My 3rd alanon meeting.....

Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking My 3rd alanon meeting.....

and how in gods name have I done without them? If anyone out there is considering Alanon......Go, go, go, go.........

I am so grateful to SR. You people suggested Alanon many times and finally I thought, What do I have to lose? so.... I went.
People, we are sooooooo not alone. There are other people out there, willing to share and to talk and to cry with and laugh with too. Do not hesitate to at least try, its honestly a gift. My first meeting I was hesitant, my second, I was curious, but tonight, I was relieved. Relieved to find true compassion and kindness. I was afraid I would cry, and you know what? I did....... and it was alright, I was safe, and it was o.k. to let myself, be who I am. My 15 year old daughter, went up and hugged an older man who's child was an addict, and he hugged her back, and they were both crying and it was so beautiful to see my child reach through her own pain (of her alcoholic father) to this other person, and want to hug him. I do believe, for perhaps the first time, we are on our journey to becoming healthy and to finding our own recovery. Thanks for listening and for sharing and for your suggesting Alanon to me, I am humbly grateful.

Sincerely, Diane
Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! I am so glad you gave it a try and your having a positive experience. I made some wonderful friends at my home Al-Anon meeting in Maryland. There are women I met through my meetings that I will never forget. I received love, acceptance, and felt I had truly found my place where it was okay to be me.

You go, girl!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Glad you found the meeting helpful. Thanks for sharing your positive experience. Hopefully it will encourage others who are a little hesitant to give it a try. Good to see you and your daughter seeking help and doing it together. She's lucky to have you.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Findmyself - thanks for sharing. What a touching experience with your daughter. I'm happy for both of you.

I love going to alanon meetings - in my area you can find an AA meeting at almost anytime close by. Unfortunately there are only a couple alanon meetings that are convenient with my schedule.

The first time I went, I immediately knew I belonged there. I didn't even speak but they could tell by my face I was new and scared to death.
They had a greeter that immediately brought me a newcomers packet with phone numbers. They welcomed me with open arms and hugs at the end of the meeting.

The day I left that first meeting I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing.....I have only been to 3 al-anon meetings, myself......I find it so amazing that I really don't have to "tell everything" about how I feel, and what has happened.....I can say something so small and sooooo many people understand where I am coming from.............