Notices

Need advice, have been in the hospital

Old 01-23-2006, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice, have been in the hospital

Hi everyone,

I need advice about taking pain pills. I know your first instinct is to say "Don't take them!"

I recently got out of the hospital where I had major back surgery. The pain is severe. The doctor wanted to give me percocet, but I told him my history and he gave me Tylenol with codeine. He also said that I NEEDED the pain killers, and I would have to agree with him. I take no more than 3 or 4 a day, when I could take 6. Without them, I am in agony. I remember an AAer once saying that at some time a person might have to take pain pills, such as under my circumstances. I do not get high.

I have been clean and sober for almost 13 years, and I feel that I can handle this;but, I would like any input or advice from you guys. When I was using, I would think nothing of taking 6 percocets at a time so this is not the same. I also have no desire to pick up the even stronger drugs I was doing.

What do you think?
Thanks.
Carol
Old 01-23-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

carolm, I am telling you if you can do it without the percs DO IT. I was clean for 8 years and went in for a root canal. The pain was bad but I could have done without the vicodin but I didn't. I took the pills and the rush of great feelings all came back. I absolutely was out of control for the next year. I spent a lot of money that I didn't have and hurt a lot of things in my life because of it. DO NOT TRUST YOURSELF!!! STAY AWAY FROM THEM. You cannot handle it no matter what you think. I really thought I could handle it this time because it had been so long and I was much older and wiser. NOT TRUE.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Carol,,

I am sorry to hear of your back surgery. I knwo that canbe very painful.

Have you talked to the doctor about giving you a different med other than a
pain killer? Like an alternative? You could always call your pharmacy, and talk to the pharmacist, and tell him you are an addict, ( your DOC is pain killers) and that
you had the surgery, and you are wondering if he/she knows of any alternative to pain killers, that will help kill the pain?

I have heard that the 800 mgs of ibuprofen work very well. I don't know, it's hard for any of us to even go there, because we dont' really know what kind of pain you are going through. Only you really know. It also depends on what lengths you are willing to go, to check and see if there really is soemthing else that can possibly work??

I am just wondering, since you are posting this question to us, is it possible that deep down, you already really have a feeling on taking these, and maybe you think there is soemthing else you could be doing? I don't know, just a question...

No matter what,, besure you stop taking them, while you are still in a little pain, and switch to a milder med. That is for sure key..

Love and prayers
Becky
Old 01-23-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks very scared and angel girl.

I am on 800mg of ibuprofen with the pain killers. I feel pretty stable about this since I'm not abusing the drugs, but it's still good to hear advice from my friends here.

Carol
Old 01-23-2006, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Hi, Carol. I will pray you have a speedy recovery? As someone whose had back problems all my life, I truly feel for you (I'm on my heating pad right now).

I was told the same thing when I crushed my leg....that I needed to keep the pain at a manageable level. The doctor who told me that was in recovery himself, and his feeling on it was either he could help me to control the pain or let me to control it on my own. The difference between you and I is that I was only three months clean and sober at the time. In hearing from others in AA & NA, I know that time is not a prevention against relapse.

Here's what I did: I had two people who were non-addicts and who would not give me more than the prescribed dose, even if I begged. I gave them my medication, and I was given it when I needed it. At night, I was given enough to make it through till morning. At three months, and on only percocet with a leg full of metal and neurological complications making the nights agony, I could have taken the full night dose at once, but luckily, I had a sponsor who drilled one of the tools of the program into my head. She taught me to pray through those urges. She taught me to be grateful that my lower leg was still attached to my body (a grateful heart won't drink or use, and I believe it). She taught me that in times of trouble, it was all the more important that I rely on my HP and the steps and the fellowship. While I was still in the hospital, I burned up about 1800 minutes on a phone card talking to folks in the program!

You inspire me that, at thirteen years sober, you're still reaching out for help. I'm a relative newcomer, and sometimes, I get to thinking I know all I need to know to make it through tough spots. You're a good role model for those of us who forget that being teachable is one of the most important tools in our spiritual bag.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-24-2006, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks sugah,

I am able to take only the perscribed amount or less of the pain killers. That has to be because I've been clean for so long.

I appreciate you sharing your story with me. I will pray for you, also.

Carol
Old 01-24-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I have serious migraines. Without any painkiller, I get suicidal. Yes, they get that bad. I have someone who is not an addict watch my meds and they are kind enough to also watch my behavior. Its kept me in line and in recovery.

I know without anything I wouldn't be walking or talking. I doubt I'd be here to post.

I'm also glad you were upfront with your doctor. I think that is so important. Praying for your recovery from surgery.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alera,

Thank you so much for sharing. I don't have anyone watch my meds, but so far I haven't been tempted to take 5 instead of 1. If I did that, I would run out and would not be able to get another script.

Back when I was using, I had 3 doctors who wrote out scripts. The pharmacy computers were not all networked. Then, of course, I had 2 people I could buy them from. They are not around anymore.

I think I'm ok. I just need to have people like you to help me through this.

Thanks again,
Carol
Old 01-24-2006, 09:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would like to thank everyone who replied to this thread. Sugah, I am honored that you think I am a role model. Even being sober almost 13 years, I still have the urges. I just don't act upon them. I don't see the people I hung around with back them, and my husband and I have finally brought a good relationship back to our marriage. I have a beautiful adult daughter whom I am very proud of and I love her immeasurably. Is my life great? No, but it is good. I know some people feel that great is a must for life, but I am satisfied with good. Good is so much better that what my life was like when I was using.

I'm still on the pain killers and am doing ok.

Thank you all again.
Carol
Old 01-25-2006, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Carol, you have remained in my prayers. I have a very good friend in recovery who is going through something similar. She's so afraid that if the fellowship at large finds that she's taking pain meds, rumors of a relapse will start, but she is talking to a few of us women so that she is accountable and has support.

I agree that life can't always be great, and I also agree that, compared to the life I lived before, I'll take this anyday!

Snowing & blowing here in Western Pennsylvania. Hope you are staying warm up in New England!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-25-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Sugah,

It's not too warm here in NE, but I am house-bound and my house is cosy. You are right. Any day being sober is better than any day I was using. I have to keep reminding myself of that.

You are also in my prayers.
Carol
Old 01-26-2006, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think that is an excellent idea to give your meds to a responsible person who will only give you what you need instead of what you want. That is a great idea if I ever am in a similar situation. I love this website.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I truly do love this website, too.

Carol
Old 01-26-2006, 10:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

good luck with everything. I would suggest to talk to your doctor and pharm and explain your situation. try to use the most less amount of pian killers that u can. I am not a doctor so I really dont to suggest anything. however I do have a history with pain killers. good luck and let use know what is working out for u.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Depending on how many days you need to be on the painkiller and if insurance covers it, another option is to have the doctor prescribe a single day supply with refills for each day you need it. Have him write on the prescription 'can only fill 1xday' and pick it up or have it delivered daily.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks PillAddict, BDJ, and Alera.

Your suggestion is a good one, Alera. By now I should be coming off the pills. The problem is the doctor had to scrape the growth from nerves that it was growing out of. The thought of that makes me cringe. And, of course, being a proud doctor, he had to go into details about that, including pictures!

I'm still doing ok. Thank you all.

Carol
Old 01-27-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If you feel that you can handle it i am with that Carol. Do whatever you need to do to get through. Warmest wishes Evanna.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((Carol)))