Notices

Question

Old 01-19-2006, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

I deal with chronic pain. I am addicted to narcotic pain medications. Yet, I still have a lot of pain. I will be seeing my doctor either tomorrow or Friday.I need my blood check to see if my thryoid medication is working. Anyway, are there non-narcotic pain medications that can be use for chronic pain. I am not talkiing prescritiption strength tynehol or alieve. I have used those and they don't do nothing for the pain. However, i know that I really need to see about using something besides the narcotic pain meds...I would like to be prepare before I see my doctor. Any advice.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
help123

I am sorry, I don't have any advice about that. I am in the same boat as you! I have a brittle bone disease and started on tyenol and ended up on hydos, or taking oxy on the street. Now I am on methadone cuz that was the safest for my baby when I was pregnant. Anyways, if you do figure out something, please let me know, I want to get off this! Also, welcome to SR!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

klouise...

I don't know what type of chronic pain you deal with, so I don't know how helpful my words will be.

When I got clean in October, 2002, I was wheelchair bound suffering from RSD, FMS, arthritis, and osteoporosis, as well as sporadic migraine headaches. My doctor used to fondly call me a "muscular-skeletal disaster area." Add neurological to that, and you have a pretty complete picture of my issues with chronic pain. My opiate consumption and tolerance reached levels where absolutely nothing would help the pain...or so I thought. Withdrawal was excruciating, but it didn't last forever. Then, I had to deal with my pain threshold, which was so low from all the narcotics, a breeze on my legs would send me into tears. Literally. I cried everytime I took a shower.

The doctor who treated me in rehab (I needed hospital-based rehab...there was no getting around it in my case) was an addictologist (think that's how it's spelled), and I thank GOD I ended up with him. The things he and the physical therapists suggested initially increased my pain, but I was in a safe environment where I had a lot of support, everyone telling me, "You can do this. We're here for you." They let me whine, cry, bitch, moan as much as I wanted, and little by little, the tide began to turn. My pain tolerance leveled out, then began to increase.

I've learned a bunch of non-chemical methods of pain relief. Meditation is my best friend. I use music, aroma therapy, creative visualization, and lots of prayer. I take hot baths, have an intimate relationship with my heating pad, always have a candle lit, and I treat myself to new, fluffy pillows on a regular basis (body pillows are a godsend!). I accept that I have a different tolerance for activity than some people, and I respect it, taking frequent breaks, don't let myself get too hungry, read lots of engrossing books, and do what I can to be useful to others...meaning, I try to listen to them instead of constantly focusing on me and my issues.

Three months clean, I fell and crushed my lower leg. I was hospitalized for five days on very strong narcotics. It was a nightmare...but the folks in the fellowship surrounded me, kept giving me pep talks, and I made it through. I could not have done it alone without relapse. The doctor released me on a low dose of Percocet, which was given to a non-addict friend to dispense to me, and I tapered off without any withdrawals or rebound dependence. Six months later, by way of a lot of physical therapy and the methods above, I parked my wheelchair and haven't returned to it since.

About a year and a half clean, I had infection in a tooth that was mid-way through a root canal, and I was miserable. My dentist found an anti-inflammatory that helped while the anti-biotics did their job without giving me the normal severe gastric reaction that I usually experience.

I truly believe that if I hadn't found a program (I go to AA, mainly, though both fellowships have played a big part in my recovery), I would not have been able to get or stay clean. I needed the spiritual change brought about by the steps. I needed to realize my own worth as a human being. I needed to see that others with challenges were living sober lives and that I could, too. After all, we all have challenges in life. Mine is pain...and raising four teenagers! Others have challenges that might not seem as extreme, but I really wouldn't want to trade mine for anyone else's. After all, by learning that I had to slow down if I wanted to function, I've been able to see things that others who become accustomed to hurrying often miss. Gratitude is the key for me.

I don't know if any of this has been helpful in a practical way, but I hope that you can find something in it that you can use.

I'll be praying for you....so many did it for me, and that's proof enough for me that it works.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

P.S. Alycia, you remain in my prayers, girl...hang in there!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
help123

Thank you Sugah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will definetly use them. Some of them I already do, when I stop and think about it. Also, I would like to point out another one. Get up and go!!! Sometimes I hurt so bad, I make myself get up and go somewhere. It feels a lot better, church is another one that I do. Sugah, you kind of know how I feel, with osteogensis Imperfect, it is like osteoporsis! (sp?) Also, I have buldging discs in my neck and bad teeth which cuz many headaches and migraines. I am actually going to the doc today hopefully, cuz my elbows, wrists, and fingers, keep going number when I am trying to sleep. It is very painful. I also have 3 kidneys so I get many kidney infections, I think I have one today, cuz my back hurts and other things. Well, thanks for listening! I hope everything goes better for you klouise! Love ya!!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks So Much

I have several health problems like you do.My doctors think I have MS.I am not sure. However, i have gotten to the point that no matter how many narcotic pain medications I take. I am still in pain. I have been in the ER twice in the last 4 weeks because of overdosing on the pain medications and these pain medications mixing with the other medications. The first time in the Er, the doctor actially gave me a prescription for a stronger narcotic pain medication. This doctor felt that if i was given a stronger narcotic pain medication. Then i wouldn't take has much at one time. This was probably not the best thing for this doctor to do. I do not like the pain medications my doctor gives me. So, I have gotten to where I get them from people I know. Last Saturday, I ran a red-light because of driving under the influence...My 16 yr son was with me. This was a bigwake up call for me...
Anyway, I haven't tooken anything for about 11 hours. I feel like I am not going to get thorugh this day. I am really hurting. Like you said, the slightest breeze makes my legs and arms ached.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
help123

Oh, sweetheart! I am sorry to hear about that! 11 hrs is great, keep going and post please so I know how your doing! Love ya!