aplastic anemia?

Old 02-04-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

aplastic anemia?

does anyone know if this could be caused by alcoholism?

i've googled it briefly, but i get so lost in google.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Check this link out. I looked at it quickly - it doesn't look like it is caused by drinking.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/apl...322/DSECTION=3
Old 02-04-2007, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

k----thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. I can easily see how long term drinking could cause aplastic anemia considering the livers involvement. Aplasitc anemia is one of the more rare forms. I would say that an alcoholic would first have pernicious anemia which has to do with the production and utilization of B12. Blood cells are produced in the bone marrow and alcohol is toxic to bone marrow. There is also folic acid anemia and iron anemia. There are many more but these three all have to do with synthesis effected by alcohol, especially over the long term.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

xh has been diagnosed with aplastic anemia.

he is on meds, but may have to have bone marrow transplant?

and said something about chemo?????

does any of this make sense? or is it his imagination?

my xbil told me. they have not had contact for many years.

xh called again and was sober. talked rationally, saying he needed to get his life straightened up and quick.

he said he had money....if he were to come here, would i rent to him?
said he needed to recouperate and take care of himself.

sounds like disaster for me.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

this is not my problem. this is not my problem. this is not my problem.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

where was he when i had to have two surgeries last year? and the year before when i had the heart thing going on? i took care of myself. he can do the same, right?

i need to get my codie genes altered. help me alter them.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sounds like disaster for me.
Smart lady.

Play it all the way through. It is not about what he did or did not do for you. It is about what you are going to do for yourself. What happens if he is living that close, does not pay his rent, you have to have contact, he is sick and "needs" you to take care of him????

Sweetie, they tell Alcoholic's not to go into slippery places.... For a Codie I would have to say this is a slippery place and we both know he is not stable.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yup. right.

he has always made sure he had booze, cigs, and shelter with a woman. he can do the same thing right now. let her nurse maid him.

i am happy with my life. i have peace. most of the time.....
Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oh, he's pulling out all the damn stops.

last night, suicide.

tonight, a serious disease. and love, love, love me to pieces.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How about suggesting a half way house, he would be with those that can be of help. I hurt for you.

Understanding HUGS
Old 02-04-2007, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

why, why, why do i keep listening to his voice????? ok, from here on out, i will not speak with him.

i was able to throw out his durn ole fish, throw out all his belongings, i can do this too. and i will. good grief....he's zoning in for the kill. and i'm right in the cross hairs. he sees i'm the weakest wildebeast of the herd on the african range.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes it makes sense, bone marrow transplant is recommended for sever cases. Bone marrow is were blood cells are produced. Red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets for clotting. Aplastic anemia means he's slowed or stopped making healthy cells. The fact that they recommend a bone marrow transplant imples it is sever. This is not a good thing.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

good lord almighty....i can see now that this has nothing to do with him.....it's about me at this point. i need to do some digging and find out why i am so addicted to this man.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

He loves the ability you have of taking good care of him is what he loves.

He is scared and what do we all do when we are scared.... we pull back to what we know is safe for us. That is all I see him doing, he is not so cockie and full of himself only because he is scared. The suicide ?? Manuplation and if you continue talking with him the will find the crack in your defenses hon.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well, great. just great. perfect stage for codie. sick person who know may have a fatal disease on top of the fatal disease of alcoholism. but i do not have to take care of this, right?

god, why do i feel like i should?
Old 02-04-2007, 06:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Do you really like pain that much????

Think about what your getting.... he is alcoholic and now has to stop drinking, not because he wants to but because it is now killing him.... so you get to deal with his "recovery" early stages.... withdrawls and dry drunk because we know he is not going to work a program.... THEN because that is not enough and you need to be kicked in the gut some more you can start planing his pitty party because he is soooooo sick. You get to run and fetch, cook and clean and of course pay for everything because he cant work. The you get to be his whipping dog too cuz he will be soooo frustrated that he is down from the surgerys.... and nothing you do will be enough.

Sounds like a hell of a honeymoon to me sweetie.... Go for it.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think he realizes exactly what his prognosis is. He pretty much as bone cancer. Sickle cell anemia is where the cells become abnormally shaped, they clump and clot. Most other anemias are correctable. Aplastic anemia is a bit diffreent. You stop making cells that help clot blood,no platelets, no clotting. He can not produce white blood cells to fight infection, red blood cells to carry iron and oxygen. If his case is severe, this is a whole new ballgame. Not only is it a very poor prognosis, it isn't prolonged. Bone marrow transplants can work but I assure you his drinking is done. Done.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How can his drinking be done? Because a doc tells him it needs to be? That doesn't mean much. Not being argumentative...just curious what you mean, Mallow.

Jeri, I'm sorry you're facing yet another challenge. I don't know what to say about your specific situation (his facing something this serious), but I found for me, I feel the best when he and I have no contact. In the name of "getting through the divorce process," we had started to talk somewhat. But then I managed to get roped back in his drama again. Suddenly he's calling me almost daily. Then a few nights ago at 1 in the morning, he called to tell me he kicked out his girlfriend (wonder if that's true, but not my problem) and asking, get this, if he can drive down to where I live now in the middle of the night to have sex with me. That reminded me yet again why no contact is best for me.

Take care of you. (((J)))
Old 02-04-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thanks all....i appreciate everyone so much.

i have to think about me. it feels unnatural to know that i cannot offer him any assistance except prayer. i would help my friends or family that were ill and needed help, but this is different.

and cynay....no, i do not like pain that much....i'm trying so desperately to not react to my instincts that have led me to where i am today. everytime i have a gut reaction, i find i have to really put the brakes on, and usually turn in the other direction. it is hard. i have had a lifetime of conditioning to bring me here.....i know it will be like this the rest of my life. i'm anxiously awaiting the day that i can trust my instincts again.

i'm sorry for whining around so much about him....i know it begins to sound like a dentists drill. it feels and sounds like that to me, too.

am trying so hard. the way gets really foggy at times.