Step Three (For Christians In Recovery)

Old 03-24-2002, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Post Step Three (For Christians In Recovery)

STEP THREE

"Made a decision to turn our will and our lives
over to the care of God as we understand Him.

Step 3 culminates a process begun in Steps 1 and 2. In Step 1, we admitted our lives were out of control and that we were powerless to change things through our own power. In Step 2, we renounced every old god we had been worshiping as powerless to save us and looked to a Higher Power to restore us to wholeness. In Step 3, we recognize God as that Higher Power and ask Him to assume control over and care of every aspect of our lives.

A common recovery phrase used n Twelve Step groups is "Turn It Over." For the recovering person, that means turning over to God's care not only the major, conspicuous addictions like alcoholism. It means turning over every aspect of life, even the small frustrations involved in handling children to trying to make a faulty appliance work or dealing with congested freeway traffic. In the face of these irritations, the recovering person will say time and time again, "Turn it over; turn it over; turn it over."

A Step 3 recovery paradox is that codependent or addictive personalities are often quite willful and egocentric, and yet that egocentricity often camouflages a deep sense of insecurity. In A.A.'s oral tradition, an alcoholic or codependent is defined as being "an egomaniac with an inferiority complex." Step 3 invites us to get out of the center of our universe and hand that place back to God. As we move into any addiction or dependency, we tend to become more self-centered, self-absorbed, and self-preoccupied in trying to address the pain driving the addiction. Paradoxically, this self-preoccupation only draws us more deeply into the addiction. We become more self-centered and self-preoccupied as we seek to address the pain, yet self-preoccupation itself creates more pain, loneliness, and isolation. The addiction pulls us more deeply into its pain cycle. In order to surmount the pain cycle, ultimately we must step out of ourselves and look beyond ourselves.

Breaking out of this bondage of self does not mean we ignore or deny our needs. In fact, quite the reverse is true. If we can discover healthy, God-directed ways to meet our emotional and physical needs, then we become less needy, less selfish, less self-preoccupied individuals. This is another recovery paradox. Discovering what our needs are and asking to have those needs met may be one of the most unselfish things we do. All of us have needs, and all of us have choices as to how those needs are to be met. Addictions, compulsions, and codependencies are counterfeit means of trying to meet our most basic physical, emotional, and spiritual hungers. With God's help we can find genuine ways of satisfying them.

We want to turn ourselves over to God, but how? How do we get out of the driver's seat? The key is willingness. If we crack the door just a little bit, then God will direct us in the process. Revelation 3:20 says: "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

A.A.'s Third Step Prayer is an excellent way to formalize our commitment to this new willingness: "God, I offer myself to thee -- to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy power, Thy love, and Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always!" (Alcoholics Anonymous, p.63)

To help you understand what the Scriptures say about surrendering your will and life to God, see the following passages:

Matthew 11:28-30
Matthew 16:21-26
Ephesians 2:8-9
Psalm 3:5-6
Psalm 23
Psalm 91:1-4
Proverbs 3:5-6"

Source: "Serenity" "A Companion For Twelve Step Recovery"

We have provided a Bible search engine with multiple translations to assist you in your search.

Click here http://www.donet.com/~denf/search1.htm This Bible Search will open in its own window To return, simply close the window.
------------------
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace amid the storm

Den

[This message has been edited by Roven_Rev (edited April 28, 2002).]

Old 04-08-2002, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

September 8, Courage to Change.

Is there anything that stands in the way of my trusting in a Higher Power? What obstacles block me from turning over my will and my life to God? In my case, the answer is obvious: I want guarantess. I hold out, thinking that I'll come up with a new solution to my problems even though I've tried and failed, again and again. The risk of faith seems so great. If I turn a situation over, I won't be in control. I can't be sure I'll get my way.

Yet I want recovery. If I continue to do what I have always done, I will continue to get what I have always gotten. I want the benefits that this spiritual program has to offer. Therefore, I must take the risk and let go and let God.

Maybe faith will bring me the results I seek, maybe not. Although there are no guarantees, the benefits of building a strong relationship with a Higher Power can help me to grow confident, strong, and capable of coping with whatever comes to pass long after this particular crisis has been resolved.

-----TODAY'S REMINDER-----

Today I will make a contribution to my spiritual development. I will try to identify the obstacles that block my faith.

"Understanding is the reward of faith. Therefore, seek not to understand that thou mayest believe, but believe that thou mayest understand." ---Aurelius Augustinus

[This message has been edited by EyesWideOpen33 (edited April 08, 2002).]
Old 04-08-2002, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I humbly admit that I have struggled with this step; not because I do not believe in God, not because I do not think God is capable, not because I do not want the best that He has to offer. I struggle with this step because my pride is at stake. All my life I've been the STRONG ONE, the CAPABLE ONE, the ONE WHO GOT THE JOB DONE. If I let God lead me around, doesn't that mean I'm weak? Doesn't that mean I'm a failure? Doesn't that make me vulnerable?

Yes, I am weak. Yes I have failed, miserably, over and over again. BUT, what I have finally begun to realize is that in my weakest moments, when I have nowhere else to turn, that is when God and His power and love are revealed to me.

2Cor12:9-10 "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persections, in difficulties. For when I am weak then I am strong."

Am I vulnerable? Yes, I am vulnerable...and formidable and pliable and workable and usable for the Lord's will. The Lord wants us to be putty in His hands so that He can mold us, shape us, perfect us.

Isa 64:8 "Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

Jer 18:5-6 "Then the word of the LORD came to me, 'O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?' declares the LORD. 'Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.' "

Just for Today -- I surrender my will and become putty in the Master's hands. Only He knows what masterpiece He designed me to be.

Peace & Prayers,

EyesWideOpen

[This message has been edited by EyesWideOpen33 (edited April 08, 2002).]
Old 04-08-2002, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SentByGod

Hi ya all. New here, but not new to Christ.

Is this forum open to discussion? I see only moderators posting...whatsup?

Old 04-08-2002, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum SentByGod.

Yes, this is an open forum for discussion. This board is relatively new so we don't have a lot of dialogue going at the moment, but feel free to post whenever and wherever you like.

Peace & Prayers

EyesWideOpen
Old 04-09-2002, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

I remember years ago, when I was still "out there", my father would tell me. "Den, get with God, there you will find rest". I never will forget those words. In my active addiction, I knew, in the back of my head... God was the "guarantee". When I finally did surrender, I expected miracles. And miracles, I received. Abundantly...

One of my favorite Scriptures is Matthew 11:28-30; "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

The Serenity New Testament speaks to this Scripture: "Some of us have been bowed down with burdens of guilt, shame, bitterness, fear, and discouragement since childhood. We are tired of trying to stand, let alone walk under such a heavy load. As we allow God's healing love to infuse our lives, for the first time we may experience true rest. Yet, just when we have first come to know rest, Jesus tells us to take His yoke upon us and learn from Him. Why? In biblical times, a farmer would yoke a young ox with an older, capable ox so that the young one could learn to plow correctly. Jesus is saying we longer have to try to pull the plow by ourselves. He will be in the yoke with us; and we will be His disciples, learning from Him. As we walk with Him, the burden of His yoke of discipleship upon our necks will be light indeed compared with the painful burdens we tried to carry befor we laid them at His feet."

The Serenity readings then direct us to Matthew 16:21-26:

"From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life. 22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. "Never, Lord!" he said. "This shall never happen to you!" 23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

The commentary for this is: "The process of recovery involves several important paradoxes. One is that we must give up in order to win. Jesus voices this central paradox when He says, "For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. v(25) Yielding our human will is not an easy matter. Often, from our limited human perspective, we may even question and challenge the wisdom of God's apparent will for us. Jesus' trusted disciple Peter implored his Lord to avoid the fate of persecution and death. Jesus sternly rebuked Peter, reminding him that he was "not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men" (v.23)

Spiritual growth demands that we give our lives to God without reservation or restraint. Recovery literature exhorts us in this commitment with the following familiar words: "Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point. We asked His protection and care with complete abandon" (Alcoholics Anonymous, p 59)."

After years of "doing what I wanted to do", regardless of how it was hurting those around me, I came to a point that I believed that I could never have a normal life. I had crossed the line. It was too late for me. I blew it. Afterall, drugs, adultry, prison, etc. So I just stayed loaded, a vagabond. That is when my father said to me: Den get with God, you will find rest." One day, I followed my fathers counsel, as a result, I have experienced the rest that Jesus talks of in Matthew 11:28. In Matthew 16:21-26 I began to understand that in order to win, I had to lose, I had to give up.

God has given me my life back. He has given me a purpose in this life. I no longer wonder like a vagabond. Lost. Not every day is rosey. But I have learned that as God molds me, he allows me to make choices. If I am listening for His voice and if I am yoked to Him, He teaches me through the trials and tribluations that cross my path. I look at them today as the Lord taking me to higher ground, with as much patience and perserverience as I am able to muster. Sometimes I fall short.. Sometimes, I grow through the pain. I am on a journey, one day at a time.

I am somewhat saddened today. A friend of mine who owns several properties here had a tenant commint suicide two weeks ago. She was in her early twenties. Yesterday morning, another tenant, stabbed his roomate in the chest and died. This individual who committed the murder, just got out of prison after serving twenty years for another murder. He was trying to get his life togther. He was going to give a talk at a community center on "The Aftermath of Murder" on April 20. But he got back into drugs. While clearing his personal effects out of the apartment, several baggies with pot were found. Today he sits in a jail cell. He will probably die in prison. I pray, someday, he finds rest for his soul.

The other day, Clancy talked of how important this step is to her. I miss her and pray for her, and I pray she doesn't give up on us. I understand what she means when she says how she struggels with this step. How she is confused. Clancy, if you are out there, Know this, there is a place of quiet rest, near to the Heart of God, as I understand Him..May you and others find Him.

Just For Today... I have found rest. Just For Today... I understand if I want to win, I have to lose.

Den

Expect Miralces!

[This message has been edited by Roven_Rev (edited April 09, 2002).]

Old 04-09-2002, 07:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Den:

Thank you so much for those words. They are so encouraging...it is possible to surrender and LIVE...anything is possible with God.

I'm sorry to hear of the stories of those two people. Prayers for the families and peace for that man who is facing more years of prison.

Morning Glory:

I'm glad those words spoke to you. They've been speaking to me in bits and pieces all week. I've been wanting to add to this 3rd step message since Den posted it, but I could not put it together in my mind. So I waited. Last night the words just poured out and the light bulb finally turned on in my head...

Do you have a copy of the Courage to Change book? If you don't, I recommend it. I read the book every day. There is always a thought, a viewpoint, a lesson in there that "speaks to me". It always prompts me to get out my bible and read related scriptures.

Just for today...I am grateful for my struggles with the step work because it causes me to stretch the boundaries of my mind and heart.

Peace & Prayers,

EyesWideOpen

[This message has been edited by EyesWideOpen33 (edited April 09, 2002).]
Old 04-09-2002, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

March 9 - Courage to Change

I often struggle to know what is my will and what is God's. I feel serenity slipping from me while a war is waged within my mind and loud voices urge met to take one path or another.

Doubt is an unavoidable companion of spiritual seeking. I don't have an instruction book, so I must continue to explore and challenge my perceptions. I know that when I feel a desperate urge to act, it is usually my will that is pushing, and when I feel a calm certainty, it is usually God's. But much of the time, I don't have a clear indication. What then? Sometimes I wait for clarity or try to listen more closely for guidance; I may share my confusion and ask for the wisdom of others; or I may just make a choice, take an action and see what happens. More will be revealed when the time is right, no matter what choice I make. Since I have turned my will and my life over to God, any choice I make can be used to carry out His will.

-----TODAY'S REMINDER-----

Today I will remember that uncertainty is not a fault but an opportunity. Everything I do and everything that crosses my path--people, situations, ideas--all have the potential to contribute to my growth and understanding. Just for today, I don't have to know what the contribution will be.

"There lives more faith in honest doubt, Believe me, than in half the creeds."
----Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Peace & Prayers,

EyesWideOpen
Old 04-28-2002, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Bringing to the top for the newcomer

Old 04-28-2002, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Angry

Dear Morning Glory,

May 3, I will celebrate my nineteenth year of sobriety. Through my journey I have found it more, more easier to turn everything over to my Saviour.

BUT, in visiting the Alanon board, I am having to face (which I need to do)areas of anger with the "X." I was really brutalized. As an A, I think I just accepted what had happened to me, but I don't think I have forgiven him. It bothers me...I would like to beat the crap out of him and we have been divorced nineteen years! Can't seem to turn this one over.

Women of my generation kept our abuses secret and we had no place physically to go!

Hugs, Pickle