Mums starting disulfiram pills...

Old 10-05-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mums starting disulfiram pills...

Hi,
After recent episodes catching my mum drinking and putting herself in dangerous situations (plus drinking before work again), me and my siblings have come together to try and make this come to an end once and for all.
Between coming home from work and finding my mum passed out on the couch two weeks ago surrounded in her own sick and cartons of wine. Or coming home from college and finding her blind drunk in the bath using her laptop I'm just constantly fearing for her life.
I've got to the point where I'm just angry and beginning to resent her, I've always been defensive of her and took her side regardless of what she done and who she hurt, constantly forgiving and doing her favours but I really am just sick of her. I'm 18 years old and I constantly have to worry about her and what state she'll be in when I get home plus worrying about her through out the day.

Now that I've grown up and have a better understanding of alcoholism and what happened in my family, it has made me realise this is not how I should be living my life and I deserve a bit more.

My siblings and I have been meeting up to discuss what's the next step, my oldest brother has made her an appointment for the doctor to hopefully get her put on "disulfiram" (I think that's the name for it). So that if she drinks she will immediately vomit and have effects of a hangover.
I'm skeptical because it's only me and my mum at home now and I'm not in a lot (college, work, ect) so there's no guarantee that she will take them. We've all agreed that we'll make sure she takes them in front of us but I just dont know if it's feasible.

My mums completely changed since my dad left her (6 years ago and has moved on) she still lives in the past and hates him. I still have a relationship with him and so do my brothers. My mums always been an alcoholic, my earliest memories of her is her drunk but it's only been recently in the past couple years it's been getting worse. More so recently where she's been going to work drunk again and being a complete idiot. She really is spiralling out of control and is pushing everyone away from her who tries to help her.
Even when my mum is sober she just sits in the living room avoiding me, when I try to talk to her she gets offended over nothing, if I've said something a certain way. She's been making really stupid decisions about things in life in general, it's as if she's just lost her common sense.

As for me, I've tried to just hide it from the world my entire life and get on with my life and studies but I'm really unhappy. I feel like I'm constantly putting a cheery face on for others around me but it's just a facade. I've always tried to keep this a secret in my family like everyone else but since my first post on here you guys have really helped me realise none of its my fault. You've introduced me to the three C's: "I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it." And you have all helped me realise that it's okay to talk about it and I'm not alone. I've been looking into counselling as I feel like I don't have anyone close who I can really talk to it about and how it has affected my life. Can't afford it right now so I'll just have to hope these pills work and things will start to change.
I just have to remember that there's always someone out there worse off than me and at least it's a step in the right direction.

Sorry this turned out so lengthy but I had to get it out. I'd just like to know if anyone else has tried these pills? Did it work for you?

Thank you in advance
Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I have taken Antabuse (disulferam) and it's very dangerous to take any amount of alcohol while it's in your system. I didn't vomit or become sick to my stomach but I turned red, numb, dizzy, chest pain and my heart raced. It stays in the system long after it's taken. I was alone so I couldn't get to an ER. It took hours to recover. The desire to drink can be so very strong and all rational common sense thinking doesn't exist. Please google more information about this drug.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
Yes I have taken Antabuse (disulferam) and it's very dangerous to take any amount of alcohol while it's in your system.
I wasn't aware of it being dangerous, I'm sure once she visits the doctor they will advise what's best for her. Given the length of time she has been drinking for I doubt they will prescribe her.

Thank you for the comment, I appreciate it