvn acts View Post
You are not intruding!
You may have never lived with an alcoholic but it sounds like members of your family have been affected by alcoholism.
I too was addicted to sleeping pills not because they helped me sleep it was because they helped me forget (my rotten days) faster. To be honest now I sleep like a baby with out the use of any drug.
I think you are in the right place here. I am a codie too!
Keep posting.
SAGE

Yeah, I take the pills for that reason too. I am in an "off" again mode with them. I haven't taken any in a week. When I do its usually just melatonin or Tylenol PM or Sleepy Time Tea.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ICU

Welcome to SR Justcrash.

Forgive me, for I don't know how I missed your thread.

Lots and lots of codies here, so no, you're certainly not intruding.

My parents didn't abuse alcohol, but rumor has it that my grandfather (someone I've never met) was an abusive alcoholic, much like you say your grandfather was. Like your mother, my father became abusive, both verbally and physically, emotionally, etc. So, yeah, sounds like we have some common ground here for sure.

There are stickies up at the top of the forum you might be interested in looking at with reference to codependency. I always like to suggest books on the same subject written by Melody Beattie. Her books, along with this forum, and other tools I have have helped me with my codependency.

Glad to have you join us. Keep coming back, ok?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 04-05-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your in the right place for sure..... Welcome to SR and I look forward to getting to know you!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
full of hope

From one codie to another...WELCOME!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ICU View Post
Welcome to SR Justcrash.

Forgive me, for I don't know how I missed your thread.

Lots and lots of codies here, so no, you're certainly not intruding.

My parents didn't abuse alcohol, but rumor has it that my grandfather (someone I've never met) was an abusive alcoholic, much like you say your grandfather was. Like your mother, my father became abusive, both verbally and physically, emotionally, etc. So, yeah, sounds like we have some common ground here for sure.

There are stickies up at the top of the forum you might be interested in looking at with reference to codependency. I always like to suggest books on the same subject written by Melody Beattie. Her books, along with this forum, and other tools I have have helped me with my codependency.

Glad to have you join us. Keep coming back, ok?

I plan on coming back, I like it here. I like being some place where people know what its like to think like I do.

I ordered one of her books last week, I hope I get it son.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chero View Post
From one codie to another...WELCOME!
Thank you!