Notices

when you think....

Old 04-21-2005, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

when you think....

you see someone from the program walk up to you to say hi...and they ask you if you're "lookin'"....well holy crap!!!!
I was in the mall yesterday for coffee..and lo and behold this happened,,i was quite shocked!!!
Of course instantly i said "NO!"
and pretty much walked away...does anyone have any ideas for a response to this situation?
For the rest of the day..and even today this has been on my mind..I refuse to throw my 316th day away!!!
Still shakin' my head....
Old 04-21-2005, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

there's an ol saying: "don't seek what they found. seek what they sought."

sure i've seen plenty of program folk who were on the hipslickcool side of using and going to meetings. [and yes, i went to one of em's memorial service not long ago] but foolin me has nuthin to do with their recovery.
I could always fool lots n lots of others.
no matter how hard i tried to fool me-it was me that always knew the truth-
BTW i think it's total chicken$hit to try to move product towards folk in recovery- lets me see how degrading and selfcentered this disease can be....might be good as a meeting topic...
Old 04-21-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wantneeda,
that hasn't happened to me, but it sounds like you gave the perfect response. Good for you!
Old 04-21-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

I've seen other things though. I'm too well out spoken about recovery and Narcotics Anonymous for my flame to be blown out and I don't shelter it either.
But, one day I drove up to a store for Ice and this guy I know from the rooms pulls up and says "Aren't you glad today is so nice, thank God we ain't gotta use", he ggoes in the store and said they didn't have what he was looking for-still not sure why he is telling me all this. So I left to go to the soccer feild with my wife and kids, go by another store, there he is carrying a case of Beer out to his car. Almost a year later he still shows up to meetings and tries to "Act as if", I know I'm not living like that, I do have hope today, I truely hope he finds it.
Todd J.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
whataday

Life doesn`t change, we do!

chris

P.S. god bless
Old 04-21-2005, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

"thank you for caring N screw U for sharing"
Some little old lady passed that on to me a long time ago.

It depens.lol
If that person is really, really sick.
I give him/she more to chew on.
I usually wink and smile...like I wanna get in their pants or sum'in.
I'm a guy...an some males don't know how to take it.
And some really takes it...lmaf

havn't you heard " My rent is free in people's head"
Old 04-22-2005, 05:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cj.
Mending

(((((wantneeda)))))

Keep On Refusing!!

It's funny how those little things can throw us for a loop! The reality is, is that not everyone who comes to recovery is there for the same thing I am there for. We have a bit of that part of the disease alive and thriving within my own home group as well, and as uncomfortable as it makes myself and others, I have no right to assume that I am sheltered from the reality of the disease even in my meeting room.

All any of us can do, I think, is to keep on sharing the message of hope and the promise of freedom. Just because I don't like what I'm seeing, doesn't mean that I have to be intimidated by it.

Peace
cj
Old 04-22-2005, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Red face Going to meetings...hmmmm

I went to a meeting.....an NA meeting, this guy is back in the kitchen making coffee...harmless enough. I had only been clean for 16 days.....I didn't know anything about NA , AA or any other type of program...just learning at that point. He kept smiling at me, I am thinking he is glad that I am at the meeting ....it kept going on and after the meting he walks up to me and says....ARE you single? I was like UH???? It was not an NA topic and I really did not know how to respond, then he says.." I thought if you were or weren't, we could go cop a couple of 8 balls" GREAT....I looked at him and said "LISTEN, I am here because I am trying to stay sane and clean, you are here because you are already INSANE.....he started laughing and went on his way...have seen him at other meetints, too. It makes me literally sick to my stomach that the addiction is so bad that people have to seek out recovering addicts to try and get them to use....I hate it. I spoke about it in a meeting once and it got a lot of anger off my chest...they are still sick and we have to remember that but it can be difficult not to BELT em..... I haven't yet and the Italian in me wants to.....errrrrrr........PEACE OUT.....Kahlia
Old 04-22-2005, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

You did good...NO and you walked away. Say a prayer for the guy, he needs it!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

yes,,,a prayer for sure....thanks
Old 04-22-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
This catz gone wild!!!

If I am not clean that day, I won't go to a meeting. I just feel its not right to be high in a room full of people that are trying to stay clean. I know they say you can go if you're high, just don't speak, but I don't think so. I also don't think its right to try to find a using buddy at a recovery meeting! I had someone walk up to me at an AA meeting and ask if I had anything or knew of anyone that had anything, I was like "no", and that was it, I didn't bother talking to that person after that. I was clean at that time in my life, and I was there to get away from the dealers! Crazy world!

jaz
Old 04-22-2005, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Truth is the only lasting joy

Maybe it's my face...the eyes, you know...
but in over 16 years I have never had anyone offer me drugs in a meeting. Or had someone who knew me from the rooms offer me any dope...

I've had plenty of active addicts ask me if I was looking, though. My response has always been the same, "not today," and then I K. I. M. (keep it movin'). I understand that this disease doesn't care who, what, when, where or how. It does what it does, and we do what we do on a daily basis.

I was one of those people who tried to fool others when I was still using... coming to meetings and getting key tags when I knew I wasn't clean, stealing the 7th Tradition when I thought no one was looking, always had a story, scam, etc. Thank God there were addicts around who loved me until I was able to love myself. As long as I stayed alive, they encouraged me to keep coming back. Damn, I'm glad I did.