Avoiding A Relapse

Old 04-30-2002, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Post Avoiding A Relapse

April 30

Avoiding Slips

“When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes throug arid places seeking rest and does not find it.”
Matthew 12:43

Suddenly, miraculously, the need and desire to use was abated, to the extent that we didn’t have to do it any more.
We were left with empty places in our lives.
We also discovered that the “unclean spirits” (as we can easily call them) do not leave without a struggle, nor are they willing to be displaced beings.
Now our greatest danger is taht we will neglect our program, passing lightly over the need to have empty places
filled.
Now we must be spiritually filled with the mercies of God, leaving no room for further possessions by those forces beyond our control.
Now we must avoid slips, at all cost.

Am I setting myself up for a slip? Am I taking good care of my sobriety?

God grant that all of my empty places may be filled with God.

Slips don’t just happen. We make room for them to happen.

by: Paul F. Keller
----------------------

God Bless you as your journey continues today.

Den

Old 04-30-2002, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Dear Den,

Thank you for both your postings this morning. They humble me.

There is a story that has been told for years in Southern California meetings. A woman, we will call her Jane, was to celebrate her 22nd year of sobriety. The cake was baked and she anticipated her celebration at her home meeting. It was 10:00 AM...she drank....4:30 PM she was dead.This is a true story. None of us will ever know what changed her thinking. This disease continues on in our bodies even as we abstain. There is much more to consider, in our recovery, than just abstaining. Staying close to God and other winners.

Most AA's become restless as their sobriety date gets closer. This is a time not to reward ourselves, but to remember where we came from and our last drunk. The morning embrace of the toilet...What did I do last night?.....Passing out at the table!....Insulting the boss' wife!..Missing work....it goes on and on. This is a time to be humble.

Alcoholism is a sickness of the soul. That unclean spirit does not give up without a hellva fight. Just remember we are never alone!

Thank you, Den

Love, Pickle

Old 04-30-2002, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Pickle,

Here is a meditation I have posted on my wall. I have a copy in my Bible also. I read and meditate on it daily. Been doing it for coming up on thirteen years. I understand you are about to celebrate you 19th,

Hope it helps.

Understanding My Addiction

Matthew 12:43:45; Luke 11:24-26; Related Scripture: 1 Peter 5:8; 2 Peter 2:20-22

"When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, `I will return to the
house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits
more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with
this wicked generation."

I must make no mistake about this.There is no end to addiction, only an end to its practice.While it may seem that all is
done and over,because I do not sense the craving any longer, the addiction,with all its reaction formations, is prowling,
lurking, ready to exert itself again.Cunning, baffling, and powerful describes alcohol and other drugs. Like the evil spirit
that says, "I will return to the house that I left."

A Look At Myself

"Am I overconfident about myself?" Do I understand the power of my addiction

My Thought

Ridding my life of the drug is the first step. I must also take the second step: filling my life with God’s Word and the Holy
Spirit. I am an easy target for Satan if I am inactive and my house is not filled

My Daily Prayer

"Father, In the name of Jesus, grant that I may not be complacent about my recovery. Grant that my house
is full of Your Word, one day at a time."

May God Bless you as your journey continues.

Den

Old 04-30-2002, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Den,

WOW, did I get a witness to this! I've printed this out.

It looks like He is about to put me in the front lines again. I expect a door to open.

Love, Pickle
Old 04-30-2002, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Roven_Rev

Hi Again Pickle,

(God Willing) We will be staying on this topic for the next few days. On May 3, I will post a story very close to the one you shared about the woman with 22 years. My guy had 25.

God Bless

Den