Notices

Can't take much more!!! Advice please

Old 07-24-2005, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Can't take much more!!! Advice please

The anxiety is just getting to be too much. The physical feelings from it are what I can't stand, just puts me in a panic. I am on meds to keep my heart rate down but the rest is still there. I think I will go nuts. I see the psych dr on the 3rd but I'm looking for opinions. I have never been hospitalized and I wonder if that might be what I need. I feel like crying most of the time because the feelings are so overwhelming. I try to think of othr things, keep busy and concentrate on anything but how I physically feel, doesn't work. I'm sure I'm going insane. And it's not passing. It even wakes me up at night more now. I am starting to understand why people commit suicide and it scares me. I won't do it but I wonder if the hospital might help. Just don't know what to do.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there...

I suffer with anxiety as well...

What I am learning today is that all my emotional and thought chaos is a result of irrational thinking and beliefs...

duh eh...??

But... that being the case... then I should... as a thinking adult... be able to counter these irrational beliefs and correct their impact in my life...

.. and that is what I'm beginning to do now...

I find this site extremely helpful... although it can be very overwhelming as well.... as they is sooo much information on it...

http://www.coping.org/

Understanding our disease is the antidote...
Old 07-24-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Thanks I will check it out, looks like a lot to read but I will do anything to make me better at this point!
hugs, kathy
Old 07-24-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anxiety is merciless as is depression. Know that many of us here understand and sympathize.
I am unable to control my anxiety without medical assistance. I was once hospitalized for severe depression and it felt like a retreat. I liked being locked in and the break it gave me and it kept me from being around people and acting out...I was going thro a divorce from hell. I don't ever desire to become sick enough to be hospitalized again, but at the time it was for my own good.
Even tho' I am in a rough spot myself at this time, I know that I have experienced more wellness and happiness in the past year than ever before. I know what I am struggling with now WILL get better..and that is the experience I wish to share with you. We can and do get better than anything we have ever known before.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I don't do the medicine thing either, I just know that this too will pass and it sucks being there some times I know but it does get better. I was suicidal about a month and I posted it here, these people helped me out a lot and a lot was to go see a shrink I was going to and then I decided that maybe I should rely on God. I still have my up and downs but they are nothing like they were. It just takes time. Love you Vic
Old 07-24-2005, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm pulling for you na4today. Don't lose heart. Have you looked up your med? Some can make these things worse. Even ones that are supposed to help. This might sound lame, but can you put on headphones with some really soothing music that you like and go for a walk in a park? That might help at least a bit. Take care. Let us know what happens.
Sincerely, Cate.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

when I get the physical feelings from the anxiety, it's like my body is fighting against me and if I move around too much it just gets worse. I have to lay or sit down or my panic gets real bad. The meds I am taking are Inderal LA to keep my heart rate down and that seem to be ok but I still get that flutter feeling it just doesn't feel like it's going to jump out of my chest. Dr gave me Xanax to keep the anxiety in check but I just don't want to take it since it's so addicting. I just don't know what I am going to do until I see the dr. Thanks for the advice Cate, it's not lame.

lucky...I don't know how you deal with the anxiety without taking anything, I know sooner or later it will pass, but one night it literally lasted for 7 hours and then my hubby got nervous about it and took me to the hospital. They did an EKG and gave me a Xanax and about an hour later I felt some better. Then they sent me on my way.

kathy
Old 07-25-2005, 03:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
All in God's Hands

Kathy
My sister in law takes Gabitrol(sp) and says that is works well for her anxiety. It is not addictive. She has panic attacks so bad that she can barely leave the house at times. I hope that this is something that helps you.
Heather
Old 07-25-2005, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

na4today wrote:

"when I get the physical feelings from the anxiety, it's like my body is fighting against me and if I move around too much it just gets worse. I have to lay or sit down or my panic gets real bad. The meds I am taking are Inderal LA to keep my heart rate down and that seem to be ok but I still get that flutter feeling it just doesn't feel like it's going to jump out of my chest. Dr gave me Xanax to keep the anxiety in check but I just don't want to take it since it's so addicting. I just don't know what I am going to do until I see the dr. Thanks for the advice Cate, it's not lame."

If moving around makes things worse-sometimes I have to lay in bed, but I do it with some music that makes you feel good-nothing too stimulating of course, with headphones and at least the music can help take your mind off what's happening. At least enough to calm you down a bit. I know I keep bringing up music, but like exercise, music stimulates endorphins-which give us natural opiates-which are a good thing. If you really REALLY can't stand it-you could take a xanax. But. And as I'm tapering off this-you should know that I'm biased against this drug-try not to take it every day or for more than 2 weeks. If you just have to take it once in a blue moon-then great. I have found being on xanax for 3 years and now tapering that it eventually increased my anxiety, my irritability and my depression. So I think you are right not to use it. But, for a crisis-there's nothing like xanax-it's the Mohammed Ali for anxiety. Of course, everyone is different and your mileage may vary. If you can somehow do the paper bag trick or use music or anything you like-watch movies-if you can-I find that if I can find something strong enough to focus on (that doesn't need much focusing power) that my mind will be taken off it and it helps. What about lying in bed with one of those relaxation tapes-you know-they have birds or oceans or someone with a soothing voice leading you through a breathing or a visualization. Have you tried visualizing? You know, imagining yourself somewhere beautiful and happy-how does the waterfall (waves, birds, Viggo Mortensen) look-what does it sound like? I find visualizing with the music of my choice actually does help-so do candlelit baths-sometimes I'm in there for 2 hours.
here's a link for inderal just for the heck of it: http://www.psyweb.com/Drughtm/inderal.html
Also you could try looking here for non benzo meds
http://crazymeds.org/ -scroll down the left hand frame until you get to Non-Benzodiazepine Anti-Anxiety Medications.
Take care na4today!! Keep us informed.

Sincerely, Cate.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Thanks The other night I made my hubby tell me a story about Puerto Rico. he is from there and he told me about the rain forest and the beach and birds, ect... it helped a little.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i have found that if i take long deep breaths, and count backwards from 300 by 3's, that it relaxes me during an anxiety attack........give it a try, it couldnt hurt, it really keeps your mind occupied
Old 07-26-2005, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

Thanks EEEK, I will try anything.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

((( NA4))) Keep the faith !
Old 07-26-2005, 08:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

(((Trish))) thanks