Notices

Mom Of 2 Boys In Recovery

Old 02-10-2005, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mom Of 2 Boys In Recovery

I have finally been succesful in getting my sons (twins) into recovery/methadone treatment. They were involved with Oxicotyn for apparently 2-3 years. They started methadone 4 weeks ago. I am trying to be supportive but don't want to become a schmuck. I need to understand what they are going thru in this new change. The first week or so they drove me crazy racing around and cleaning, straightening shelves, and chattering to no end. This has seemed to calm down, but now they are eating ice cream, cookies, candy, soda, etc. to no end. Is this normal?? They are both currently unemployed and was wondering if I should start pushing them to get a job. Luckily I am able to support them and their program fees (although tight) but am not sure I should push the job issue just yet. Thank you to all who answer.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats on the begining of a new life for your sons. Did they want to go for tx? Thats the main thing is they have to want recovery,you cant do it for them. They are eating all the sweets because of the withdrawl from oxi. The sugar releases chemicals similar to the feeling they got from the oxycontin. As far as the cleaning, enjoy it!! I am a recoveribg addict with 14 months clean. I was addicted to pain meds too.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!
The cleaning and sweets is very normal! I'm happy they have found a means to begin the recovery process. Wow, twins! You do have your hands full. I'm not sure how old they are but if you can afford them a little more time to settle in get used to being clean, I wouldn't push the job issue immediatly. Though if you feel they are strong enough to handle the pressure of a job, depending on their age by all means hand them the classifieds!
Old 02-11-2005, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mom Of Two

Thanks Chy and Pickles, At least I now know that this is normal behavior. They are 22 but are very immature. Yes, they both did want treatment, and finally came to me after months of confrontation. I think I will back off on the work thing for awhile. One is a landscaper and will be going back to work when the weather breaks, and the other completed his CDL license a few months back. I also worry about their isolation. They are always home. Don't really have any friends or girlfriends, they seem to have lost them all along the way. me, dad, their little brother and grandparents are it.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To me you sound like one hell of a great mum! And lucky boys for having you there for them and putting up with their wayward behaviour. I have got a 14 month old baby and another one due in April so guess i have it all ahead of me - the raising and bringing up etc etc and it is kind of scary. I think, being a daughter and mother (new) that what is important is that you have their best interests at heart and i am sure they will sense or pick up on this. As far as the job thing goes i would do as the other's suggested - give it time. Recovery really is a full time job in itself and the more time they can "afford" off of it the better. That is not to say that isolating and hiding away from the world is any good either but there can be and is, a happy medium. I am sure you and they will know when the time is right to start working again. Good luck and all the best. Jo S x