New here

Old 04-04-2003, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
theoldgreymare

New here

I found this site a couple days ago and thought I would give it a try. I tryed going to Al-anon meetings a couple years ago but Unlike most of the people there my situation is a little different and I couldn't relate to the well. My husband is a recovering alcoholic sober and drug free for 7 yrs. The thing is that I didn't know him when he was using. I deal with the frustrations of his addictive personality every day though. I grew up with an alcoholic father and I know that I have carried some of the anxieties and such into my marriage and that is what I have the hardest time with. I am hoping that i will beable to have better luck here than I did at the meetings. I look foward to talking with all those who are in simular positions. Thanks
Michelle

Old 04-04-2003, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Hi Ms. Mare and welcome!

I'm married to a recovering addict, who I've know both sober and using, and I'm also the child of an alcoholic father, so I can relate to what you're going through.

I have a lot of issues with insecurity, anxiety, rejection, and low self-esteem as a result of my childhood. These issues I have carried with me all my life, in and out of relationships. I only started realizing in the past couple of years that my childhood had such a tremendous affect on who I've become.

Both therapy and the al-anon program have helped me in dealing with these issues. I finally realized that no matter who I was with, I wasn't going to be truly happy until I started fixing what was wrong with me. It's a struggle and it's hard, but I'm making progress one day at a time.

I think you'll find that these boards can help you, b/c we're all learning to focus on ourselves and make our own lives better, no matter what our A's are doing. So keep coming back - we'd love to hear more from you!

Hugs,
JG
Old 04-04-2003, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Oldgraymare...

Always feel free to share here with us. After a couple of weeks with this crew, you will realize that you are not old and grey... you are distinguished and silver. Welcome to the forums!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 04-04-2003, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

LOL - And welcome from another "distinguished" member of this family. Glad to have you join us, and I know you will find lots of support here.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad you found this site! It is a blessing, trust me!

Hugs,

Lyn
Old 04-05-2003, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

wecome
and i would be grey haired too if it werent for hair dye!!!

my comment was just that i have found that many people in
alanon are adult children of alcoholics, most come into the
program because of a spouces drinking and discover their own
difficulties were there from childhood. I am also one of those people who grew up around heavy hitting drinkers and an
alcoholic father.My daughters drinking got me into the program.
I'm learning to take care of myself because i am powerless over alcoholism but not powerless over myself, i can do something
about that, so it keeps me coming back and also to these boards
we all need each other to make the program work !

God Bless you
and may i call you" youngsilver filly" ?!
liddy