Notices

Dilantin

Old 07-25-2005, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dilantin

Does any one have any experience with Dilantin and various antidepressent reactions. Or anyone's reactions with alcohol, etc...
Thank you,
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Larry, I don't have any experience with the combo, or dilantin at all. But I was drawn to the thread because it was one of the meds my mom took. But then she took all kinds.
Isn't that a seizure med? My mom had epilepsy. I thought that one she took was for that. My mom is no longer living, or I' ask her. Becuase she abused all sorts of meds, and was taking that.
But you can look it up on the net. In a search engine. You should find some info.
Why are you asking? If I may ask????
Have a good day, Love, Becky
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Dilantin (phenytoin). I'd never thought that I'd see it, but it's being studying as a mood stabilizer. This is not a first-line med. It's not even a second-line med. This is for when you're running out of options. It's like that for epilepsy, too. When nothing else is working, Dilantin is a stand-by. One of the studies had it compared to a placebo and Haldol for bipolar mania. That's some real old-school medicatin', and that study was done in 2000. You have to be real careful mixing it with other meds. Tegretol and Trileptal decrease its effectiveness. Benzos make it much more effective. You don't know what the hell will happen when mixing it with Depakote/Depakene. And SSRIs? It could get toxic on you. Be prepared to sound drunk all the time. You won't feel drunk, you'll just sound like you are. But if everything else has failed, it's one more horsie on the med-go-round."
That is from www.crazymeds.org
Also it mentions interactions with antidepressants and dilantin here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-antidepressants

I'd talk to your pharmacist and doctor.

I have no personal experience with this, but if you are taking dilantin and an antidepressant, I'd look into it.
Take care Larry.
Sincerely, Cate.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi, I take seroquel for anxiety with is also used for epilepsy. Not familar with dilatin. I do have a friend on another epilepsy med. for depression. There is no medication for depression that I know of that should be mixed with alcohol.
Bad combo. Hope i was able to help. Kerry
Old 07-27-2005, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't mix it with alcohol! It'll knock you out and make you weird! My only experience with it has been with two older men.. in their 70's. I know it does not get along with a lot of medications so check it out! I know there are other better epilepsy medications out there that are kinder and more interactive with other meds.

Hope it helps!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All in God's Hands

I checked with my aunt who was on this med for a lot of years and she said to very careful. DO NOT forget that you have taken it only to take it twice. She was put in the hosptal on an OD because of this. She did not however tell me how many milligrams shw was taking. Also backed up the whole do not drink issue.
HEather
Old 07-28-2005, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by larry g
Does any one have any experience with Dilantin and various antidepressent reactions. Or anyone's reactions with alcohol, etc...
Thank you,
Dear Larry-Dilantin, which is used for seizures is NOT to be mixed with Alcohol at all........NOPE or other drugs. It has many potential side effects...look them up on Web M.D. I know this to be very true that Dilantin can cause more seizures when taken with booze, etc.........Kahlia