Notices

Cymbalta withdrawal??

Old 07-18-2005, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Cymbalta withdrawal??

I am going to try to get off Cymbalta because of my weight gain. I have been on it for probably close to a year I think. I only take 30mg and the only dose lower than that is 20mg, so there is no easy way to taper it off. Has anyone here been through Cymbalta withdrawal? I would love to hear some experiences with this. Thanks!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-19-2005, 12:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Eddie, I don't know about Cymbalta, but have been reading about it-sure you have too. One thing I read is to open up the capsules or cutting the pills and taper down that way. I also read that is Cymbalta is similiar to Effexor. So I would suggest looking into opening the capsules and tapering that way. Found this:

Each person will respond differently to stopping serotonin boosters, or Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI's). By stopping cold turkey, serotonergic activity will drop drastically. Hence withdrawal side-effects may appear such as electrical surges/shocks in the head (brain shivers) and/or body, pins and needles on the skin, feelings as being on the verge of losing consciousness, blackouts, short term memory problems, etc.. Above mentioned side effects refer to epileptiform activity, or electrical discharges, in the brain. When dosages are cut back, (withdrawal) side-effects are at least minimized. No one should stop taking their medication cold turkey, but anti-depressant use should be tapered off very, very slowly.

The Right Way to Wean Off an (SSRI/SNRI/SSNRI) antidepressant
How should I taper off and how long should I take to taper off?
Work closely with a doctor. Don’t go off medication without medical supervision. The best way to minimize withdrawal side effects is to wean off the medication. By reducing the dosage in small increments, your serotonergic system can gradually take over it's own natural serotonin producing activity and slowly adapt to living without the drug. This process may take up to a year or longer. (*)Some doctors are halving the dose every week or two. We do not recommend to taper off that fast. Nor do we recommend to skip daily doses. Taper gradually with an absolute maximum of 5% per week. When it gets down to the smallest dose, (10mg capsule), you can try "The Orange Juice Bit", "Cutting Tablets" or "Oral Suspensions-Liquid Preparations":

"Orange Juice Bit"
pour a glass of orange juice
pull apart the capsule and stir into the orange juice
drink 9/10 of it and repeat this every day until the 7th day
the next week drink 8/10 of it until the 14th day, then 7/10 until the 21th day, 6/10 until the 28th day, and so on...
repeat the "orange juice bit" several weeks until you've totally come off your (SSRI) antidepressant...
Never ever use Grapefruit Juice. Grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of the cytochrome P-450 enzymes. These enzymes are known to metabolize (break down) (SSRI) antidepressants in the liver. Drinking grapefruit juice whilst you are taking an (SSRI) antidepressant can create a serious toxic reaction, because the chemical ingredient will build to toxic levels in the bloodstream!
"Cutting Tablets"
If you don't take capsules but tablets, you can try to chip smaller doses off the tablets. Unfortunately this is a very uneasy task. (*)You could order a pill cutter or pill splitter at your local pharmacist to facilitate this procedure. Pill-cutters aren't that expensive.
"Oral Suspensions-Liquid Preparations"
A much better way to wean off when it gets down to the smallest dose is simply to turn to your doctor who can provide you a liquid preparation (oral suspension-10 mg./5 ml.) of Paxil, Prozac or Zoloft and possibly more liquid versions of other SSRI's. Most people don't know about it, or don't consider it because it's supposedly for kids. It's very easy to use and more reliable then chopping up tablets. Ask your doctor for it !"

(*)Some of this sounds like a little much. I am tapering twice as fast as I read what was recommended and so far I'm doing fine. But at least it gives you an option.
So I would talk to your doctor and either buy a pill cutter or do the orange juice thing with the capsules.
(*) You can also ask pharmacists to cut the pills. At least I have. But you would know more about this than me.
Good luck Eddie!!
Sincerely, Cate.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you very much, Cate! I may try mixing the powder in juice and tapering that way. The instructions above do sound extremely conservative. My pharmacist also recommended that since Cymbalta has a long half-life, I could go to every other day dosing and do it that way. I didn't take any this morning, so we'll see what happens.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"The instructions above do sound extremely conservative."

I agree, I'd try the juice thing, but I'd go faster than that personally. Hope today works out!! You will find the best way to do this for you and you'll be fine.
Much love, Cate.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thanks again, Cate!! I'll let you all know how it goes, of course.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-23-2005, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Well, I tried mixing the capsule contents in apple juice and it turns out they won't dissolve, so I got some empty caps from my pharmacist and attempted to divvy up the little pellets. Rather difficult 'cause they're very roly-poly, but I think I took about 15mg on Thursday and that's all I've had since Monday.

I seem to be getting rather ill-tempered, though. I don't know if it's PMS or the lack of Cymbalta, but I'm definitely irritable. Other than that, I'm OK. I think I'm even sweating less already. LOL.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-23-2005, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, good for you Eddie. I'm sorry to hear that you are irritable-but you know that you may experience some effects. I wonder if the orange juice-since it's more acidic would dissolve the things better? But you've figured out a way so, that's good. So you've halved your dose-is that right? Did you ask your pharmacist if they have that liquid stuff? So have you decided how fast you will taper-or are you playing that by ear for now? Keep us informed, and I hope you sail through this thing with as little discomfort as possible. I'll pulling for you Eddie!
Sincerely, Cate.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by dmajor7th
I wonder if the orange juice-since it's more acidic would dissolve the things better?
Thanks again, Cate!! I thought about the acid in the orange juice but I wanted something I could see through, you know? I did ask the pharmacist about a liquid. No dice there. I am just playing it by ear, seeing what happens. Like you said, there are going to be some effects even with a taper. I also have a bit of a tremor which I think may be related. I haven't taken any since Thursday and I haven't even decided whether I'll take any today or not. We'll see. LOL.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-24-2005, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I hope you're feeling not too bad. Yes, a tremour sounds like an AD withdrawal effect. You haven't taken any since Thursday? Wow. If weird things start to happen, take a little bit. Take care, Eddie and keep us informed!
Sincerely, Cate.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Well, I started feeling really weird this evening after continuing to be cranky all day, so I took the other half of the capsule I split on Thursday. My husband was kind of freaked out 'cause I was acting strange or something and he thinks I should just stay on the stuff. I feel better, though, now, after taking a little bit, so I think I'll continue to taper.

Thank you, Cate!!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-24-2005, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

((( Eddie )))

I know about the weight gain! I have switched acouple of times myself because of it. G*d forbid I should exercise and change my diet. Eddie are you doing this with your Doctor's knowledge? I have some concerns for you.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by miraclen2003
Eddie are you doing this with your Doctor's knowledge? I have some concerns for you.
Thanks, Trish!! Yes, I discussed it with the doctor. We decided I could try to go off it. It may not work, obviously, but I'm really not happy with how heavy I am. I already exercise regularly. As far as diet, the Cymbalta I think makes me crave sweets, so that's difficult to control. Plus I'm compulsive in that area, too, anyway. Thanks for thinking of me!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-25-2005, 08:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Eddie wrote:

"I feel better, though, now, after taking a little bit, so I think I'll continue to taper. "

I think that's a good idea. I read that this drug is similiar to Effexor. I haven't heard about Cymbalta, but I have read lots of stories of people coming off Effexor I think tapering is the right track. Slow and easy does it and you'll be fine. Of course, having been on neither of these drugs myself, I could go jump in a lake, but I've just done my hair thankyou.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I know as a healthcare professional, I would tell a patient on ANY antidepressant to taper off slowly, so you needn't jump in a lake and mess up your hair. LOL. Funny how we fail to take our own advice, though.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-28-2005, 11:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So how's it going?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thanks for asking and reminding me to update this thread, Cate!! I haven't taken any Cymbalta since Sunday night and I seem to be fine. I'll probably try to divvy up another capsule, though, and take about a third of it just to be on the safe side. I believe the crankiness I experienced last week was probably PMS because it hasn't been a problem this week.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-28-2005, 04:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Since Sunday!!! And you feel fine?!! Wow. I'm really glad to hear it!
Cate.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Just fine! Thanks, Cate!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No expectations!

A whole week, no Cymbalta, and I am just fine! My sweets cravings may already be diminishing too. Hurrah! Maybe I can get some of this weight off now.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-01-2005, 07:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's great Eddie! Good luck on the weight loss!
Sincerely, Cate