Notices

I've been asked to share my story

Old 03-07-2006, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I've been asked to share my story

We have a program here in the county where I live for people with alcohol/drug problems. All have been arrested for drugs or alcohol and are just getting out of jail or prison. They have a choice, do the program and graduate, or do more jail time. Many of these people have nothing. No job, car, drivers license, some are even homeless. We all know how hopeless things can seem when we are just getting clean. Dealing with cravings, looking for work, getting doors slammed in your face, etc. They want me to come share my story Thursday night. A lot of the people in this program have no desire to get clean. They just dont wanna stay in jail. Others dont have much hope they can get clean and stay clean. Hopefully I can inspire a few. Also, another cool thing is my GF's daughter is doing a project for school. It's about people overcoming obstacles in life. Guess who she chose for her project? She wants to do an interview with me about how I got clean, how I stay clean, and how I turned my life around. I'm totally flattered and also very grateful to have this opportunity to give another addict hope and show them that recovery is possible. What an honor.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
... very grateful to have this opportunity to give another addict hope and show them that recovery is possible. What an honor.
Keep on walking that right road, Mike. Trust god, clean house and help others.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

... Hopefully I can inspire a few.
No doubt you will, Mike! Look how inspirational you are here at SR. You've definitely inspired me, many times, to keep working my program and to stay the course. I know you'll do great!
... She wants to do an interview with me about how I got clean, how I stay clean, and how I turned my life around.
That IS an honor, isn't it! That's awesome! Just goes to show how proud your GF and GF's daughter are of you. They see you living life as a patient, kind and loving man. Be proud of yourself, Mike. I know I am (of you).

I'll be thinking about you Thursday night, and saying a prayer for you to deliver your HP's message of recovery, and your message of experience, strength and hope. Please post afterwards and let us know how it went, k?

Love ya!

Kelly
Old 03-07-2006, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((((Mike)))))

That is so great. Good for you!

I cannot wait until the day that I am asked to share my story. It will be a while, but I ll make it!

Prayers and thoughts for you!

xoxoxoxo

Ang
Old 03-07-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Mike,
That is so positive. Having the chance to give an active addict or alcoholic a glimmer of hope is great, and sharing your story with a young person who knows??? You may just provide information that stops someone from taking the wrong road.
Congratulations!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mike,
I am so happy for you! This is a really great opportunity for you and for the people you share your story with. You are a true inspiration and a great example that it works if we work it!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I bite.

That is pretty cool Mike. Although I can see that speaking to a captive audience may be a bit tough to do.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 03-07-2006, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Still not exactly sure what I will say, but I'm sure it will come to me. I'm looking forward to this. I'll let ya'll know how it went.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Pray, Trust God, speak from your heart, share what you know.

You will do awsome.

As you share with the group, remember that your words today may help another a year from now, if not today. Your results are the effort or if you would rather say... the joy of sharing. I know you will plant many seeds of thought into each one of them by just being you.

Sure would be nice being there and listen to you.
Maybe some day.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thursday night. 6 PM. Funny part is, I'm not even nervous.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Thursday night. 6 PM. Funny part is, I'm not even nervous.
Because the passion and love in your heart, you won't be nervous either.
You live the results of what another shared in the past and that passion alone will have you doing great and not allow you to get nervous.
I would like to say that I am proud of you Mike. Way to go.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Best.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's great Mike! When you share your experience, when you talk the programme, someone, somewhere will always be positively touched.

What a fantastic way to practise Step 12!

Love Jo
Old 03-08-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Mike that is really good news I am proud of you for hanging in there. Your recovery speaks Volumes and I think that you know that.

Love Vic
Old 03-08-2006, 03:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Jo, and Vic. I appreciate that.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

You will do fine job speaking from the heart and soul.

Enjoy the honor that has been bestowed on you by the GF's daughter.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Plano. I went down there and shared my story with 15 or 20 addicts last night. I spoke for 40 minutes or so. It was pretty cool because I didnt know what to expect. In an NA meeting I have no problem sharing. None of these guys were here by choice, so maybe not all of them want recovery. They all listened very closely. I could tell they could relate to where I had been and where drugs and alcohol took me. I shared how I finally hit my bottom, how I knew I was done, and how I finally surrendered and jumped into recovery with both feet. I spoke about Narcotics Anonymous and what my life was like today. When I was done they all clapped. Then one by one they came up to me shook my hand and thanked me. It was really cool and a very good feeling. One guy came up and asked anout NA. He said he had never been to NA and was wondering when they had meeting and where. I told him there was one in 30 minutes and invited him to tag along. I was originaly planning on going home because dinner was waiting on my. I drove they guy to a meeting, intoduced him to everyone then was asked to share the meeting so I did. Afterwards I bought the guy a Basic Text gave him a meeting schedule and gave him a ride home. It was a good night. I would like to thank everyone who replied here and gave me encouragement.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Mike)))
I'm sorry I missed this thread until just now....but, boy, I'll bet you just WOW'd them with your experience, strength and hope!
And how cool that the guy came with you to a meeting. So, dinner was cold. You may have saved this guy's life! And the whole thing was very generous of you, not to mention buying the guy the BB too!

I understand how proud you are about your g/f daughter wanting to interview you. What an important lesson she's learning, huh?

Mike, you are just tooooo cool!!!! And I am honored to call you friend!

Shalom!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Debbie, the feeling is mutual.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Mike, you are so amazing, my NA brother! I am so extremely proud of you! I've got tears in my eyes and my heart just melted when I read how awesome you did sharing your ESH, and then how you honored NA's message of recovery by giving back what was so freely given to you, by taking that man to a meeting and buying him a basic text. Well done, Mike!

*Geez, I just can't put how happy I am for you into words. I'm so damned proud of you!

Love, Kelly