Notices

Cymbalta withdrawal??

Old 08-01-2005, 11:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you, as always, Cate! The scale at the YWCA says I've lost three pounds already, but it's always saying something different every time I get on it, so we'll see. I really need to get some structure with regard to my eating anyway. I'm hoping that not wanting to eat ice cream all the time will help. lol.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-02-2005, 01:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

cymbalta almost killed me

no exaggerastion i was put on it and within a week i was out of my head in a bad way
ok i'm not exactly 'normal' whatever the heck that is but it really screwed me up mentally and physically
i spent 4 days in the hospital just to start recovering
i hope the withdrawls aren't as bad for you since you've been on it so long and must have tolerated it well ask about switching to symbyax
similar type AD but less case of side effects and really causes you to sleep well without hangover
all this of course is just in my case and i'm no doctor but it's worth checking out
plus it only takes about 2 days to build in your system unlike the 2 weeks of alot of them
hope this helps
Old 08-02-2005, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you, bpj!! I appreciate the feedback. You're bipolar, right? Bipolar patients should never be put on antidepressants alone because of exactly what happened to you. Are you on Symbyax now? That's designed not to cause the problems you had with the Cymbalta.

After being "normal" for over a week, I think the lack of Cymbalta really showed itself today. I got very irritable and anxious this afternoon. I'm just not used to having much emotional reaction to things and it kind of took me by surprise. I'm OK now, but I'll have to be aware that I may actually have feelings now! LOL.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-02-2005, 10:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Eddie, I was wondering if some withdrawal might kick in after a while. I don't know with these drugs-I know some other drugs, you think you're ok after a week and then it hits you. Don't know if that's what happened to you or if as you said-just had some strong feelings-which I guess could be your brain adapting too. Whatever is it, I hope it's not too bad and doesn't last. Keep the faith
Cate.

Bassplayerjazz, that must have been horrible. I've read of Bi Polars being put on ADs and sometimes they find out they are Bi Polar by having an extremely bad reaction to these drugs. Doctors are too bloody quick in their prescribing and diagnosing in a lot of cases.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Hi guys, my questions are kind of along these lines so I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me.

I've been on Effexor for nearly 3 years and my doc is changing my to Cymbalta. I haven't had any problems with Effexor, but I'm still battling depression (even though I'm also on Welbutrin and Lamictal).

How likely is it that I will gain weight on Cymbalta? and how much?

My doc told me to start off with 30 mg a day of Cymbalta for one week and then go up to 60 mg. She said to stop taking the Effexor when I went up to 60 mg. Unfortunatly, I don't have a good doc and she didn't tell me to taper off, but rather just to stop all together. Today was my first day on 60 mg and I starting feeling the electrical/tings of withdraw from the Effexor.

My normal dose of Effexor is 300 mg, so I only took 150 mg today. Do you think this is okay? I figure I should stay at 150 mg for a week and then go down to 75 mg for a week and then off completely the next week? Any thoughts?

I go back to see my doc Monday, so I can ask her about it then, but I don't really know what I should do in the mean time?

And I'm wondering if making the switch is even a good idea since I didn't have any weight problems or other with the Effexor?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Hugs,
Jenna
Old 08-03-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you, as always, Cate!!

Jenna,
Read my post to you on Cate's Lamictal thread, too. Unfortunately, you won't know if the Cymbalta will make you gain until you try it. Just be aware that if you do gain weight, that's probably the culprit. As far as the withdrawal from the Effexor goes, you shouldn't really have much because you've added the Cymbalta. Make sense? But your plan to taper the Effexor sounds like a good cautious idea.

And as far as making the switch, if the Effexor hasn't been helping, then you don't need to keep taking it. I personally got GREAT results from the combination of Wellbutrin and Cymbalta in terms of alleviating my depression, so maybe it will be the same for you, minus the weight gain, of course. And I was only taking 30mg! I would keep that ECT option open in my mind, too, if the Cymbalta doesn't do the trick.

Hope this helps!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I actually cried last night. I was cleaning up papers and found my late Patsy's vet records. I just couldn't face going through them right then. I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad sign.

I'm thinking I might want to try Effexor again. I believe I need something that works on serotonin and it shouldn't interact too badly with all the other stuff. Plus it's not likely to cause more weight gain either.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-07-2005, 06:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to have something to replace the Cymbalta. Went to see Charlie & the Chocolate Factory today and kept choking up and tearing up towards the beginning. So I'm apparently getting weepy. I'm still not sure that's totally a bad sign, but I'm thinking it's not that good either.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-08-2005, 10:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddie z.
I actually cried last night. I was cleaning up papers and found my late Patsy's vet records. I just couldn't face going through them right then. I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad sign.

I'm thinking I might want to try Effexor again. I believe I need something that works on serotonin and it shouldn't interact too badly with all the other stuff. Plus it's not likely to cause more weight gain either.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
have you ever considered taking depakote with an ssri? sometimes if the frontal lobe isnt functioning properly, or has minor damage (it can happen easily, bumps, jolts, even lightly banging your head on something) anticonvulsants help the ssri work properly, im not sure about ssnri though

best of luck
Old 08-08-2005, 11:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by EEEK!
have you ever considered taking depakote with an ssri?
I use to take Depakote back when they thought I was bipolar, but I don't think I need a mood stabilizer now. I think the Strattera and Wellbutrin have my frontal lobes covered, too. But thanks for the suggestion, EEEK!

I'm pretty sure I'll ask the doc to try me back on Effexor rather than re-starting the Cymbalta. I've been on Effexor by itself and that just didn't cut it, but I think with the other stuff on board it should help with the moodiness.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-09-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Eddie, I'm weepy too-the benzo withdrawal is really doing a number on me, so I can relate. I just wondered if you are weepy or depressed? I would imagine that emotions coming to the surface and crying spells would be perfectly natural in your situation. Your brain is adapting I guess. It should hopefully be better in more time. If you are majorly depressed however, that is another matter. Hope you are ok.
Sincerely, Cate.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you, Cate!! I'm just a little weepy, not depressed. Now I have another sick pet to worry about and I almost lost it again in the vet's office today. I think if the news had been more definite or worse I probably would have broken down, but they really don't know what's wrong with her, so I kept my composure.

I see my therapist tomorrow and I'll talk to her about all this, too. I'm strongly leaning towards adding some Effexor in. I'm looking for work and I don't need to be all weepy when I'm facing interviews and such. I can't remember if you're taking anything for depression/anxiety other than the remaining benzos, but if not, an SSRI or Effexor may be helpful. Just a thought.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-09-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Eddie, I'm just on 10 mgs of amitriptyline for sleep other than the xanax. You have job interviews and stuff-it must be really tough and having another pet sick-that just adds insult to injury. I'm going to try to see what my brain is like without anything -I haven't been drug free, well for decades-so I want to see where I'm at. I don't have any responsibilities so it's a lot easier. If it gets bad I will definitely do something about it. I hope your appointment tomorrow goes well.
Take care.
Cate.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Thank you, ((((Cate))))!! That would be cool if you could do without anything. I just worry, for myself anyway, about relapsing on drugs of abuse if I don't have medication to keep me stable, you know? Like my husband and I had a bit of a fight last night and I actually wanted to use. That's a rare thing and I think yet another sign that I need an additional antidepressant. So be careful and don't put your recovery at risk, OK?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-10-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Eddie. I won't put myself at risk. If I really get depressed or anything, I will go go to the doctor. I hope your pet is ok. And your interviews go well. Take care. Sincerely, Cate.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome always, Cate, and again, thank you!

Saw my therapist this morning and she wanted me to go ahead and call my doctor about the Effexor. But when I looked at my calendar, I saw that my next appointment is on Monday, so I'm just going to wait. I think I'll be alright between now and then. lol.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-14-2005, 06:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Well, I see the doctor tomorrow. I'm going to ask if he'll add Effexor to my regimen. Shouldn't be a problem. And it should help me deal with some issues with my husband and with my sick kitty. Thanks, all, for the support!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-14-2005, 11:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow, Eddie. I hope the Effexor helps. I love your new avatar-I used to to have that picture-somewhere, I remember it from my childhood. How's your kitty?
Cate.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by dmajor7th
I used to to have that picture-somewhere, I remember it from my childhood.
Thanks, Cate!! Yeah, we must be about the same age because I had a framed print of that picture over my bookshelf when I was a kid, too. And I had a jigsaw puzzle of the kitty below. Same artist, someone called Gig. They copied Gig's style in Shrek 2 when Puss-in-Boots did his pitiful look. I thought that was hysterical.

Mariann doesn't look quite that bad although she has lost 1/3 of her body weight and her coat is very rough. I'm just accepting that she probably won't live much longer and trying to keep her comfortable and happy. Thanks for asking!

Love and hugs,
Eddie

Last edited by eddie z.; 09-28-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:43 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
No expectations!

The doc agreed with me about the Effexor, so he gave me some starter samples and I went ahead and started today. Now we'll see how this goes! LOL.

Love and hugs,
Eddie