Notices

seroquel ???

Old 06-10-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

seroquel ???

Hi all.

Just got back from doctor, talking about my never-ending battle with getting of the xanax completely. I have (over the last 6 weeks) cut my daily dose in half, but due to some very traumatic events in my life (last week or so) have found the anxiety literally paprlyzes me. Can't get out of bed, can't function. Basically, I am regressing and real pi$$ed that this is happening now that I am finally on my to recovery (I'm on suboxone & am responding very well to it - no cravings and huge steps in re-structuring my life). So, there is NO WAY IN HE!! I would consider using dope to deal with my issues - that's not the problem - it's the freakin anxiety and my desire to live without ANY narcotics (which includes my prescribed xanax)

Anyhow, today doc gave me some seroquel and said to take it before bed, but not much else. I know my sister takes it for BPD, and have noticed a few folks on the forum take it. My question is - what is it intended for? I always thought it was an anti-psychotic. I have a small dose (25mg) that I am supposed to take every night, but would like some additional info? Anyone??

Thanks - you all rock!

Much Love: SS
Old 06-10-2005, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

SS,
Friendly pharmacist here. Seroquel is an antipsychotic but it's frequently used for other things as well, as you have seen. Did the doc not say why he was giving it to you? Is it supposed to replace the Xanax eventually? It is sedating but is not particularly good for anxiety so I'm not really sure why he chose it unless you are having trouble sleeping, too. Is the doc an actual psychiatrist or just a family doctor? Did you have any other questions in particular? I think I've asked more questions than I answered here. LOL. You can always PM me if you like as well.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-10-2005, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
X IV

I take seroquel for sleep. Dr. gave it to me while I have been detoxing off methadone.
In my experience it has worked, puts me right to sleep. Just feel a little sleepy in am but goes away pretty quick. I was freaked out about taking it because of it's label. Another Dr. friend said that it is often used "off label" for sleep. So I tried it and it worked for the most part. Sometimes I still had premature waking. But for those crazy nights it does work for me.
lbadeker
Old 06-10-2005, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

What Libbi said!! You don't want to STAY on the Seroquel and trazodone IS a good alternative for sleep.

-ez
Old 06-11-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aw, thanks guys!!!

I think my doc is giving it to me to help with severe anxiety that is causing sleep problems. When I read the replies I remembered what my sis said about weight gain. She was/is on an evil combo of methadone and seroquel andis gaining weight to no end! I feel so bad for her!

I took a seroquel before bed last night and it did knock me. I did not budge until 11am! But my sleep was filed with nightmares and waking up screaming! Might not all be the seroquel, though, I've ben havingthosekind of sleeps for the last few weeks. I tried an OTC sleep aid, and then felt so shittie and guilty I threw them away.

I've been on trazadone before, lordy, I've been on almost everything. Nothing helps with the anxiety more than the xanax, but I must find something else. (Currenlty working on yoga and breathing - NOT helping!!!)

Thanks again to all of you!
Old 06-11-2005, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shestruggles
Hi all.

Just got back from doctor, talking about my never-ending battle with getting of the xanax completely. I have (over the last 6 weeks) cut my daily dose in half, but due to some very traumatic events in my life (last week or so) have found the anxiety literally paprlyzes me. Can't get out of bed, can't function. Basically, I am regressing and real pi$$ed that this is happening now that I am finally on my to recovery (I'm on suboxone & am responding very well to it - no cravings and huge steps in re-structuring my life). So, there is NO WAY IN HE!! I would consider using dope to deal with my issues - that's not the problem - it's the freakin anxiety and my desire to live without ANY narcotics (which includes my prescribed xanax)

Anyhow, today doc gave me some seroquel and said to take it before bed, but not much else. I know my sister takes it for BPD, and have noticed a few folks on the forum take it. My question is - what is it intended for? I always thought it was an anti-psychotic. I have a small dose (25mg) that I am supposed to take every night, but would like some additional info? Anyone??

Thanks - you all rock!

Much Love: SS
Hey There, I am bipolar and am prescribed Lithium(for mania) and Seroquel for sleep, it is intended to help with the Mania of the BPD DISORDER AND FOR the most part works well, In the mornings it takes awhile to get out of the Seroquel haze, but anything is better than the xanax addiction i had for the last 5 years, be careful Xanax attacks the central nervous system in the same way Oxy's do which makes it extremely hard to kick, I had to go to Detox for a week to help with my withdrawl, They encouged the use of Seroquel for sleep I take 100mg every night, If i feel its too much I only take half.Bipolar is no joke and I have been self medicating myself for yeARS, i AM EXTREMELY GRATEFUL FOR THE INSIGHT i HAVE RECEIVED FRM NA AND AA, AND i just recently discovered this website and its been a blessing, Thanks for sharing all your stories, Even though Seroquel is a anti-psycotic it works wonders for many other things.One day at a time, Recovering Opiate addict. :hello2 :hello2
Old 06-11-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
X IV

Good job on the keep trying shestruggles! I am sorry about your bad dreams... Do you pray before you sleep? Just curious. I can't remember if you go to meetings either but, those really help me w/ anxiety. I guess I am lucky I never gained a lot of weight on methadone and I am taking the seroquel during detox so I have actually lost almost 15bs In the last 18 days...... !8 days no methadone I still have to manage the symptoms but it is getting easier.
God Bless,
lbadeker
Old 06-11-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, SS!! Have you been on BuSpar ever?

Opiate Addict/JackMack,
Welcome to SR! We're glad you're here and thanks for sharing, too!!

Hey, lbadeker!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-14-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
This catz gone wild!!!

I have used valerian root/camomile combination (either tinctures or compounded into capsules). They are both non-addictive herbal remedies. I used to take Klonipin to sleep and atavan during the day for axiety, at one point I was supposed to take 1 ativan every 4 hours during the day, and 2 klonpin at night (prescribed!!!) for axiety and insomnia. Now, I am relaxed enough to that i don't take anything for sleep anymore, I do feel lucky! But at the time I was going through this I got desperate to try something non-addictive so I went to the local health food store and picked up a valerian/camomile mixture (can't remember the name of the mixture) but just ask the store clerk, or look for those two ingredients. I didn't believe how well they worked! Its worth a try! Take care!

Luv

Jaz
Old 06-14-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hmmm...now I am a little confused..my 4 year old takes seroquel I have always known it was in the anti psychotic family and the doctor told me that it was to help her violent impulsive behaviors (if you want detail pm me) and she started on half of 25 mg twice a day and then they recenty moved it up to 25 mg twice a day which I refuse to do...I only give it to her at bedtime which is does help her sleep....but I have never really seen it calm her to much..maybe slightly? when I was giving it to her in the morning also..so this med is usually given for bpd? they said she may have a mood disorder but that its to early to tell. sorry this topic just kinda got me wondering if she should even be taking it because I had never heard of it before she started it almost a year ago...and even if I wanted her off of it I wouldnt know how...its so complicated..sorry for rambling I know this is not my thread but thnx for listening
Old 06-14-2005, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I don't know about an addict taking Valerian root. That's where Valium got its name, so I heard, and we were advised in treatment to avoid it. Chamomile by itself should be fine, though.

Dani,
Seroquel is an anti-psychotic, but it is used for MANY psychiatric problems besides psychotic symptoms. Examples are bipolar disorder, depression, and sleep. Does that help your confusion any?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-14-2005, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dani,
Seroquel is an anti-psychotic, but it is used for MANY psychiatric problems besides psychotic symptoms. Examples are bipolar disorder, depression, and sleep. Does that help your confusion any?

Love and hugs,
Eddie [/QUOTE]

yes that makes sense a more specific question would be should it be used to calm her violent and impulsive behavior? I just dont want her on something thats going to help that by making her sleepy and when I ask the doc about it they say not to worry about it...she will be fine..she is already on her 3 med in 2 years..and I can not find any research on how it affects children...thnx
Old 06-14-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by danidlt
I can not find any research on how it affects children.
There probably isn't any to be found. I think docs just don't know what to do about that kind of behavior so they do trial and error. Has she been tried on any stimulants or ADHD meds such as Ritalin or Adderall? They're supposed to help with impulsivity. I think your concern is legitimate. If the Seroquel works at all, it sounds like it's just because it makes her drowsy. Am I right?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-14-2005, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

she has been on clonadine? tenex and now this...and yes since I do not give it to her during the day anymore all it does is make her sleepy..it made her a zombie for about an hour in the morning and then it was back to the "regular behavior" so I figure yeah an hour of peace is nice but not worth it since this med is so expensive..Im lost at what to do with her anymore...mostly people just tell me I am a bad pareant and I need to whoop her ass and blah blah..but I am not one that believes a good spanking will make her listen...we have spanked and it doesnt work and I will not do anything more violent than that..trust me we have tried EVERYTHING she goes to pre k in aug hopefully this will help until I can get my life straight cause Im sure that affects it to...they need schedules and al that I know I love to read and educate myself...anyways ty
Old 06-14-2005, 03:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No expectations!

(((Dani))),
I'm surprised that they haven't tried any stimulants. So MANY kids are on them. Might be worth a shot. I don't know. Pediatrics is not really my area. I'll keep you in my prayers, though!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 03-25-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have taken same dosage of Seroquel for almost 8 months. It was prescribed for insomnia. Also used for stress, anxiety I quess they cause the insomnia.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

I hope I can help....Seroquel is used for MANY different things, it is an anti-psychotic...it is also used for schizophrenia, my brother was schizophrenic and took 800 mgs at bedtime. He was OUT. It is usually used for anxiety and also foe sleep by most psychiatrists. I am an RN and I see most Dr's prescribe it in 25mg. doses for sleep, only and for short periods of time. It also helps with psychotic issues, such as hearing voices, being very aggressive, etc. I hope that helps someone.....You can look up the drug on WebMD.com.........PEACE ..........Kahlia
Old 03-25-2006, 09:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there,,

I am diagnosed Bi Polar and it seems that that there are a few people in my Bi-polar group that are on Seroquel for their Bi Polar,, but it is one med that I have never been prescribed. I am kind of wondering why now, if both of you say that the med seems to work well for people for anxiety and sleep, since these are 2 of my biggest problems, as far as my mental health goes. I think I will talk to my doctor about it.

I do appreciate your bringing this older thread back up. Especially since I am waiting for the person that wrote the thread, Shestruggles, to come back and post, since she has been MIA for a while.

Thanks again,,
Prayers,
Becky
Old 03-25-2006, 10:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Charlene

I have been on it for awhile and love it. The only thing is that at night you do have increased appetite as one of the side effects. But it will help you to sleep without all the racing thoughts that is what I take it for. along with Wellbutrin and campral during the day. Good luck its good....
Old 03-26-2006, 05:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No expectations!

WELCOME to SR, Charlina!! Thank you for posting that!! Hope you make yourself at home here!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie